Comphrensive list of "Code" calls

jrpend

On a recent (last summer) Cruise, there were a number of "Code" calls.

There are heard throughout the ship - except in the staterooms - where the say "Code Bright Angel - Forward Laundry" or "Code Bravo - Portside". The crew seems to stop for a second, listen to the announcement and then go back to work.

A kid (probably platinum elite and maybe 12 years old) told me that "Code Bravo" was man-overboard.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of "Code" calls we might hear on our upcoming Carnival cruise?

I am particularly interested in the one that is "Let's beat the passengers to the Lifeboats!" ( A smiley for the humour impaired).

Thanks,

Jerald Pendleton

On a recent (last summer) Cruise, there were a number of "Code" calls.

There are heard throughout the ship - except in the staterooms - where the say "Code Bright Angel - Forward Laundry" or "Code Bravo - Portside". The crew seems to stop for a second, listen to the announcement and then go back to work.

A kid (probably platinum elite and maybe 12 years old) told me that "Code Bravo" was man-overboard.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of "Code" calls we might hear on our upcoming Carnival cruise?

I am particularly interested in the one that is "Let's beat the passengers to the Lifeboats!" ( A smiley for the humour impaired).

Thanks,

Jerald Pendleton

With all due respect, It really is none of your business. This isn't meant to be a snarky reply either. There is a reason these announcements are given in "code". They are only intended for the response team who have to tend to the situation. If it is something that concerns everyone on the ship, clear instructions will be given. If someone is injured or passes away, they and their family are due some privacy. You don't need to know....

I really don't understand everyones fascination with this topic. Codes are given so it doesn't cause unnecessary panic or prying eyes where the general public can interfere with a life saving situation.

Again, I'm not trying to slam the OP for this post. It pops up all the time from different members.

Enjoy your cruise and mind your business... :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• Haha 1

No, it's "Bravo, Bravo" for an overboard, not a single "Bravo." That comes from Navy usage. We were on Miracle in February when the call was made of "Bravo, Bravo Portside." My fiancé, a former Navy Seal, recognized it immediately.

• Like 1

Some of those codes are actually drills.

I know a lot of people here claim that one of them means a death, but I think that is utter hogwash. Ridiculous to think they would alert the entire ship because somebody died. What business is it of the ladies in the spa or the guy who peels potatoes that there's been a death on board.

I found this list online: Code Winnie is cracking me up :p

Bravo Bravo Bravo [port/starboard] – man overboard on port or starboard side

Bright Star – death or medical emergency

Code Adam – missing child (named after Adam Walsh)

Cold Alpha or Alpha Team – medical emergency or fire

Code Baby Ruth – feces in the pool

Code Bravo – fire

Code Delta – damage to the ship or disaster or multiple injuries

Code Orange – early stages of norovirus infection on a ship (Holland America) – buffet is no longer self-serve but pools and other areas remain open

Code Oscar – man overboard

Code Papa – pollution (oil spill, etc)

Code Red – the dreaded norovirus

Code Sierra – medical emergency needing a stretcher

Code Winnie – feces in the pool (Disney)

Fallen Star – death

Priority 1 – fire (Cunard)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Code Bravo – fire

Code Orange – early stages of norovirus infection on a ship (Holland America) – buffet is no longer self-serve but pools and other areas remain open

Fallen Star – death

I always thought what you say is Code Winnie was Code Baby Ruth. Oops! Just saw it earlier in the list. I'd like to say a Rosanna Dana Never Mind. :):):):)

Edited by cruiseclues

Some of those codes are actually drills.

I know a lot of people here claim that one of them means a death, but I think that is utter hogwash. Ridiculous to think they would alert the entire ship because somebody died. What business is it of the ladies in the spa or the guy who peels potatoes that there's been a death on board.

Same could be said for any call since not all of them are drills. I think the point is to let team members know who may be anywhere on the ship in a discreet manner.

Code Bravo – fire

Fallen Star – death

Some of the above are in the "urban legend" or CD humor status. Many, as is noted above, are different between cruise lines (a company that uses "bravo/bravo/bravo" for man overboard would not use "code bravo" for a fire.

