What's your favorite restaurant in Venice?

kadey

We will be in Venice for only one dinner! We would like to try something that is not commercial,maybe a place that the locals eat at and not crazy pricey. Do you have a favorite or a" go to" place ? Thanks-Kade

As I stated on the other board you posted on...do a search on this board as this question was asked not to long ago and now that the search function is working you will have lots of info.

Karen,

I did do a search and found posts from 2011 and years prior. I'd be appreciative if you can post some links to more recent ones!

We only have the one night there and I'd really like to find a truly authentic,non commercial Italian meal.If anyone has a favorite I'd love to hear about it!! Thanks!-Kade

I haven't found any really great restaurants in Venice; but then, I'm not as fond of the Venetian local dishes as I am of those from other parts of Italy.

At any rate, while I have nothing to recommend, I did find this thread with quite a few ideas from last October:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1918188&highlight=venice+restaurants

I haven't found any really great restaurants in Venice; but then, I'm not as fond of the Venetian local dishes as I am of those from other parts of Italy.

At any rate, while I have nothing to recommend, I did find this thread with quite a few ideas from last October:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1918188&highlight=venice+restaurants

Hello Cruisemom! I agree about local Venetian dishes. We have had memorable meals in other areas of Italy. The top of the list was at a winery near San Gimignano and the seafood on the Amalfi Coast was terrific!

I love Venice and we keep finding ourselves back there. We have had some really good meals there but nothing that we felt were amazing. We usually just fall into a place there,but last year we fell into a pretty bad place! So, still in search of that absolutely fantastic Venice meal that I know is out there!! Thank you for your direction. You know I hold your suggestions and directions in high regard.-Kade

Karen,

I did do a search and found posts from 2011 and years prior. I'd be appreciative if you can post some links to more recent ones!

We only have the one night there and I'd really like to find a truly authentic,non commercial Italian meal.If anyone has a favorite I'd love to hear about it!! Thanks!-Kade

I have eaten at several restos in Venice,but I can't say for sure they are what you are looking for as being non commercial etc..I would suggest you just walk through the maze of Venice looking for small restos,check out the menu's and pick one that suits your fancy.

I have eaten at several restos in Venice,but I can't say for sure they are what you are looking for as being non commercial etc..I would suggest you just walk through the maze of Venice looking for small restos,check out the menu's and pick one that suits your fancy.

Thank you!!

Cicchetti bars are my favourite places to eat in Venice, but it's bits and pieces like tapas, and not a whole meal, although you can eat a whole meal's worth if you apply yourself. (Or is that just me? :))

For restaurants, I think you probably need to know or be a Venetian to get a recommendation for a place that caters to locals. Those seem to be very inconspicuous places where you have to phone ahead to be told where the door is.

If you look for a really small restaurant off the beaten path, with the menu on a chalkboard, or with a daily set menu, in Italian only, you might find somewhere a bit special. If you see pizza on the menu, run away. If you see sarde in saor, look a little closer. Your hotel might be able to help you if you specify that you're looking for somewhere non-touristy.

We had a lovely meal in a small local restaurant OSTERIA MOCENIGO DA GUIDO & LUCA.

It is easy to find if you would get off at the SAN STAE vaporetto stop. Walk straight from the stop and you will find the restaurant on the right (sort of one-two blocks). If the restaurant is open it is easy to find as there will be table and chairs set up outside on the left hand side of the street. If closed, you will have to find the door on the right. The restaurant will open after 7pm.

It is one of those restaurants where the owner is still serving himself. It is popular with locals and tourists alike.

Cicchetti bars are my favourite places to eat in Venice, but it's bits and pieces like tapas, and not a whole meal, although you can eat a whole meal's worth if you apply yourself. (Or is that just me? :))

For restaurants, I think you probably need to know or be a Venetian to get a recommendation for a place that caters to locals. Those seem to be very inconspicuous places where you have to phone ahead to be told where the door is.

If you look for a really small restaurant off the beaten path, with the menu on a chalkboard, or with a daily set menu, in Italian only, you might find somewhere a bit special. If you see pizza on the menu, run away. If you see sarde in saor, look a little closer. Your hotel might be able to help you if you specify that you're looking for somewhere non-touristy.

For all the times we have visited Venice we have never eaten Cicchetti at the bars! We just watched a Rick Steve's show where he talked about it. We have seen it in bars and it's now on out to do list this visit!

We had a lovely meal in a small local restaurant OSTERIA MOCENIGO DA GUIDO & LUCA.

