Best Crab Meal in Alaska

mpduquaine

the Office Bar in Hoonah has ambiance and fresh Dungeness. Not as impressive presentation as king crab but better tasting.

many people wet themselves at the mention of Tracey' s CrabShack in Juneau but you asked about fresh. King crab season is over and the king crab you eat in the summer has already been caught and has been on ice for six plus months.

I can only speak for Holland America Lines excursions but all cruise lines should have a Crab Feast in Ketchikan in conjunction with a Misty Fjords flight or Wildlife Excursion.

The lake-side lodge serves all of the Dungeness crab, caught that day, that you can eat in 50 minutes (after shell cracking instruction). Add the inclusive open bar, appetizers, and dessert, and you can enjoy crab gluttony at its finest. FWIW I was able to eat five half crabs with the record being 12, according to the waitstaff.

the Office Bar in Hoonah has ambiance and fresh Dungeness. Not as impressive presentation as king crab but better tasting.

many people wet themselves at the mention of Tracey' s CrabShack in Juneau but you asked about fresh. King crab season is over and the king crab you eat in the summer has already been caught and has been on ice for six plus months.

I suspect I will get "flamed" for this comment, but in my opinion, Tracey Crab Shack is overrated by tourists.

I suspect I will get "flamed" for this comment, but in my opinion, Tracey Crab Shack is overrated by tourists.

You do have a point. I'd say that the best crab feast is one where the person gets a boat, drops a pot or two for a day, grab the crab, boil in seawater, and serve. I spend most everyday I am in Alaska doing this, but it isn't an option for most people.

That being said, I think Tracy's is pretty decent. Its not the best crab I've had, but it seems to me that it is a ton better than the King Crab I get in the Chicagoland area, which seems to be boiled in water that was saltier than the Dead Sea (maybe the last batch in Illinois was a bad batch, but it was enough to make sure I never paid $20/pound ever again). I think Tracy's might be a bit overpriced IMHO, but I usually make a stop there every year or two.

I just wish I didn't have to stand over people and fight for a seat after dumping $120 or so on a bucket of crab legs.

My hairdresser just recommended the Crab Feast..she said it was really good food and the plane ride was awesome

Your hairdresser must have an excellent palate for crab and free alcoholic beverages too. Crab Feast pictures from Ketchikan Crab Feast and Misty Fjords plane ride:

http://http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1189

You guys do know that in the summer you cannot get fresh king crab. All Alaska king crabbing is done in the winter.

I suppose I should have qualified my fishing for my own crab comment by saying I fish for Dungeness :)

Which crab fest would you recommend and where? I want an authentic experience

Thank you

What is "authentic"? Sliders description of catching his own sounds authentic, but you aren't going to find that anywhere. Otherwise, it's going to be tourist oriented, so likely not really "authentic". Probably better to focus on finding the freshest/best crab than trying to find authentic.

The one thing that I realized from my Alaska cruise 2 years ago is that the King Crab in Alaska tastes the same as the King Crab from Costco in Dallas.

It is the same and as has been pointed out, summer King Crab in Alaska is frozen and has been frozen for quite a while.

I beg to differ. Costco (and other retailers) crab is so, so, so salty. I found Tracey's Crab Shack to be sweeter, drier (not swimming in salt water), and less salty. I plan on another visit this year. I would like to know of another place that would be highly recommended. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know the difference? Looking at Tracy's menu you can get snow crab pops 1/2# $15' date=' snow crab 1# $20, or king crab by the leg even more $, and maybe dungeness if it is in season. Which would be best?[/quote']

If you are asking which is best, King Crab,m Dungeness, or Snow Crab, you are asking someone if they like Coke, Pepsi, or RC.

In my opinion, Dungeness is the best flavored and the best value for the dollar. I think the flavor of a Dungie is superior of the three. However, Dungeness have short legs and are the most work of the three to eat.

King crab is a close second. I like it because they have nice big pieces. The meat is sweet with good flavor. However, as you'll see, it is also terribly expensive.

Snow Crab is better than no crab at all, but I have always found it to have a real subtle flavor that just never blew up my skirt. It is edible and I'd even say it is good. However, it just isn't a species I actively seek out. If it is available, I will happily eat it though.

If you want to try something other than King Crab at Tracy's, there might be an alternative to Tracy's for King Crab. It has been a few years since I have been in there, but there is a little deli counter area in Taku Smokeries (the opposite end of the parking lot from the tram). They used to sell king crab legs in there. Obviously you won't get the drawn butter with it, but if you wanted to try a leg or two, you might be able to pick some up there. When I was there a few years ago, I think they wanted $40/pound. The only downfall to this is my guess is they are frozen solid. You'd have to ask on that one.

My hairdresser just recommended the Crab Feast..she said it was really good food and the plane ride was awesome

We did the Mountaintop Flightseeing and Crab Feast in Ketchikan. The plane ride was only about 20 minutes.

The food is good, but not anything you can't get at a regular restaurant. We felt herded like cattle. No time to relax and enjoy the scenery. Then they cram you in a tiny room the size of a small garage and seat everyone at one long table. Only one side of the table can see out the windows. The other half face the wall. Then, as soon as we were done, they gave us a few minutes in their gift shop, then hurried us onto a bus back to port.

We would have enjoyed a leisurely meal at a regular restaurant with a view more. We enjoyed Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau and we didn't have to sacrifice the majority of our time in port to eat there.

We also would have preferred a longer flightseeing tour, like the 2 or 3 hour flight to Misty Fjord. You can get crab anywhere. It's all flash frozen and stored in the freezer anyway. However, you can't get out and see Alaska every day.

This is a pic of George Inlet Lodge. We ate on the first floor in the building on the left. It's very small and not the individual tables with floor to ceiling windows with a view that they show on their website.

7992503551_975e24c1cf_c.jpg

979 by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

Edited by NoobCruise

We did the Mountaintop Flightseeing and Crab Feast in Ketchikan.

Then they cram you in a tiny room the size of a small garage and seat everyone at one long table.

This is a pic of George Inlet Lodge. We ate on the first floor in the building on the left. It's very small and not the individual tables with floor to ceiling windows with a view that they show on their website.

The Lodge offers two different crab meals, in two different dining rooms as shown on their website.

The Flightseeing & Crab Feast uses the small dining room with one long table:

https://www.catchcrabs.com/flightseeingCrabFeast.htm

photos.sm.f3.jpg

The Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feed (which I took) uses the large dining room with separate tables:

http://www.catchcrabs.com/WildernessCrabFeed.htm

photos.sm6.jpg

The Lodge offers two different crab meals, in two different dining rooms as shown on their website.

The Flightseeing & Crab Feast uses the small dining room with one long table:

https://www.catchcrabs.com/flightseeingCrabFeast.htm

photos.sm.f3.jpg

The Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feed (which I took) uses the large dining room with separate tables:

http://www.catchcrabs.com/WildernessCrabFeed.htm

photos.sm6.jpg

That's good to know. However, when we did the tour, the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feed group were seated with us in the tiny room. They were getting off the boat when we pulled up to the dock, and we were all shown to the small room.

Both king crab and snow crab will be frozen no matter where you get it. Dungeness, on the other hand, is fresh for most of the summer. I like the fresh Dungeness at the St. George Lodge and at Tracy's, but I always ask if its fresh. The Office in Hoonah is also good but I haven't been there in years. Frankly, I don't care about the ambiance if the food is good.