Yes, the entire ship would be notified if someone passed away, as there would be several teams required to deal with this (medical, security, the staff captain), and the members of these teams may be anywhere on the ship, and a spa attendant may be a member of the medical team (generally 5-6 crew who carry stretchers, equipment bags, and assist the responding nurse), to use the example above.

On merchant ships, the signal that cruise ships use to send the passengers to their muster stations (continuous ringing of general alarm bells and ships whistle) is used to signify "fire or general emergency" and all crew respond by going to their emergency stations. On cruise ships, there are emergency situations, including fires, that do not require the mustering of the thousand of passengers, and that can be dealt with by the emergency teams. This is the reason for the "code" calls. All crew pay attention to the code calls, but only those affected will drop their "day job" and respond. Once the emergency teams have responded to the scene of the emergency, the on-scene commander will advise the Captain whether or not the situation warrants mustering the passengers.

Generally asking the nearest crewmember what the code call meant will be all that is required. It is not a highly classified secret, just a way of disguising problems to keep the general cruising public from fretting. And knowing that a code alpha or a bright star was a medical emergency or death would not invade on the victims or their family's privacy, as there is no indication of name, maybe only a cabin number, but generally no one rushes to see what is happening.

• Like 1

With all due respect, It really is none of your business. This isn't meant to be a snarky reply either. There is a reason these announcements are given in "code". They are only intended for the response team who have to tend to the situation. If it is something that concerns everyone on the ship, clear instructions will be given. If someone is injured or passes away, they and their family are due some privacy. You don't need to know....

I really don't understand everyones fascination with this topic. Codes are given so it doesn't cause unnecessary panic or prying eyes where the general public can interfere with a life saving situation.

Again, I'm not trying to slam the OP for this post. It pops up all the time from different members.

Enjoy your cruise and mind your business... :)

I don't find this response rude at all. I also don't understand the fascination with this topic. This would have been rude if all it said was "It really isn't any of your business". Lots of overly sensitive people on this board. Just saying.....

I think an understanding of the codes could be useful or not depending on how you're planning on using it. To go be nosey and in the way.. none of your business then. But to understand and not bother the staff or figuring out you need to stay out of the way, kudos to you!

I know at my job we have the clinic side and the shelter side... 300 is used on shelter for euths and 303 in the clinic. Nobody in the shelter side knew why 303 was called over the intercom for the longest time...so I asked, it was to let staff know to be quiet as a euth for a family pet was going on in a room.

I think it is interesting to know what is going on around me.

Knowing the codes is harmless.

They use codes over the speakers in hospitals all the time.

I don't think that people come running from all over to watch a code blue or a dr emory house.

Edited by mzloolue

On or Legend cruise 2 weeks ago we had and Alpha team to deck 2 blah blah at 5am. I know thats fire so I peaked out my balconey to look for smoke, nothing, back to bed. Was on deck 6. If it was called for my deck I would have been ready to move if asked.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that other people aren't interested in knowing. I am interested in what some of the codes mean and I wouldn't ever want to get into the middle of something. Take for instance the one about colliding with something- Echo Echo Echo. That one would be good to know in case you might need to hang onto something. In this video you can hear the "Echo Echo Echo " over the loud speakers.

Edited by Mysticks1

When we were on Miracle last month we were in the upstairs dining room and an announcement was made asking if there were any medical people in the dining room who could help. I've never heard that before. About five minutes later, the Code Sierra was announced.

Keep in mind that different cruise lines use different codes, it's not standardized in the cruise industry. I've sailed Carnival and Royal the most and the codes differ between the two. That explains some of the confusion that arises when we have these discussions on CC.

Edited by Dave85

John Herald posted these not too long ago:

Brightstar - instant emergency medical response

Sierra Team Sierra Team - stretcher crew to reach a specific area of the ship

Bravo Bravo Bravo - possible person overboard

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean that other people aren't interested in knowing. I am interested in what some of the codes mean and I wouldn't ever want to get into the middle of something. Take for instance the one about colliding with something- Echo Echo Echo. That one would be good to know in case you might need to hang onto something. In this video you can hear the "Echo Echo Echo " over the loud speakers.

Well stated.