Flight prices New York to Miami.....

wasiii

.....hello all. searched around the forum but didn't see an answer to this.

I have not flown down to Florida since August 2010. I have an upcoming cruise going out of Miami on 8/23/2014, so I've been looking around at airfare. Have prices really gone up that much since I last flew? Cheapest prices I have been finding for a flight is $272 rt/pp but those are also times that do not work into my schedule. So the using the flight times that work for me, it's been in the range of $350-$425 rt/pp.

Am I just clueless since I haven't flown in so long and these are normal prices now? I figured 5 months out I would not see prices this high.

I've been checking flights every day for the past 2 weeks and will continue to do it but am I wishing for something I won't find?

:confused:

wasiii

We don't know your airport, so using all the NYC area airports, and FLL in addition to MIA, returning Aug 30, found many, many flights on Spirit for under $300 out of EWR to FLL. On Delta has many, and Jet Blue has a few, all under $300, from the various NYC airports, to both MIA and FLL.

If you have a narrow window of time, or a single airport, you may be pushing your costs up.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Have prices really gone up that much since I last flew?

Yes, they have. While being flexible re: times/airports can yield you better prices, and there's always the possibility of a seat sale, the reality is that 2014 pricing is nothing like 2010 pricing.

We don't know your airport, so using all the NYC area airports, and FLL in addition to MIA, returning Aug 30, found many, many flights on Spirit for under $300 out of EWR to FLL. On Delta has many, and Jet Blue has a few, all under $300, from the various NYC airports, to both MIA and FLL.

If you have a narrow window of time, or a single airport, you may be pushing your costs up.

.....Thanks Bruce, EWR is not an option, the airport is too far away and the price difference does not compensate for the distance to travel to the airport. JFK and LGA are my only options and I didn't want to have to go at early/late travel times. Also, we have a voucher on US Airways that I would like to try and use.

Yes, they have. While being flexible re: times/airports can yield you better prices, and there's always the possibility of a seat sale, the reality is that 2014 pricing is nothing like 2010 pricing.

.....Thanks Twick, I figured that I was just out of touch with current day fares.

I will just keep on looking at prices daily until I decide to pull the trigger.

:eek:

wasiii

.....hello all. searched around the forum but didn't see an answer to this.

Am I just clueless since I haven't flown in so long and these are normal prices now? I figured 5 months out I would not see prices this high.

:confused:

wasiii

Oh yes. The fares really have creeped up every year since the summer of 2010. And the number of choices have dropped. Making it a double whammy nowadays. Look for alternative ariports as mentioned. Look at different dates around your number one choice. If you are limiting yourself to a certain airline or airport, of course your search is pretty well ended. If you want to chance a drop at about 3 months out, you can. But then time of flights might be more limited too. Good luck.

Edited by eandj

You have to add in FLL to your search. FLL adds flights from JetBlue, Spirit, Southwest and Airtran. You could find yourself easily saving over $100 per person R/T by coming through FLL (and possibly more than that with JetBlue and Southwest including bags).

It's the reason so many shuttle questions are asked about going from FLL to POM.

Edited by kdawg954

You have to add in FLL to your search. FLL adds flights from JetBlue, Spirit, Southwest and Airtran. You could find yourself easily saving over $100 per person R/T by coming through FLL (and possibly more than that with JetBlue and Southwest including bags).

It's the reason so many shuttle questions are asked about going from FLL to POM.

.....but like I said earlier, we have vouchers from US Airways that I would like to use and they don't fly into FLL.

wasiii