Do any of you skip the Formal nights?

tings66

We have been skipping formal nights lately, & eat in a specialty restaurant or Bistro on Five on formal nights. I do realize that the dress code (even hate TYPING those words, lest I start a war) has relaxed, & many try to get away with what they can, but I feel we should eat elsewhere on formal nights, in deference to those that do formal.

I noticed this too. Our first time in Blu, we were very surprised at the gowns and tuxes. We were told Blu is not a Sp restaurant and therefore not under the "smart casual" dress code every night. Our second time was an Alaska cruise and once again, lots of formal dress on formal night.

Blu doesn't qualify as a Sp restaurant but it is "smart casual and above" every night. Celebrity makes that very clear and anyone who tried to enforce formal wear in Blu should be prepared to face the fury of the many people who book Aqua class partly because of the relaxed dress code.

Personal experience is that many (maybe most) people in Blu choose to dress up on formal nights but smart casual is always acceptable. Exactly as it should be.

We never miss a formal night,....but that's us. And BTW, I'm the guy.

But you should do what works for YOU. It's your vacation. Relax how you want to relax.

This is the male half here too, and not only do we not skip them; we plan around them. We do things like specialty restaurants on nights that are not formal. Too each his own, but we both like dressing up.

thanks to you all-- I am a banker by day and wear a suit with heels Monday to Friday. I'd prefer to be casual or smart casual when I'm on vacation, much more relaxing---I am going to leave the dress up clothes at home!!

You're on the Silhouette leaving Venice on August 31, right? Us too! We were gonna do the formal nights but just recently decided to skip them for this cruise. Less stuff to take. Hubby was going to rent formal clothes, but we figured that, for the cost, we could just have dinner at a specialty restaurant on the formal nights. I don't think we'll miss it, but I do appreciate that many cruisers really enjoy the formal experience. :)

Sorry if this wasn't you, but I thought you had said that you were no longer going to book Aqua; that the menu was boring. If I'm wrong, my bad!:eek:

This was me...and we have booked our next B2B in concierge class (with friends)...but I think we are the exception on CC. We cruise quite a bit and we've been cruising in aqua for about two years so although I prefer the quietness and ambience, I'm just tired of the menu. I still recommend that folks book aqua though. After the B2B, I'll probably be back to aqua :) It's too complicated to say all this in a post, so I took a liberty...

Hi kevloe,

Yes we are booked on the Aug 31 sailing out of Venice--- we will try leaving the formal attire at home this cruise. I also appreciate many cruisers enjoy the formal nights--we have friends that love it. I look forward to the flexibility of eating outside (if it's nice) and/or a couple specialty restaurants. Hopefully we'll meet up on the cruise!

Love formal nights..they just have a certain ambience that we enjoy a lot. It seems odd that some people are so sour about the whole thing...

The "noisy crowded" MDR is fun and we have always had our wait staff complement us on looking so nice.

Its a chance to get some good pictures.

We also have airline status or fly Business class is get a decent allocation.

Celebrity's web site is very specific about Blu:

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

Apparently that should be amended to,"Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings, or whatever other specific venue if the captain of the vessel deems it so"

I guess they have always said the captain ultimately has the authority to do whatever he wants (can kick a passenger off cruise if he wants to for e.g.).

Btw to OP, we don't eat any meals in mdr. Just too long and too noisy(from what I've heard and seen written since we have never had dinner there), we order from the mdr menu and have it delivered to our room. Lobster on our cruise last week was actually good.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by dodger1964

We never miss a formal night. Keep in mind formal is the old semi-formal. Men just need a jacket and tie (or can get formal with a tux). When we drive we take a tux. When we fly we go with a blazer since I can wear that on the plane and it doesn't take up precious (expensive) baggage space.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

For a 7 day cruise, we each check one large bag, and both carry on one bag, one of which is a garment bag holding the suit/sport jacket/dress/heels etc. It fits in the overhead bin. When we go camping (in a tent!) I go without makeup for days, and we both wear jeans to work, but since we started cruising a few years ago we discovered it is fun to dress up on formal night, not to mention my husband looks pretty hot in a dark suit!

