I am genuinely sorry you had the worst cruise ever....But

Tutontow

I think the problem with the reviewer is that they "knew" that they should have had an accessible cabin but they booked themselves into a regular cabin. (I would bet you wouldn't book your mother into a regular cabin if you knew she needed the accessible one and the things that those cabins have in them.)

This wasn't a first time cruiser. This was someone who had been on many cruises before. They went to guest services but what exactly was GS supposed to do if all of the accessible rooms were booked (and they usually are according to reports on here). Even if there were cabins available if they weren't an accessible cabin then changing cabins wouldn't have helped.

I understand what you're saying. But didn't she tell them that her traveling companion was in a wheelchair? And they told her no problem the wheelchairs fit through the standard cabins fine? If that is the case that's totally false information.

I understand what you're saying. But didn't she tell them that her traveling companion was in a wheelchair? And they told her no problem the wheelchairs fit through the standard cabins fine? If that is the case that's totally false information.

But if it was a scooter, it is correct information, at least for a standard size scooter. It is unclear since the poster refers to a wheelchair in one review but also states they asked about if their scooter would fit in the other.

But if it was a scooter, it is correct information, at least for a standard size scooter. It is unclear since the poster refers to a wheelchair in one review but also states they asked about if their scooter would fit in the other.

Ahhhhhh. Ok. I didn't see the second review. Thanks!!!!!

My own opinion is if one booked directly with Carnival and requests a wheel chair accessible room, I do not believe they should have to double check or know better.

The OP in this case did not book a wheelchair accessible cabin based on information from a Carnival rep that their scooter or wheel chair (it is unclear between the two posts) would fit.

Here is a second review from the same person, same ship, slightly different information

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=251788

I read this review and it seems to me that there was more at issue than the wheel chair/scooter problem. I mean come on...complaining about the "color" of the ship, only 18 slot machines, shows were "old and boring", the ship was dirty "24/7", the colors on the ship were "dark...ugly, depressing". It seems to me that even if the handicapped situation wasn't a problem, the OP would not have been a happy cruiser anyway. :rolleyes:

that the Carnival reps don't know what they are talking about.......

A

what didnt the carnival rep not know what they were talking about. scooters CAN fit into the cabins with no problem. Now we need to understand what the OP actually said.

if they asked if a scooter can fit into a regular cabin , then the answer is yes.

If I asked if a car can fit into a parking space at a mall and the attendant tells me yes and then I go get my double wide hummer or stretch limo.... the attendant would not be wrong but I am not getting into a spot

the OP changed their story with 2 reviews first saying wheelchair and then saying scooter. Scooters will fit but wheelchairs wont so who knows what was actually said

I get very upset when I know that someone with accessibility issues is denied there right. But reading this non "review", and I call it a non review because it is only focussed on one or two issues and not balanced, and for me not quite believable.

I think it comes down to what those other so called 50 available rooms were. They obviously are not all wheelchair or scooter accessible rooms, and therefore I am highly suspect of this "review". It is one sided and we all know that we will never hear the other side.

if the OP said scooter....

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Furthermore, the Guest Services office cannot store personal scooters, nor be used to recharge batteries. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

So if the Carnival rep asked if it was 21" or asked if it was a standard scooter, then the Carnival rep was correct. We never hear 2 sides to the story. Only the one complaining. I am not saying that the OPs story is innacurate. all I am saying is we are hearing from just one side. Tough to judge a situation when only hearing one side.

My Wife has taken her Mobility Scooter on our last 6 cruises with carnival. Had a regular Balcony Cabin and she never had a problem Scraping the doors or walls except on the embarkation day when she had to many DOD's. Yes the scooter is tight getting thru (even my wife's) but she has no problem unless she's DUI. Got to love the part about the buffet being too high. Not once has my wife not been asked for assistance (from a carnival guest service attendant) with me standing right there. Feel like there is no pleasing the original poster. Most of our issues have to deal with the occasional rude passenger.

With as many cruises as they claim they should have known better and insisted on the accessible cabin. They said that they had been on other cruises so they should have known that a regular cabin wouldn't have the things they needed. Even if the scooter fit fine through the door that doesn't change the fact that the bathrooms are not accessible which they obviously needed if there was a fall in the bathroom. The two reviews really give conflicting information.

Edited by Mysticks1

The reviewer didn't book a Handicapped Accessible cabin, that's the problem. If you're reliant on a wheelchair or a scooter why wouldn't you book what is needed? I think it's likely the reviewer got a great deal on a cruise but no H/A rooms were available. Of course, there is going to be a fall in the bathroom, it wasn't an H/A room. It's not Carnival's fault, it's the reviewer for not booking the room that was needed.

I agree.

At some point the reviewer needs to take some responsibility that they did not advocate for themself (know what H/A cabins there were on the ship, make sure that the booking person was aware that accessibility to the washroom required the wheelchair to be used etc).

There are so few of the H/A cabins on each ship, they get booked quickly.

As an experienced cruiser, the reviewer should have known that the "special needs" department should have been contacted.