It is easy to find if you would get off at the SAN STAE vaporetto stop. Walk straight from the stop and you will find the restaurant on the right (sort of one-two blocks). If the restaurant is open it is easy to find as there will be table and chairs set up outside on the left hand side of the street. If closed, you will have to find the door on the right. The restaurant will open after 7pm.

It is one of those restaurants where the owner is still serving himself. It is popular with locals and tourists alike.

This sounds wonderful and what we are looking for! Thank you!!

I agree--never had a great meal in Venice, and the cuisine is definitely different than other parts of Italy. We have favorite places in lots of cities, but never Venice. Once, when we asked at our hotel, the elderly grandma walked us to a place nearby, took us in and introduced us to the owner who promptly found us a table. That was sweet, but there was not one thing on the menu that appealed to me, and the appetizers started at E25:eek:. Really didn't want a E150 dinner at a restaurant where nothing sounded good! I was very tempted to walk out and find another place, but after that intro, we were too uncomfortable to do that.

Anyway, thank you for this recommendation as our hotel is close to the San Stae stop and so it should be very convenient!

Anyway, thank you for this recommendation as our hotel is close to the San Stae stop and so it should be very convenient!

We have enjoyed several dinners at La Zucca, just across the canal from

Osteria Mocenigo and a five-minute walk from the San Stae vaporetto stop. It's small and best to book in advance. Check it out on sister website tripadvisor.

The top of the list was at a winery near San Gimignano and the seafood on the Amalfi Coast was terrific!

Kade

Kadey -

Can you give me the name of the winery you visited? We are Spending a few days in that area exploring the vineyards. San Gimignano is one of my favorite cities and a great meal outside the walls there would be a fabulous addition to our trip.

By the way - I agree with you about the seafood on the Amalfi - spectacular!

lisiamc - Your advice about pizza on the menu is spot on!

Kadey -

Can you give me the name of the winery you visited? We are Spending a few days in that area exploring the vineyards. San Gimignano is one of my favorite cities and a great meal outside the walls there would be a fabulous addition to our trip.

By the way - I agree with you about the seafood on the Amalfi - spectacular!

lisiamc - Your advice about pizza on the menu is spot on!

Tenuta Torciano- I can't say enough wonderful complements about this place. I would go back in a heartbeat! It's a true Tuscany winery minutes outside the medieval walls of San Gimignano (which is a fabulous town!).I thought we would be eating in the winery's restaurant,but we actually ate in their wine cellar. It was set up just for Dh and our kids (both above 21) with the owner giving us the most informative and amusing wine lesson. Then can the homemade food..OMG!!!! We were getting scared that this was going to be really expensive and it turned out to be more than reasonably priced. We had a few bottle of wine shipped home. There was not any pressure to do so or minimum amount for shipping.This family run winery sits in a beautiful setting and I would jump at a chance to go back! I think they have a website and a Facebook page.Please let me know if I can give you anymore help.-Kade

We have enjoyed several dinners at La Zucca, just across the canal from

Osteria Mocenigo and a five-minute walk from the San Stae vaporetto stop. It's small and best to book in advance. Check it out on sister website tripadvisor.

Thanks! I've added it to my ever-growing notes!

When we were in Venice, our wonderful hosts at Locanda Orseolo gave us a list of restaurants that they recommend.

You won't find a better hotel than Locanda Orseolo. Best customer service ever! Link to their website: http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

The name of the restaurant is first, followed by how many minutes it would take to get there from Locanda Orseolo (near St. Mark's) The day of the week at the end of each description is the day of the week that the restaurant is closed.

I did not personally visit these establishments, but I do trust the folks at Locanda Orseolo, to provide good recommendations.

Da Alberto - 15 min - The classic venetian osteria with wooden tables, house

wine and a full desk of delicious Cicheti ( local tapas). To eat, a small

menu for those who don't have high expectations. Sun.

Ca D'oro Alla vedova - 20 min - One of the oldest osteria in town, run for

many generations by the same family. Great desk of cicheti ( best meat balls

! ) to enjoy during the aperitif and, for something more, few traditional

dishes and the famous venetian liver. Thur.

Barababao - 10 min - Or in other words "the Boogey Man". A friendly place

nearby Rialto managed by young and smart guys that, with the chef Milo,

really care of both quality and preparation of the food. Classic venetian

dishes, meat, menu' for vegetarians, and even a little touch of creativity.

Always open.

Antico Dolo - 10 min - few steps from Rialto, a lovely osteria that is

nothing but a small saloon of dozen tables. The secret of this authentic

place is the affability of the couple of owners and the quality of the

seasonal products that every day come from the next door fish and vegetables

market. Fresh pasta! Always open.

