Calling all curly girls

runner2013

Hi all, I'll address this to the ladies simply because we tend to be more concerned about our hair than our male counterparts:p

I have long, very curly hair which we all know needs special attention to look its best on a normal day.

Being on a cruise ship in the humidity can be especially challenging for us.

I found products my hair responds really well to, but even the best ones are no match for a cruise.

My question for all the curly haired sisters out there. Aside from headbands and ponytails, what tips or tricks do you use to keep your hair looking its best on the high seas?

I embrace the curl! By the end of my cruise, my husband starts calling me "Jon"--as in Bon Jovi.

jonbonjovi-2.jpg

Seriously, I use a leave-in conditioner after the beach, but that's about it. Otherwise I just use my normal gel/curl cream combo (I rub it together to emulsify it before applying it to my hair) and LOTS of hair spray.

Robin

I've been using NOT YOUR MOTHERS KINKY MOVES hair cream and it has worked wonders so far . I don't need to use mouse or tons of hair spray to keep my curls . I bought mine at Ulta it was a good price and I think they have a good return policy too with their products

"someone told me I will one day get sick of cruising ... I just smiled and said only when I'm dead "

I just embrace my inner "Bozo the Clown" and let it go during the day. I'll take the top layer of my hair (just above my ears all the way around) and twirl it into tight curls and let the rest of it be itself - when it dries, I shake it all out. The twirled ones come out nice and the bottom blooms enough to support it all..

I'm starting to worry about my hair now . . . I'd been planning to stick with my normal routine on my upcoming cruise, plus extra showers to rinse out the chlorine from the pool, and a good hair lotion to tame the frizz. I guess embracing it is my only real option -- and hoping there's no real damage.

I'm starting to worry about my hair now . . . I'd been planning to stick with my normal routine on my upcoming cruise, plus extra showers to rinse out the chlorine from the pool, and a good hair lotion to tame the frizz. I guess embracing it is my only real option -- and hoping there's no real damage.

I wouldn't worry about your hair at all. It took me many years to accept the fact I'm a true curly girl. Now that I have I love it.

Just remember, no matter what you put in your hair, ultimately it's going to do what it wants.

Definately embrace it;)

Oh, I let it do what it wants -- I just try to convince it it wants to be curly rather than a mass of frizz.

Me too! I cut my hair two years ago, from chin length (one length) to a short curly cut. I liked the longer hair better but I have much more freedom with the shorter hair. I had to let the longer hair dry by its self. No hair dryer of any kind, cause it would frizz out. By the end of the day my hair would look bigger. With the short hair, I wash it , put gel on it and go.

Edited by geocruiser

Another curly girl here ... and I love it! I just use my regular products, no hairspray or leave-in conditioner. I think they're too heavy.

Fortunately my hair has finally gotten long enough for me to just pin up when I'm out & about in port.

Oh, I let it do what it wants -- I just try to convince it it wants to be curly rather than a mass of frizz.

Lorraine Massey at DevaCurl says frizz is a curl waiting to happen! I love DevaCurl products, but am going to try Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls and one of the deep deep conditioners a few times before cruising in July and see if that works better for me.

I'm a curly headed gal too!;)

I've always been able to just wash my hair and go. A really good cut is key to being able to do this and I have been the envy of my friends for being able to do this for years. I usually have my hair long enough so that when I get out of the pool or ocean I just use a large toothed comb to get the knots out, then I comb it into a ponytail but instead of putting my hair into a ponytail I twist it and clip it with a really cute hair clip. I have tons of them!:D Also, I'm a total hat person. I'm crazy about hats so whenever I'm out of the house I usually wear one...not on windy days though. I'm known for my hats!:D But, if you want to wear your hair down or have short hair (which I have many times had), there are lots of hair oils now days that will help keep the frizzies at bay. Coconut and Argan oils are good ones and you can find them at any drugstore or beauty supply store.

One tip...don't use the shampoo in the shower stall on the ships...they won't be able to condition your hair enough to stop the frizz. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner instead.