I read this review and it seems to me that there was more at issue than the wheel chair/scooter problem. I mean come on...complaining about the "color" of the ship, only 18 slot machines, shows were "old and boring", the ship was dirty "24/7", the colors on the ship were "dark...ugly, depressing". It seems to me that even if the handicapped situation wasn't a problem, the OP would not have been a happy cruiser anyway. :rolleyes:

Exactly! When you complain about everything - especially things that are obviously not true or are grossly exaggerated, the real issues get lost in the mix. She should have booked an accessible stateroom, not a regular cabin, if she was not able to step into the shower, needed a wider than standard doorway, etc. As far as the tender ports, doing a little reading, guests can be denied tender based on their weight, the weight of their wheelchair (I don't know that you can even bring mobility scooters) and how rough the ocean is that day. This makes sense as it's about safety, and would explain why it was okay before but maybe not on this particular sailing. As far as the buffet, she should have been offered assistance, or at least provided assistance if she approached a staff member to request help.

Interesting enough though - she also complained about how sticky the decks were to walk on.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Exactly! When you complain about everything - especially things that are obviously not true or are grossly exaggerated, the real issues get lost in the mix. She should have booked an accessible stateroom, not a regular cabin, if she was not able to step into the shower, needed a wider than standard doorway, etc. As far as the tender ports, doing a little reading, guests can be denied tender based on their weight, the weight of their wheelchair (I don't know that you can even bring mobility scooters) and how rough the ocean is that day. This makes sense as it's about safety, and would explain why it was okay before but maybe not on this particular sailing. As far as the buffet, she should have been offered assistance, or at least provided assistance if she approached a staff member to request help.

Interesting enough though - she also complained about how sticky the decks were to walk on.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Some cruise lines allow you to bring your ECV with you on the tenders/lifeboat tenders, as long as you are able to transfer and do minimal walking and the ECV is under 50lbs.

Edited by Disconnections

Like my mother use to say to me..... if they had been at the last supper they

would have demanded a ham & cheese.

She is a chronic complainer which is completely evident from the tone of her review. We all know the type.

I wish we would stop trying to put lipstick on a pig. I think we have forgotten how to simply say enough already.

Dear Lord lady you have some motion limitations but you are able to go on a

cruise and move around enough to review the whole ship. Glass half empty or half full I guess.

Let the hate mail begin ....

JT:cool:

Edited by jtwanabe

if the OP said scooter....

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Furthermore, the Guest Services office cannot store personal scooters, nor be used to recharge batteries. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

So if the Carnival rep asked if it was 21" or asked if it was a standard scooter, then the Carnival rep was correct. We never hear 2 sides to the story. Only the one complaining. I am not saying that the OPs story is innacurate. all I am saying is we are hearing from just one side. Tough to judge a situation when only hearing one side.

I totally agree with u. There is no way of us knowing who is at fault. And I surely hope that the Guest Services staff were sincere and compassionate, even if they had no rooms available for her.

I wonder if the OP was aware that there is a special needs department that could have assisted with her booking.

Either way, the OP is entitled to her opinion and has the right to vent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I totally agree with u. There is no way of us knowing who is at fault. And I surely hope that the Guest Services staff were sincere and compassionate, even if they had no rooms available for her.

I wonder if the OP was aware that there is a special needs department that could have assisted with her booking.

Either way, the OP is entitled to her opinion and has the right to vent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I disagree, we do know who was at fault and that is the reviewer. The person is not a cruise newbie by her own statement and she needed a room that was handicapped accessible. She didn't choose one. She clearly states that she was able to get through the doorway, even though it scraped. Carnival said it would fit, it did, again by her own statement. The fall in the bathroom is not Carnival's fault. She should have selected an H/A room.

First off let me say I thank God at least twice a day for my health. Also let me say I have the utmost compassion for anyone who suffers any form of physical challenge.

Having said that as soon I found out the room wasn't going to work and they had rooms available that would work and they wouldn't move me I would be raising holy hell or getting off the ship. We are not talking about a quick over night stay we are talking about a cooped up room on a week long cruise. If what the OP states is true, the attitude of the GS would have been enough to make me get off.

I am a planner. The nature of my job required me to be a planner. We always said fail to plan, plan to fail. Having said that I would have made sure the dimensions and accommodations I need would be relayed to Carnival in writing and I would have had their written response with me when I boarded.

With just a quick search of these boards and a quick search of Google concerning this subject I have gotten quite the education concerning Modified Cabins vs. Accessible Cabins. There is even a form Carnival requires you to fill out giving the dimensions of your scooter or wheelchair.

They also spell out the tendering policy.

With just a quick search I found these links

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users.aspx

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/pdf/SRIFRM_012809.pdf

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755735

Having said all of this I am truly sorry you had a bad vacation. I am by no means a Carnival cheerleader. I had a situation on my last Carnival Cruise that didn't rear its ugly head until day two. I did not get a good nights sleep for the bulk of my cruise. Carnival did work with me on it and was very generous in their compensation.

I am just hoping people will remember when it come to being a consumer you have to cover your own behind and make sure you do all of your homework and get it in writing.

Edited by Tutontow

the OP never stated this nor did anyone else. They said 'rooms' were available. NO mention of any that might work.

The original review stated there were 50 rooms available. I assumed one of those might have a wider door. I wish I could edit my post. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by Tutontow