Al Fontego - 20 min - A simple restaurant with a genuine and traditional

cuisine. Just to give you an idea about the freshness of the food. Lollo,

the owner, is first of all a fisherman who owns two fishing boats and a

desk at Rialto market. Stop. There's even an outdoor internal courtyard

open during the nice season. Mon.

Vini da Gigio - 20 min - A big name in Venice! Very famous for the quality

of the seasonal specialties, for the wide choice they offer, for the

authentic atmosphere and one of the largest wine list of the island. The

only problem is to find a table available! Reservation absolutely necessary.

Mon/Tue.

Vecio bragosso - 15 min - located in one of the largest and busy street of

Venice, this nice restaurant, with a kind of Retro' atmosphere, offers a

friendly service and a big choice of classic venetian dishes ( even meat in

the menu! ) still for good value prices. Some tables outside during the warm

season. Mon.

Antiche Carampane - 20 min - It's the real venetian osteria! Friendly

service, traditional dishes, great fresh fish and, above all .very

hidden!!! A place to try. if you are able to find it! Reservation advisable.

Sun/Mon.

La Bitta - 25 min - The only place in Venice where they serve only meat! A

small and cute restaurant where you can experience the specialties of the

mainland ( soups, tortellini, mushrooms, meat sauces and various kind of

white and red meat ) if you got enough of the lagoon shell sea food and

fish. Sun.

Corte Sconta - 20 min - A hidden trattoria located in the oldest part of

Venice, and so famous among the natives. They do what the venetians do at

their best, and that means fish, fish and fish again. From the appetizers to

the second courses, a great freshness and quality. Homemade pasta! Not the

best service. Reservation advisable. Sun/Mon.

Linea D'ombra - 25 min - A sort of two sides restaurant : inside rather

strange and modern, outside, a lovely wooden terrace on the water offer you

one of the best venetian view on San Marco basin and San Giorgio island.

The innovative cuisine is delicious. The view is absolutely priceless but

here it's something you will pay!... ; ) Reservation absolutely necessary.

Wed.

Testiere - 10 min - It's considered the most romantic restaurant in Venice,

due to the charming atmosphere, the soft lights and the very small size that

makes all very private and exclusive. Sea food and fish at their best! Nice

and refined even the selection of wines and cheeses. Reservation absolutely

necessary. Sun/Mon.

Acqua Pazza - 10 min - they serve specialties from Naples and the reason is.

the whole team come from Naples! Is like having a small part of the lively

south inside Venice. The homemade pasta is the best in town, but whatever

they propose, risotto, shell sea food, sea bus, sauté, pizza, is great and

is cooked in the southern style. . Portions are really generous! Mon.

Beccafico - 15 min - Sicilian specialties and wines in an exclusive

restaurant that keep an high quality throughout the year. In the cold season

just few tables in a small and elegant room, while during summertime it's

possible to enjoy a meal on the lovely outdoor in the airy and bright Santo

Stefano square. few steps before Academia bridge. Always open.

Osteria Santa Marina - 15 min - It's becoming a famous name in Venice,

especially if the occasion is special, and you are looking for an elegant

and refined restaurant. Here the kind staff propose a menu of local

specialties with a touch of creativity and innovation. During the warm

season, the peacefulness of the little square makes the small outdoor

lovely. Sun/Mon.

Osteria San marco - 5 min - A modern restaurant & wine bar in a central

location, really few steps behind San Marco square. The cuisine is always

open! No stop between 12.30 and 23.00 !!! creative dishes with local

products at most, and even a good selection of salami and cheeses. Quality

and location make the price. Sun.

- last but not least, two names for lunch or an easy dinner: "A La Campana"

and "Anima Bella", both located very close to our Locanda (three minutes

walk). The "A La Campana" owners tend not to accept reservations made in

advance, but they run a friendly, good place where you can stop to enjoy

some Venetian specialties; the "Anima Bella" provides authentic home

cooking, with only a selection of first courses (pasta and soups) and salads

in the menu.

----

These are the places we did try:

We ate at Anima Bella one evening. The food was delicious, but it is a "homey" atmosphere, very small. Not a place for a romantic date.

We also ate at Barababao. Again, the food was very good, but there isn't a view. We were a group of 8, and we all enjoyed our meal. Waiters were great, and helped us with our choices. Of course, with that size of group, we all get to have a taste of each other's selection.

