Checking flight reservation

Mytime2014

An FYI from my recent experience. When we booked flights, we were booked on a 7:25 departure. When I checked Sunday night, that flight was no longer listed and replaced with an earlier flight. Fortunately we found this prior to the penalty date so HAL deleted the reservations and we were able to get a flight on Southwest Airlines.

This is my first cruise experience so I'm learning a lot quickly - check the specifics of your flight itinerary. We were told by HAL that they expected more changes and some experienced travelers also related these kind of issues with flight time changes.

I work, so don't have the liberty of taking off whenever just because a flight changes, so hopefully we'll be good with this new plan. So glad I checked early so there were no penalties!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did for new one. I have read of some lines that don't send information in a timely manner. I will still check on line just in case.

But for newer travelers who book packages, check every single detail. We had 3 changes /errors from the phone conversation. Just saying don't trust what you hear!

You definitely want to get your air reservation code from the line (if you book a passage) and go to the airlines site so you can select seats as early as possible - you don't want to let the airline do it at the gate. Also, if you connect your flight with your frequent flier number with that airline (or set up a number if you've never flown that airline) -- you will receive email notification of and schedule change. As a practical matter, any flight booked more than a month or so in advance is quite likely to have one or more changes.

With the understanding that I may just have been lucky over many years as a loyal United customer, I have always received notices of schedule changes, delays, etc. even to the point of being given backup seat assignments on alternate flights (in addition to our existing seats) when it looked like we might miss a connection. And one does not need to be a top tier frequent flyer to get that perk. It often happens automatically though a nice attitude with the phone reservations folks often lets you look at multiple alternatives.

That said, I still regularly check flight data myself and always book flights that assure at least one buffer day before the start of any scheduled time specific event(s) like a cruise.

Back when Delta was merging with Northwest, I booked a flight from Boston to Minneapolis leaving at 6 AM. They cancelled that direct flight and put us on a flight leaving Boston at 6 AM to Nashville, then connect to Minneapolis and arrive at 2PM. Since it was Northwest flights booked using Delta miles, they did not notify us at all since they did not have a way to do it.

I changed the flight to the 8AM direct flight to Minneapolis and was happy that I did not have to wake up earlier.

The only airline I really like is Southwest. They have not messed up a trip yet, and I have flown with them over 100 times.

Passing on a reminder to anyone flying through SFO from May 17 through mid-September. Two of the four runways will be closed for repair/upgrades. This promises delays (particularly in departures) for an airport already known by pilots as the "delay on the bay." So, consider a larger buffer between connecting flights.

It's a front page article in this morning's SF Chronicle. Google it for more details.

I always book our own flights -- won't let HAL or any cruise line book them.

And I check them once a month.

Even though I have signed up for e-mail notices to be sent to me -- neither Delta or US Airways seem to send them to me.

Delta emailed us once to inform us our noon flight, booked through Celebrity, out of PR was delayed approx 3 hours.......Convinced me to personally book our flights from then on. C

Yup, the email was sent to us on disembarkation day at 8:30 am, how many cruisers checking our emails at that time? :D We met a lot of fun cruisers in the PR terminal that we never met on the ship! Could have toured PR or gone to the beach *sigh*

I now check our flights before going to bed and early in the AM ......

Delta emailed us once to inform us our noon flight, booked through Celebrity, out of PR was delayed approx 3 hours.......Convinced me to personally book our flights from then on.

I don't understand how booking directly with the airline would have changed the results. If a plane is delayed then they won't know this until the morning of the flight. Many people have email on their phones these days so it's logical to at least attempt to let you know about it. There is a huge difference between delayed and an actual schedule change.

United's app on an iPhone allows you to check flight info at any given moment, including info about status of that plane from its initial point of origin on that day, even if it had stops before your airport. This has been a great help in determining best course of action when connection windows dwindle or disappear. And it's true value is realized when you're on the phone with "United reservations" (grabbing the last alternate seats) as you walk past all the delayed fold standing in line at "customer service." I trust that other airlines have something similar in their apps.

Nonetheless, all the tech available would never make me feel comfortable about flying into a destination with a "set in stone" start time (like a cruise) on that same day. And, flying in at least a day earlier, we get to explore a new restaurant or attraction, albeit if only for the eve of the scheduled event.