Taxi v. Driver, Book in advance v. book at the pier

BrownCalico

We are going to Cozumel in May, been there before but just explored on our own near port. This time, we are thinking about going in to the city. Looking for everyone's thoughts as to booking in advance with a driver vs. grabbing a taxi at the pier... What does everyone recommend for Cozumel? Why? Benefits of each? Thanks in advance!!!

We are going to Cozumel in May, been there before but just explored on our own near port. This time, we are thinking about going in to the city. Looking for everyone's thoughts as to booking in advance with a driver vs. grabbing a taxi at the pier... What does everyone recommend for Cozumel? Why? Benefits of each? Thanks in advance!!!

If you are only interested in going into the old town of San Miguel it is definately easy enough to grab a taxi at the pier. Prices are posted and should be confirmed before setting off. You can walk around the old town square, have lunch, shop, visit small museum, walk along sea front and easily get a taxi back.

You can also get a taxi from the pier for an island tour. Whilst most people seem to have had good experiences you cannot be sure the driver will speak English and it is better if you are prepared with where you want to go and you may/may not get a commentary with a taxi driver.

We have always had good experiences hiring a private driver through ToursPlaza. It is more expensive but in our early days of visiting Cozumel I preferred to have an English speaking guide. Communications and administration have always been very good. If nothing else you shou visit the website

http://www.toursplaza.com/eng/hiring-driver.cfm

which will give you some ideas of places available to visit.

If you search for the thread "hiring a driver for the day" you will be able to read many people's experiences of various drivers and get some idea of places they have visited on their tours.

Edited by c-leg5

Thank you both! I guess the better way of asking my questions would be (A) Is getting a driver worth the extra money (B) What are everyone's recommendations for getting a driver [which companies do you recommend]?

Thanks again!

Thank you both! I guess the better way of asking my questions would be (A) Is getting a driver worth the extra money (B) What are everyone's recommendations for getting a driver [which companies do you recommend]?

Thanks again!

We have done both and the Bar Hop. Each has its own merits.

For me it was worth the extra money, especially the first time we toured the island. It was reassuring to be shown around by someone who was recommended. We have toured with Gerry from ToursPlaza several times from early on, before he operated under a company name and had a team of drivers. I have watched his company grow and have seen very few bad reports. He is quiet and unobtrusive but always around if you need help. sometimes we invite him to have lunch with us but he will give you space if you want to be alone, or you are travelling with a group.

As I said above, it really depends where you want to visit whether it is worth the extra money to have a private driver:

If you only want to go into town, or visit places close to town like the chocolate factory, for example I would be inclined to just get a taxi. Remember if you are doing tours that take time you are paying for your drivers time. If the locations are in, or near town, it is very easy to get a taxi or get someone to call for one.

If you want to tour round and get in and out of the car for short stops like photos and sightseeing, I would hire a driver. Once you travel on the cross island road (to the ruins or Tequila Factory) to the east side bars and sights and Punta Sur, it is not easy to pick up a passing taxi - not impossible, but not easy and you may have to wait on one. Once you are round the southern end and coming back up the southern beach bar stretch it is easy to pick up a taxi again.

Therefore, you could tour round with a driver for say three hours and then get dropped of for a couple of hours at one of the popular southern beach clubs, or in town to do your own shopping and get an independent taxi back.

So to answer your question of whether it is worth it - it very much depends on where you want to go.

Edited by c-leg5