Another great place we went, that I don't see on the list, was Al Remer. At one time, it was an oar factory. It isn't easy to find, it is tucked away, close to Rialto and has a great view of the canal from the "courtyard". They have a wide selection of cicheti, that is complimentary when you order drinks. Very casual, fun, atmosphere. Easily accommodated our group of 8.

I hope your experience in Venice is as magical as ours was!

When we were in Venice, our wonderful hosts at Locanda Orseolo gave us a list of restaurants that they recommend.

You won't find a better hotel than Locanda Orseolo. Best customer service ever! Link to their website: http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

The name of the restaurant is first, followed by how many minutes it would take to get there from Locanda Orseolo (near St. Mark's) The day of the week at the end of each description is the day of the week that the restaurant is closed.

I did not personally visit these establishments, but I do trust the folks at Locanda Orseolo, to provide good recommendations.

Da Alberto - 15 min - The classic venetian osteria with wooden tables, house

wine and a full desk of delicious Cicheti ( local tapas). To eat, a small

menu for those who don't have high expectations. Sun.

Ca D'oro Alla vedova - 20 min - One of the oldest osteria in town, run for

many generations by the same family. Great desk of cicheti ( best meat balls

! ) to enjoy during the aperitif and, for something more, few traditional

dishes and the famous venetian liver. Thur.

Barababao - 10 min - Or in other words "the Boogey Man". A friendly place

nearby Rialto managed by young and smart guys that, with the chef Milo,

really care of both quality and preparation of the food. Classic venetian

dishes, meat, menu' for vegetarians, and even a little touch of creativity.

Always open.

Antico Dolo - 10 min - few steps from Rialto, a lovely osteria that is

nothing but a small saloon of dozen tables. The secret of this authentic

place is the affability of the couple of owners and the quality of the

seasonal products that every day come from the next door fish and vegetables

market. Fresh pasta! Always open.

Al Fontego - 20 min - A simple restaurant with a genuine and traditional

cuisine. Just to give you an idea about the freshness of the food. Lollo,

the owner, is first of all a fisherman who owns two fishing boats and a

desk at Rialto market. Stop. There's even an outdoor internal courtyard

open during the nice season. Mon.

Vini da Gigio - 20 min - A big name in Venice! Very famous for the quality

of the seasonal specialties, for the wide choice they offer, for the

authentic atmosphere and one of the largest wine list of the island. The

only problem is to find a table available! Reservation absolutely necessary.

Mon/Tue.

Vecio bragosso - 15 min - located in one of the largest and busy street of

Venice, this nice restaurant, with a kind of Retro' atmosphere, offers a

friendly service and a big choice of classic venetian dishes ( even meat in

the menu! ) still for good value prices. Some tables outside during the warm

season. Mon.

Antiche Carampane - 20 min - It's the real venetian osteria! Friendly

service, traditional dishes, great fresh fish and, above all .very

hidden!!! A place to try. if you are able to find it! Reservation advisable.

Sun/Mon.

La Bitta - 25 min - The only place in Venice where they serve only meat! A

small and cute restaurant where you can experience the specialties of the

mainland ( soups, tortellini, mushrooms, meat sauces and various kind of

white and red meat ) if you got enough of the lagoon shell sea food and

fish. Sun.

Corte Sconta - 20 min - A hidden trattoria located in the oldest part of

Venice, and so famous among the natives. They do what the venetians do at

their best, and that means fish, fish and fish again. From the appetizers to

the second courses, a great freshness and quality. Homemade pasta! Not the

best service. Reservation advisable. Sun/Mon.

Linea D'ombra - 25 min - A sort of two sides restaurant : inside rather

strange and modern, outside, a lovely wooden terrace on the water offer you

one of the best venetian view on San Marco basin and San Giorgio island.

The innovative cuisine is delicious. The view is absolutely priceless but

here it's something you will pay!... ; ) Reservation absolutely necessary.

Wed.

Testiere - 10 min - It's considered the most romantic restaurant in Venice,

due to the charming atmosphere, the soft lights and the very small size that

makes all very private and exclusive. Sea food and fish at their best! Nice

and refined even the selection of wines and cheeses. Reservation absolutely

necessary. Sun/Mon.

Acqua Pazza - 10 min - they serve specialties from Naples and the reason is.

the whole team come from Naples! Is like having a small part of the lively

south inside Venice. The homemade pasta is the best in town, but whatever

they propose, risotto, shell sea food, sea bus, sauté, pizza, is great and

is cooked in the southern style. . Portions are really generous! Mon.