Edited by lakeeffect

DW and I have never skipped dressing up on formal night. We have gone to specialty restaurants on some of those nights, but we still dressed formally. For us that means a long gown for DW and black tie or even white tie for me. This is the only time that we have the opportunity to dress up to make our dinners this elegant. My DW is so stunning in her long dresses that I enjoy going shopping with her to find them.

We love to dance and I am always blown away by how my wife (5'10", elegant, graceful, platinum blonde) looks in her formals all evening. I wouldn't want to miss out on that. I pack 2 tuxes and alternate them just to enjoy the gift of spending an evening with such an exceptional person.

Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

DW and I have never skipped dressing up on formal night. We have gone to specialty restaurants on some of those nights, but we still dressed formally. For us that means a long gown for DW and black tie or even white tie for me. This is the only time that we have the opportunity to dress up to make our dinners this elegant. My DW is so stunning in her long dresses that I enjoy going shopping with her to find them.

We love to dance and I am always blown away by how my wife (5'10", elegant, graceful, platinum blonde) looks in her formals all evening. I wouldn't want to miss out on that. I pack 2 tuxes and alternate them just to enjoy the gift of spending an evening with such an exceptional person.

Beautiful post!! Lady Kathryn is a lucky girl!!!

Amen to that, dressing up and showing off the ladies is the best part of a cruise to me!

Thanks for expressing my opinion better than I could have myself! Seeing the ladies - and ESPECIALLY my lady - dressed to the nines & looking beautiful & sexy, is the best part of the evening! :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I love wearing a tux! I do NOT love lugging it around the world! It takes up so much space. A rental tux ( when you own one) is like comparing a Motel 6 to a Marriott resort. It seems that women have it easier when it comes to formalwear. You can buy a decent dress that packs well. But for men....no.

We no longer do formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love wearing a tux! I do NOT love lugging it around the world! It takes up so much space. A rental tux ( when you own one) is like comparing a Motel 6 to a Marriott resort. It seems that women have it easier when it comes to formalwear. You can buy a decent dress that packs well. But for men....no.

We no longer do formal nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A tux takes the same amount of space as a suit - or the same amount of space as a jacket & pants. Even if it is in addition to the jacket & pants, my tux & accessories weighs a total of about 10 lbs. If necessary, I have no problem with an extra bag for my tux & DW's gowns and shoes. If you truly "love wearing a tux" and your wife loves dressing up too, how sad that you'd forgo that fun for 10 - 20 lbs of luggage, and a few bucks for porters to carry it for you!

A tux takes the same amount of space as a suit - or the same amount of space as a jacket & pants. Even if it is in addition to the jacket & pants, my tux & accessories weighs a total of about 10 lbs. If necessary, I have no problem with an extra bag for my tux & DW's gowns and shoes. If you truly "love wearing a tux" and your wife loves dressing up too, how sad that you'd forgo that fun for 10 - 20 lbs of luggage, and a few bucks for porters to carry it for you!

I have no wife, but a husband... So that makes TWO tuxedoes to pack, which adds up to a lot of extra fees at the airline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Bottom line, ask 10 people, get nine different thoughts, answers, reasons on how something could or should be done!:D

Why not 10 diff answers? Cause that is the guy that looks at his wifester and says, 'Yes Dear':rolleyes:

Enjoy your cruise.

I have no wife, but a husband... So that makes TWO tuxedoes to pack, which adds up to a lot of extra fees at the airline.

An extra bag, 50 lbs or less - costs $25-$35 each direction, depending on airline. I guess in terms of the cost of the cruise, that seems pretty darn inconsequential to me. I posted what I did only because you said you LOVED getting dressed up and wearing a tux. But hey, to each their own!

As for an extra tux vs. a gown, heels, shawl or wrap, etc - I'm not sure that weighs any more! :D

Edited by LetsGetWet!