St Petersburg in May

stucruiser

My family has booked and paid for a long planned vacation on the Eurodam's "Baltic Adventure" sailing. The journey visits many fantastic ports in the Baltic. We were enthralled with the opportunity to spend two entire days in St Petersburg. After what has transpired in Crimea and the Ukraine with the leadership of Russia our feelings have changed.

I have gone from being enthralled to disgust. The lack of concern for the sovereignty and laws of this civilized world by the Russian Federation are deplorable. I feel that setting foot in St Petersburg is analogous to taking a cruise to Germany in 1939 when they took over Czechoslavakia on the pretense of protecting German speaking citizens in 1939.

The US State Department had issued a travel watch for US citizens going to the Russian Federation. It is my strong feeling that HAL should cancel the stops in SPB to ensure the protection of the passengers, crew, etc. and to substitute other ports to places that do support the legal rights of others.

I recognize that these are my feelings and I can cancel the cruise or stay on the ship in SPB. I was impressed with the action of NCL when passengers with Israeli passports were denied the rights to leave the ship. NCL did what was right by eliminating Tunis as a port for all future cruises.

I will watch and see what transpires with US sanctions, visa bans, and actions by companies like HAL.

I agree with what you are saying. We were seriously considering a Baltic cruise this year, but never put anything under deposit and now have found an alternative voyage on the Prinsendam that visits countries/ports other than Russia that have been on our bucket list, and we are thrilled about it.

I do not care to give the Putin government one dime (or better say ruble) of my money..

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Was on the Baltic cruise on Eurodam last May 2013. Very glad I went, had a wonderful time in St Petersburg. Saw all the sights and very glad it was not this year we were to go. Don't know if I would cancel a cruise over the situation but I know some people feel very strongly about it. Will be interesting to see what HAL does. But I am very glad I got to see it when I did.

Was on the Baltic cruise on Eurodam last May 2013. Very glad I went, had a wonderful time in St Petersburg. Saw all the sights and very glad it was not this year we were to go. Don't know if I would cancel a cruise over the situation but I know some people feel very strongly about it. Will be interesting to see what HAL does. But I am very glad I got to see it when I did.

We also took our Baltic cruise last year, in May. So glad we did it before everything that has transpired. With the recent actions (invasion of Crimea, repressive LGBT policies, etc.), I would not want to take the same Baltic cruise today. :(

My family has booked and paid for a long planned vacation on the Eurodam's "Baltic Adventure" sailing. The journey visits many fantastic ports in the Baltic. We were enthralled with the opportunity to spend two entire days in St Petersburg. After what has transpired in Crimea and the Ukraine with the leadership of Russia our feelings have changed.

I have gone from being enthralled to disgust. The lack of concern for the sovereignty and laws of this civilized world by the Russian Federation are deplorable. I feel that setting foot in St Petersburg is analogous to taking a cruise to Germany in 1939 when they took over Czechoslavakia on the pretense of protecting German speaking citizens in 1939.

The US State Department had issued a travel watch for US citizens going to the Russian Federation. It is my strong feeling that HAL should cancel the stops in SPB to ensure the protection of the passengers, crew, etc. and to substitute other ports to places that do support the legal rights of others.

I recognize that these are my feelings and I can cancel the cruise or stay on the ship in SPB. I was impressed with the action of NCL when passengers with Israeli passports were denied the rights to leave the ship. NCL did what was right by eliminating Tunis as a port for all future cruises.

I will watch and see what transpires with US sanctions, visa bans, and actions by companies like HAL.

What did HAL say when you communicated your concerns to them?

What did HAL say when you communicated your concerns to them?

I have not communicated my concerns because I have confidence in HAL that they will make a prudent decision. I am sure they are analyzing the situation and exploring the alternatives i.e. substitute ports. My hope is that they will not procrastinate in making their decisions and enable the passengers to make their decisions timely.

I agree with what you are saying. We were seriously considering a Baltic cruise this year, but never put anything under deposit and now have found an alternative voyage on the Prinsendam that visits countries/ports other than Russia that have been on our bucket list, and we are thrilled about it.

I do not care to give the Putin government one dime (or better say ruble) of my money..

And the Russian government will get it's share. In addition to port charges you pay extra for a VISA or extra for the shore excursions (which includes a group VISA).