Beccafico - 15 min - Sicilian specialties and wines in an exclusive

restaurant that keep an high quality throughout the year. In the cold season

just few tables in a small and elegant room, while during summertime it's

possible to enjoy a meal on the lovely outdoor in the airy and bright Santo

Stefano square. few steps before Academia bridge. Always open.

Osteria Santa Marina - 15 min - It's becoming a famous name in Venice,

especially if the occasion is special, and you are looking for an elegant

and refined restaurant. Here the kind staff propose a menu of local

specialties with a touch of creativity and innovation. During the warm

season, the peacefulness of the little square makes the small outdoor

lovely. Sun/Mon.

Osteria San marco - 5 min - A modern restaurant & wine bar in a central

location, really few steps behind San Marco square. The cuisine is always

open! No stop between 12.30 and 23.00 !!! creative dishes with local

products at most, and even a good selection of salami and cheeses. Quality

and location make the price. Sun.

- last but not least, two names for lunch or an easy dinner: "A La Campana"

and "Anima Bella", both located very close to our Locanda (three minutes

walk). The "A La Campana" owners tend not to accept reservations made in

advance, but they run a friendly, good place where you can stop to enjoy

some Venetian specialties; the "Anima Bella" provides authentic home

cooking, with only a selection of first courses (pasta and soups) and salads

in the menu.

----

These are the places we did try:

We ate at Anima Bella one evening. The food was delicious, but it is a "homey" atmosphere, very small. Not a place for a romantic date.

We also ate at Barababao. Again, the food was very good, but there isn't a view. We were a group of 8, and we all enjoyed our meal. Waiters were great, and helped us with our choices. Of course, with that size of group, we all get to have a taste of each other's selection.

Another great place we went, that I don't see on the list, was Al Remer. At one time, it was an oar factory. It isn't easy to find, it is tucked away, close to Rialto and has a great view of the canal from the "courtyard". They have a wide selection of cicheti, that is complimentary when you order drinks. Very casual, fun, atmosphere. Easily accommodated our group of 8.

I hope your experience in Venice is as magical as ours was!

WOW!WOW!WOW! Thank you! I have already printed this and have it in my trip folder—Thank you!! I'll report back !

I'll recommend that you wander over to the chowhound website. Go to the Italy forum and browse. It's a great foodie site. I've received plenty of help from the people on that forum and have never been disappointed. Actually, CH is a great resource for anyplace you want to travel and need a place to eat!

Before our first trip to Venice, there were quite a few warnings on CC to be on the lookout for added fees for service, music or sitting in a certain area and also for bread.That was in 2010 and our neighbors had been caught in it. Everyone said to ask specific questions before ordering to determine extra charges. Is that still the case? We are going again to Venice in a few months.

I'll recommend that you wander over to the chowhound website. Go to the Italy forum and browse. It's a great foodie site. I've received plenty of help from the people on that forum and have never been disappointed. Actually, CH is a great resource for anyplace you want to travel and need a place to eat!

Thank you! I never heard of that website before. I'll check it out!!

Before our first trip to Venice, there were quite a few warnings on CC to be on the lookout for added fees for service, music or sitting in a certain area and also for bread.That was in 2010 and our neighbors had been caught in it. Everyone said to ask specific questions before ordering to determine extra charges. Is that still the case? We are going again to Venice in a few months.

Hi Sunshine Nana! I know there is often a service charge that you need to look out for. I don't know about the others that you mentioned. Maybe someone else can answer that. I will keep my eyes open for them and report back if there are no earlier responses!

There are a couple of things you can do to make sure you know what you will be charged for. In a cafe, bar or gelateria in larger towns, people normally go in and pay before they order the coffee or gelato, (and before they sit down, if they're going to, because sitting down in a bar/cafe/gelateria can cost more). That way, they know what the cost is before they consume it, and can decide whether they want it at that price.

In a restaurant, they should have a menu available to look at, often posted outside. The menu should state if there is a cover charge, whether there is a separate charge for bread, although that is often included in the cover, and whether service is included. A normal cover charge is 1 -2€ per person, although it could be higher in more popular areas. You can't expect to avoid the cover charge, although if the bread is charged separately, you don't have to have any. If the service is included, you won't need to leave any extra tip. If the service is not included, you can tip. Waiters and waitresses are paid a proper wage. They have come to expect generous tips from American tourists, but Italians don't normally tip on that scale.

I would only expect to see extra charges for things like music and sitting outside in the most touristy areas, like Piazza San Marco, or in the restaurants near the Rialto bridge. I think they are very upfront about it in Piazza San Marco, and many people are happy to do it for the whole experience.

• 2 weeks later...