Ship Time vs. Island Time

I posted this on the Ports of Call board, but we leave Friday and I am looking for a quick answer.We have an 8:30 AM excursion in Grand Cayman. Our confirmation states" 8:30 AM island time which may vary from ship time'. Can anyone advise me on this? I am confused about the time.

progress.gif

If your port has a different time then the ship the captain will tell you to change your clocks at bedtime. It will also be in the cruise compass. After all ports in a different time zone are visited you will be asked to change your clocks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If your port has a different time then the ship the captain will tell you to change your clocks at bedtime. It will also be in the cruise compass. After all ports in a different time zone are visited you will be asked to change your clocks back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not necessarily. Many Captains will remain on ships time (Miami) even though the port times are different.

It depends on the Captain.

We did a B2B on the Liberty a 4 day and a 5 day with both cruises stopping in Cozumel. On the 4 day we stayed on Miami time but on the 5 day we changed time. Same ship, same Captain.

You won't know until you get on board the ship.

We are sailing Freedom and the excursion is a private one (not ship sponsored) if that makes a difference.

Your tour will start at 8:30 island time. What time the ship is on is up yo the Captain.

I see that you are scheduled to arrive at 8 am, so if that is Miami time then it will be 7am in Grand Cayman or if hat is actually island time then you are still half an hour earlier than your tour.

No need to worry you will make your tour. I would though double check once on board and plan your morning so that you are one of e first ones off the ship as it is a tender port and could take a little while to disembark.

Another fly in the ointment is sometimes at tender ports they only allow those with ship's tours off first, so that may affect your ability to be on an early tender. There is no way of knowing with any certainty what the ship will do.

We're doing the same thing on our upcoming Freedom cruise. Our private excursion folks know we're on the Freedom and (presumably) know what time she normally arrives. I'm still planning on trying to be one of the first off (or as quick as I can), but I'm counting on the excursion folks to know how things work.

I have a non ship excursion and was also worried about this, so I emailed the excursion company to let them know and they pushed my time from 9 to 9:15 and said I wouldn't have a problem. You might want to just let the excursion company know, they do this all the time and will be able to tell you for sure.

Nancy is right, the trick is to set your watch to Ship's/originating ports time and leave it there.

But you can have some interesting discussions with your tour guides in certain instances:D I remember arguing with our tour guide because he got confused about what time Jamaica was on!....I just kept saying, "Doesn't matter what time you're on, my watch says I need to get on the ship in 1 hour!"

You can check out what time it is anywhere in the world by using the World Time Zone converter. Link is: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

For example, it is 8:00 AM in my eastern time zone. When I put in Georgetown, Grand Cayman, it is 7:00 AM there. So they are an hour behind us. You can check for the specific date you will be there at the website.

Hope this helps!

You can check out what time it is anywhere in the world by using the World Time Zone converter. Link is: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

For example, it is 8:00 AM in my eastern time zone. When I put in Georgetown, Grand Cayman, it is 7:00 AM there. So they are an hour behind us. You can check for the specific date you will be there at the website.

Hope this helps!

:) Thank you -- BIG help!