Just my 2b9b81d5a4213e4144f1b9d95e5acd46?s=64&d=identicon&r=X worth....

And the Russian government will get it's share. In addition to port charges you pay extra for a VISA or extra for the shore excursions (which includes a group VISA).

With that being said, it's just too bad governments can't get along. St. Petersburg, Russia is truly one of the great cities of the world to visit. I have been there twice on Baltic cruises (Renaissance and Princess) and thoroughly enjoyed both visits.

I've been to a lot of countries where their government and the US government do get along well. However, the people that you come in contact with usually genuinely like American tourists. Americans are polite, friendly, and tip well. They may not agree with something the US government does but they don't dislike American tourists because of it. They probably don't like most of the stuff their government does. Heck we don't like a lot of the stuff our government does either. People always seem to get along much better than governments. If you do visit St Petersburg I think you'll find this to be to be true too.

I found the following info: "For Russia, meanwhile, the Exeter team is primarily concerned with the visa sanctions announced late last week, which Cowie said could result in officials restricting visas for Americans in Russia. Still, he said, the operator is still getting requests for bookings to Russia and has not had any requests for cancellations. A range of trips--including customized tours, FITs and guaranteed departures--are all going forward, he added. When clients have called to ask for advice, the team has shared the same tips: “‘Hold tight for the moment. Hopefully, sane minds will prevail and there won’t be any military action.’ It is really a day-to-day situation.”"

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/russia/exeter-international-how-crimea-situation-affecting-travel-45000

As much as I respect your right to an opinion on Russia, Ukraine, or any other country on this planet - I personally think politics should be left out of this forum!

Have a good day and enjoyable journeys.

So your only reason for feeling this way is because of recent Ukraine political issues? I certainly don't mean to seem rude, or uncaring, as you have a valid right to be upset, but this is nothing new. Russia, (and Putin in general), have a long history of terrorizing other nations and peoples, even their own. It seems as if the world was surprised during the Olympics when people found out that gays and lesbians can be arrested, jailed, or worse. The only reason people cared was because there was a recent new law they were trying to enact, and the fact that all eyes were on Russia because of the event itself.

They are a corrupt government, where women's rights, LGBT rights, blue-collar worker rights, religious rights, and other nation's rights take a back seat for their own agenda. The current Ukraine situation is just the tip of the iceberg. If you didn't care before now, you honestly shouldn't let it bother, and should enjoy the trip. If you do care, you should truly care, and not because of what's going on this exact minute, but what has been going on for years and years. You can't visit a "insert County x" ports of call to experience their scenery and history, without being aware of what that country stands for, imo.

The Ukraine/Crimea situation, while seriously disturbing from a foreign affairs perspective, so far there are no reported actions that indicate any personal safety issues to any tourists.

So if the issue is the notion of the tourist dollar being a form of support to, and acceptance of Putin's actions, I agree it's time to move on and try a cruise to another destination.

We visited Leningrad on a land tour (three days in Leningrad arriving and leaving by train from Helsinki) in 1984. That was only 4 years after Jimmy Carter ordered a US boycott of the 1980 Olympics because of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and just before the Soviets, in retaliation, boycotted the 1984 LA Olympics. Worse, Korean Airlines Flight 007 was shot down by Soviet aircraft just before our trip.

While we were apprehensive the only "bad things" that occurred included confiscation of our NY Times paper and a Newsweek magazine with the attack on the KAL plane on the cover. We were also prohibited from taking any photos on the train (or of any stations along the way) which caused one of our group to have his film removed from his camera and destroyed).

We are on the same cruise, and while I fully respect your opinion, I'd like to make two points to your post.

First and foremost, if you truly feel that your safety may be compromised in StPb, then by all means do not leave the ship. :(

Secondly, if you feel that strongly about this current political situation, then opting to not set foot in Russia may be your wisest choice. But, please keep in mind, that your decision will only affect two parties.... yourself, and the honest, hardworking tour operators who will lose income. Have you ever considered that they may share your feelings of disgust over the actions of late? :eek: The people of Russia have "been there, done that" with their over-the-top regimes, and have fought hard for what little democracy they have. I'd like to support that ideology, if possible.