Free Wifi

dlouise

We booked a Med cruise on the Riviera last year for August of this year in order to get the suite we wanted. Oceania has had our deposit for many months.

This cruise is now being advertised with free internet as an addition to the perks that we have. We called "O" to ask for the free internet and we were told that we not intitled to it, only new booking can have it. We then asked them to cancel our booking and open a new one so we can have the free internet. We were told that if we do that we will loose our suite and there is a waiting list for the suite so it was a no go.

We feel that is very unfair to offer more perks as the time draws near while those that book early loose out.

Has anyone else had this happen and how did you solve this.

We booked a Med cruise on the Riviera last year for August of this year in order to get the suite we wanted. Oceania has had our deposit for many months.

This cruise is now being advertised with free internet as an addition to the perks that we have. We called "O" to ask for the free internet and we were told that we not intitled to it, only new booking can have it. We then asked them to cancel our booking and open a new one so we can have the free internet. We were told that if we do that we will loose our suite and there is a waiting list for the suite so it was a no go.

We feel that is very unfair to offer more perks as the time draws near while those that book early loose out.

If you had booked through a TA who has some clout with Oceania, you might have gotten a better answer. A "high volume" Oceania TA is the solution to these types of problems.

The cruise business aims to fully fill cruises. Different tools are used to meet this goal. Free WiFi is but one of them.

We buy our airline tickets way in advance and this is usually works for us as we are very particular about our seats. Some times we see the price driop as the airline tries to stimulate sales but the new price is not available to us. To cancel would have fees attached. Bottom line we see all such issues as part of traveling.

The cruise business aims to fully fill cruises. Different tools are used to meet this goal. Free WiFi is but one of them.

We buy our airline tickets way in advance and this is usually works for us as we are very particular about our seats. Some times we see the price driop as the airline tries to stimulate sales but the new price is not available to us. To cancel would have fees attached. Bottom line we see all such issues as part of traveling.

Agree -- but that does not mean that the OP cannot do better than a stock answer from Oceania. That is why I ALWAYS book with a high volume TA. A high volume TA who does a lot of business with the cruise line often can get a YES instead of the standard NO. That is true in any industry -- the more you do business with an entity, the more likely that entity will accommodate a request. We, as individual cruisers, will always get the standard answer.

In addition,when you book early you get the cabin you want and perhaps (in some cases involving desirable itineraries) a lower price. It's a tradeoff -- a gamble of sorts.

I agree

If you book early & perks are added before FP they should automatically be given to those that are booked

I was lucky to get the added perks on one of our cruises because my cabin Cat was still open but my friend on the same cruise did not get the perks.. her Cat was w/l

same high volume agent

In addition,when you book early you get the cabin you want and perhaps (in some cases involving desirable itineraries) a lower price. It's a tradeoff -- a gamble of sorts.

The price rarely changes with Oceania

The price rarely changes with Oceania

Not always.

It goes up on many cruises that tend to fill up - unique itineraries

I have been on cruises where the price went up several thousand from day 1

Supply and demand

e.g. Black Sea (LOL - not nowadays)

Cape Town to Singapore

And that same TA can get you the benefit of a lower price if the price goes down i situations where you might not be able to yourself.

Edited by pacheco18

I have used the same TA for many years, and feel that all passengers should be treated the same. We are in a Vista suite and at those prices there should not be a NO to free internet when its available to others that happen to book later, regardless of the TA one uses.

I have used the same TA for many years, and feel that all passengers should be treated the same. We are in a Vista suite and at those prices there should not be a NO to free internet when its available to others that happen to book later, regardless of the TA one uses.

+1

agree

A cruise ship is not a democracy.

Some passengers get more perks than others (through their TAs), a better deal than others, extra meals in the Specialties, the availability to have in suite dining in the cabin, access to the spa deck, a bigger balcony for the same price ...there are loyalty perks too - extra OBCs, discounted internet, free gratuities.

Shall we do away with all of that?

I will add -- anyone who thinks volume doesn't matter is burying their head in the sand. That's the way the economy works

Why do you think you can buy the same item for less money at a big box store than at a small mom and pop? The big box store has more clout with the mfr, can get the item for less, and can make up in volume what it loses in profit per item. A Ta who books 300 O cruises can afford to give up some of his or her commission to you. A TA who books 5 cannot. That is just the beginning of the difference.

Cruising is capitalism. Those rules apply

Edited by pacheco18

Take this issue to your TA, maybe try to get it comped in OBC..

Alot depends on a good TA as many here have said.

'No's' have to be said to stay within the rules. Booking certain suites does not mean you are exempt from regulations or policy. Same with seeing that dress you bought for Xmas on sale for 1/2 price on Boxing Day...not fair but:o

The TA will get the same answer. I worked with a high volume TA and was told the same thing--I would have to cancel my booking and potentially lose my cabin to get the additional OBC that Oceania added after my booking.

Forgive me, but there isn't any real way to predict what an Agent will be able to do because the rules will vary from Cruise to Cruise, as well as for every Agency.

Unlike in most Industries, in Travel it never hurts to ask.

Forgive me, but there isn't any real way to predict what an Agent will be able to do because the rules will vary from Cruise to Cruise, as well as for every Agency.

Unlike in most Industries, in Travel it never hurts to ask.

Point well taken.

Agents have different contracts with the cruise lines as to what they can offer. Volume plays into it but, sometimes you have to pick. For example, I have to choose between the AMEX Platinum OBC benefit and Tips included. Oceania won't give me both; Usually the tips are worth more.

This surprises me. We have a local TA who is not a high-volume Oceania agent (other than our increasing number of cruises!), and she did get this added to our upcoming cruise long after we booked it. I now appreciate her even more!

I sound like a broken record but

When people book 18 mths in advance that should be the best deal going perks included

When the cruise line for one reason or another adds extras to the deals before final payment it should be an across the board deal

You should not have to contact anyone to beg for the new perk, it should just happen

This is the part that really ticks me off.

Now I do understand that after final payment they may have lots of cabins they need to sell & so they add perks as an incentive to fill the ship

I have no problem with this, well I do but I understand the reason behind it.

So Oceania execs please just give the new deals to anyone that has booked before final payment & keep your loyal customers happy

Lyn

On our recent cruise I saw free internet,gratuity included and OBC.Called my TA and got them

I noticed other same offers on other itineraries but they stated ( In certain categories ) I think it's how its worded.

On our recent cruise I saw free internet,gratuity included and OBC.Called my TA and got them

I noticed other same offers on other itineraries but they stated ( In certain categories ) I think it's how its worded.

Some say Veranda cabins & above

For our August 22nd cruise it says limited availability, ask for promo code ywo2014, which my TA did and we have been refused.

I really think that all these perks should be available to everyone, especially those that booked early, and for those that have not reached final payment.

We are taking the entire family on the Riviera next winter and have booked two Vista suites and two additional cabins, and I am starting to wonder if this will happen again.

Good customer service is certainly worth more than free internet.

Edited by dlouise

I agree, Louise. On our first Oceania cruise we did a B2B with my mother. The first leg hadn't sold well so shortly before departure they announced an automatic upgrade for new bookings. Our TA got those upgrades for us even though we'd been booked a long time. (I believe we'd also made final payment but I'm not positive about that.) My mother had been in an "E" and ended up in a "A" (now it would be a concierge suite but it wasn't back then) and we went from an "A" to a "PH".

Evidently they've changed their policies.

Mura