What is the best class?

What do you think is the best RCCL class? To me, it seems like:

Oasis is huge and revolutionary

Freedom is extension of Voyager

Voyager is huge and fun

Radiance is nautical, the oddballs

Vision has lots of light

Sovereign is classic

Being booked on Enchantment and considering Vision and Grandeur, it looks like we will be sailing a lot of Vision class!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What do you think is the best RCCL class? To me, it seems like:

Oasis is huge and revolutionary

Freedom is extension of Voyager

Voyager is huge and fun

Radiance is nautical, the oddballs

Vision has lots of light

Sovereign is classic

Being booked on Enchantment and considering Vision and Grandeur, it looks like we will be sailing a lot of Vision class!

To me, there's not a "Best Class". Every ship has a different feel, a different approach, and a different crew. Sure there are similarities, but so long as I'm on the ship, I am content.

YMMV. :)

To me, there's not a "Best Class". Every ship has a different feel, a different approach, and a different crew. Sure there are similarities, but so long as I'm on the ship, I am content.

YMMV. :)

To me, Radiance and Oasis seem like the most interesting. How is the Vision class, especially compared to the Radiance class? We were thinking about going on a Brilliance cruise, but it wasn't in the summer.

My thought about the Oasis Class is that they are big and revolutionary, I feel they are more about the the inside if the ship, the Ocean almost seems secondary on this class of ship...

That seems to be the case on all of the post Voyager ships.

To me the Vision Class and the Majesty have no appeal unless the price is cheap.

Why? Are they bad ships? We are sailing on Enchantment, a Vision class.

To me, Radiance and Oasis seem like the most interesting. How is the Vision class, especially compared to the Radiance class? We were thinking about going on a Brilliance cruise, but it wasn't in the summer.

I've been on Vision and Enchantment both.

Enchantment was just a five nighter, but I would have happily stayed on another week if I'd had the choice. That ship was stretched in 2005 so it is unique to the class. Service on the Vision class ships seems to be far less rushed and more personal than the larger ships. That and they seem to get more interesting itineraries.

Vision will soon take its place as the ship I have the most time on. That happens in June for 10 nights. We did an 11 nighter in Feb 2013. Absolutely a winning cruise there. Best MDR service yet and we have had some great serving teams more than once. The review is linked in my sig if you are interested.

Compared to a Radiance ship, I'd say the feel is similar but a tad smaller. Radiance ships have more glass to look through and carry about 200 more pax than the Vision ships (except Enchantment). Shops and dining venues are all very similar.

It seems to me that the bigger ships are all doing mostly seven night runs and the smaller ships are getting an odd mix of short and long cruises. I'm not much for anything under a week since it costs a fair bit to fly anywhere and I've only got two ports in driving range (Galveston and NOLA).

The wife still swears by Mariner (Voyager class). perfect size, not to big, not to small. Oh, and anyone who thinks Sovereign is classy is mistaken. it is a relic, it is not classy. QE2 and Norway were classy

Sorry, can you explain this? I might be having a moment... but I just don't get it... what do you mean by "the oddballs"?

While most of the other ships were trying to be big and revolutionary,

The Radiance class was a big size reduction, especially after the Voyager class. To me, it seems like all of the other classes (besides Radiance and Vision) were trying to be innovative. Even Adam Goldstein said that in their eyes, the Radiance class was a failure.

The wife still swears by Mariner (Voyager class). perfect size, not to big, not to small. Oh, and anyone who thinks Sovereign is classy is mistaken. it is a relic, it is not classy. QE2 and Norway were classy

It's not classy, but it is one of the classic RCCL ships. Like you said, it is a relic.

Oddball? Ok, that may be my type of thing :) I love Radiance for all the glass and views of the seas from so many places. One of my favourite things about being on the ocean is looking at the sea. Even though we had a great cabin on Voyager, we felt it was more focused indoors with a central promenade, and we prefer the ambience of the Radiance.

Edited by goodycruising

I've been on every class of ship, from the Empress to the Allure, with the exception of the Radiance class. While the Voyager and Freedom are likely to be my first choices as favorites - once on the Mariner and twice on the Freedom hold wonderful memories - I wouldn't turn down a cruise on any of them! When the time and cruise are right, I'll make it to a Radiance class ship - and I tend to like oddballs. :)

The best class is whichever one I'm booked on next. :D

My experience is limited to Vision, Radiance and Voyager classes, with my first Freedom class voyage coming up in August.

I really think the best class (for me, at least) is going to depend on the cruise. I really like Radiance class ships, but I don't think I could handle them on a cruise with many consecutive sea days, like a transatlantic. I'd be bouncing off the walls for something to do. I think Voyager or larger would be right for me on a TA.

I have no "best class" ship. The next one Im on is the best class to me.

I sure would like the link to where Adam Goldstein said the Radiance class was a "failure" though. MANY repeat cruisers think they are the perfect ship.

Edited by ryano

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/why-project-radiance-didnt-turn-out-as-planned/

Here is the blog about Radiance being a failure. It sounds as though he thought it was successful in the long term though I think.

Radiance class seems like wonderful ships. Are they basically an extension of the Vision class, like the Freedom was an extension of the Voyager class?

Radiance class seems like wonderful ships. Are they basically an extension of the Vision class, like the Freedom was an extension of the Voyager class?

No. While there are some similarities in internal layout, Radiance and Vision classes have a very different feel overall.