Edited by mousey

Lorraine Massey at DevaCurl says frizz is a curl waiting to happen! I love DevaCurl products, but am going to try Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls and one of the deep deep conditioners a few times before cruising in July and see if that works better for me.

I just got my hair cut by a DevaCurl trained stylist day before yesterday. I'm not wild about how she styled it, but I will be washing it today so we'll see. It was my first ever 'dry' cut. She said because some curls shrink more than others, it's best to cut it dry to account for differing lengths of curls. How interesting!

She also gave me some Jessicurl 'spiraliscious' to try. But I have to do unscented stuff, so we'll see if it has too strong a scent.

Robin

I just got my hair cut by a DevaCurl trained stylist day before yesterday. I'm not wild about how she styled it, but I will be washing it today so we'll see. It was my first ever 'dry' cut. She said because some curls shrink more than others, it's best to cut it dry to account for differing lengths of curls. How interesting!

She also gave me some Jessicurl 'spiraliscious' to try. But I have to do unscented stuff, so we'll see if it has too strong a scent.

Robin

I love my DevaCurl stylist but she charges $75/cut - ouch! I agree with the dry cut - when people cut mine wet, they end up getting it all wonky. My canopy has 3x the curl as the under layer of hair and so when they layer it by the normal cut, I look like a blonde ronald mcdonald on top. I'll need a trim before my cruise so I'm hoping to find a closer, less expensive curly cutter.

Today I used Kiss My Face Upper Management and Curl Keeper and I had spirals! The dry cold made me lose my curls - we like humidity.

Robin

I would like to know about this type of cut. Did the stylist comb your hair and hold it stright between two fingers and then cut it? How was it done?

I would like to know about this type of cut. Did the stylist comb your hair and hold it stright between two fingers and then cut it? How was it done?

My stylist spritzs my hair to get the most curl in it, then takes each curly strand and cuts it separate - there's a certain point in the curl that is best to cut and depends on if you are wavy or spiral or kinky. It can take a long time the 1st couple of cuts - which is why its so expensive i guess.

I discovered all this almost by accident - I had wavy/frizzy yuck hair and started reading naturally curly blogs - discovered that by deleting ALL silicones and sulfates my hair just got healthier and curlier [i'm a curly twirly] I never use a hair brush, only a wide tooth comb when wet with conditioner on it and wash maybe 2x/week.

Naturallycurly.com is a good place to check out the process.

My stylist had me show up with first-day hair styled as I always do. I needed about three inches cut off so she did some preliminary cutting, then she washed and styled my hair. Then she cut it again. She did cut each curl separately. And she said it is a process but the haircut was guaranteed, and she would fix any 'problems' I might find. I've been sicker than sick so I haven't washed it again yet, but I will tomorrow. The entire process took two hours.

Robin

My stylist spritzs my hair to get the most curl in it, then takes each curly strand and cuts it separate - there's a certain point in the curl that is best to cut and depends on if you are wavy or spiral or kinky. It can take a long time the 1st couple of cuts - which is why its so expensive i guess.

I discovered all this almost by accident - I had wavy/frizzy yuck hair and started reading naturally curly blogs - discovered that by deleting ALL silicones and sulfates my hair just got healthier and curlier [i'm a curly twirly] I never use a hair brush, only a wide tooth comb when wet with conditioner on it and wash maybe 2x/week.

:D:D:D Like! I second the recommendation for naturallycurly.com, no sulfate shampoo, no silicone in conditioner and styling products. I also discovered my curly hair late in life - I don't know how curly it would have been when I was younger - I always blow dried it "straight" - or as straight as it could be. When I got onto the correct thyroid medication and dosage - suddenly my hair got curlier and curlier - that is when I started searching out information and discovered the website and curly forums.

