Future booking while on a cruise

Hi all,

Looking for your thoughts about booking 2 more future cruises when we sail out on Liberty on the 29th.

I've read it's not really worth it to book ahead anymore because the monetary perks among other extras aren't there. Especially if you do an 'open booking' as opposed to a 'definate booking'.

But i've also read you should do it if you're afraid of missing out on certain rooms in certain places on a ship.

If it makes a difference these sailings will only be the 3rd and 4th time sailing with RC so our C&A status is low.

Those who have done it, was it worth it? Those who haven't do you wish you did?

Thanks for your input

I also would like the hear replys on this. We are on Explorer tomorrow. I had a bad experience with the open booking on Celebrity. When I bought it a new ship was coming to Bayonne. Then before we could use our booking they pulled it out. We usually cruise in March. I have moved the cruise 3 times and will most likely move it again.

Similar question, can I book for others while onboard or only for myself? I had assumed self only but my TA leads me to believe that if I have the information on the rest of my travel party for next year's cruise that I can book for all of them while onboard (and thus pick up the OBC for everyone).

Anyone have any experience ?

We just booked a Mediterranean cruise in Jan. gave my future open booking papers to my TA and for some reason RC didn't use the booking # so they say I can't switch my current booking # to the open booking one especially since I now have the 3/4 guest rate so my TA is sending back my papers to use next time.

She tried everything she could and they wouldn't budge so I don't know when I will be able to use them plus I've heard they are going to drop the OBC you will receive. At this point not sure I would do it again as they don't want you to use them during promotions!

Similar question, can I book for others while onboard or only for myself? I had assumed self only but my TA leads me to believe that if I have the information on the rest of my travel party for next year's cruise that I can book for all of them while onboard (and thus pick up the OBC for everyone).

Anyone have any experience ?

Only yourself.

Regardless of the OBC that is given I like it for the fact of the reduced deposit.

I just booked 2 cruises yesterday that are almost 2 years away so that is a significant amount of money that I do not have to put down for a deposit for such a long period of time.

I tend to agree. You can hold a cruise 2 years in the future while you think about whether or not you really want it. We've booked our last few cruises many months out and its nice just to call up, tell them to hold it with the FCC. Also, my experience has been that cruises rarely go down in price as you get into that last 6-8 months prior to the cruise so holding the price 18-24 months out gives you the chance to watch the price on a regular basis and hum and haw about other cruises at the same time. I'll probably always buy one.

We book onboard also, use your RCI credit card, getting double the points and onboard credit, then you can pay the balance using a discover card getting 5% off ! Booking in advance gives us the room we want and something to look forward to...priceless. Receiving onboard credit is money in the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We book onboard also, use your RCI credit card, getting double the points and onboard credit, then you can pay the balance using a discover card getting 5% off ! Booking in advance gives us the room we want and something to look forward to...priceless. Receiving onboard credit is money in the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I always thought that you needed to book through the Discover Card TA to get the 5% bonus.

Thanks for all the info everybody.

I just did some more research, and I found something on the RC page under the FAQ's that says you cannot transfer a booking made on board to a TA if the final payment has been made, or it's within the time frame where the final payment is due.

So, the way I see it, if I wanted to do an open booking for a 7 day cruise in October, i'd need to transfer it before final payment would be due, which is 75 days out.

Does that sound right?

I forgot to ask one more thing.

I'm guessing I should bring the most current info from the travel site I use to show the RC rep in the hopes they will match whatever perks may be offered at that time ? eg: free prepaid gratuities or obc

I forgot to ask one more thing.

I'm guessing I should bring the most current info from the travel site I use to show the RC rep in the hopes they will match whatever perks may be offered at that time ? eg: free prepaid gratuities or obc

RCL will not match perks offered by TA's. You can take advantage of any of the sale offerings on their website.