I use AG Recoil and Deva Care shampoo and conditioners - but my all time favorite styling product is KCCC - Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. No frizz, just soft, shiny ringlets. Also no brush, I only comb it in the shower while the conditioner is in. Rinse out conditioner, squeeze hair and then apply KCCC - wrap hair in microfiber towel for 15-30 minutes and let my hair air dry the rest of the way. (It does take a LONG time though). The second day I just spritz with water and re-scrunch the curls.

My hair was fine in the Caribbean...easy to air dry in the warm sun - but I am a little worried about our upcoming Alaskan cruise.

I just googled KCCC and reviews... I think I'm going to buy some today to try, looks like they sell it at Walgreens! Thanks for posting about it! =D I have extremely curly hair that all I can do w/ is put in a bun when I wear it natural. My normal routine is flat ironing. I, like everyone else, have been fretting on what to do w/ my mess on my upcoming cruise. I just purchased Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner as well because my hair tends to dry out easily in the summer.

I just googled KCCC and reviews... I think I'm going to buy some today to try, looks like they sell it at Walgreens! Thanks for posting about it! =D I have extremely curly hair that all I can do w/ is put in a bun when I wear it natural. My normal routine is flat ironing. I, like everyone else, have been fretting on what to do w/ my mess on my upcoming cruise. I just purchased Mixed Chicks leave in conditioner as well because my hair tends to dry out easily in the summer.

They also have it at some Targets, and Whole Foods if you have any near you. You can experiment a bit to see how much and how to apply it to your hair - the less you fuss with it the bigger the clumps of curls are, but the longer it takes to dry. Mine is not extremely curly and it creates more curls, less frizz in my hair - but it works for very curly hair too. After it dries (or mostly dries) you scrunch your curls to soften.

If you go all out with the natural no silicone or sulfate give it a couple of weeks to get best results. I have a couple of docs at home that list the products you can get at average stores without paying a lot. If you like the KCCC you might really like Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo and conditioner. Or Giovanni tea tree shampoo and leave in conditioner.

It's a relief to me to accept my hair and not fight it anymore

I avoid products w/ silicone and sulfate as much as possible. Thanks for the suggestions! When I straighten, I protect it w/ argan oil or coconut oil. I have tried the Shea Moisture line and found it lacking. Well, I didn't, I Loved the smell! But my hair didn't take to it well. My curls have a mind of their own. Looking forward to trying KCCC though.

Does anyone worn the sun hats with their curls? How do you think they look?

I haven't used a hairbrush in years. I don't think I even own one anymore:p

I also don't 'wash' my hair every day and avoid sulfates and silicones. My hair looks so much better without them.

My stylist cuts my hair according to the Quidad method and it my shape and curls come out great every time.

It is amazing how our curls will really do whatever they want, and the sooner we accept it and go with it, they reward us by giving us a beautiful head of hair.

I avoid products w/ silicone and sulfate as much as possible. Thanks for the suggestions! When I straighten, I protect it w/ argan oil or coconut oil. I have tried the Shea Moisture line and found it lacking. Well, I didn't, I Loved the smell! But my hair didn't take to it well. My curls have a mind of their own. Looking forward to trying KCCC though.

Does anyone worn the sun hats with their curls? How do you think they look?

I'm a girly gal and I wear hats all the time. I love them and have like a gazillion of them in all colors, textures, and styles. Everything from big straw hats to wool berets. I love wearing hats and how they look. All of my family and friends compliment me when I'm wearing a hat. I tried to get my SIL to wear a hat because she always says she loves mine but she won't do it. She says she's not a "hat person" like me and that she looks goofy in hats. I couldn't convince her otherwise.

I've been battling with my hair since I moved to CA about 42 years ago. It is so dry here and I came from FL where its very humid. My hair just doesn't know what to do anymore.:eek: I'm going to get a new hair stylist and see what she can do with my now medium length, frizzed out curls. I think I'm going to get my hair cut really short. I'll come back (I'm doing this a week from today) and let you all know what went down at my appointment and what advise I get about dealing with my hair. I'm going to a famous stylist in LA who works with celebrities so he should know something about my kind of hair.

Edited by mousey