One-Time Only Platinum Status - Caveat Emptor

dottyparka

I recently booked a 7-night cruise on Carnival Dream from New Orleans under the OA8 promotion, which gives me Platinum status for this one cruise (I am currently Gold). When I was reviewing my boarding documents, I noticed that I did not have PRIORITY listed anywhere and my husband and I were both listed as Gold. I'm not sure about other ports, but at the Port of New Orleans that is a separate line from the beginning (before security, etc) if you have priority boarding/VIP check-in.

I called Carnival with the question "How will I receive this benefit of priority embarkation if my boarding documents do not reflect this status?" The PVP's answer was, after checking with her supervisor, that they will "know" at the port and we will be allowed priority embarkation. This does not sit right with me. The people who are directing you into the proper lines only have the documents that you present to show your proper boarding status.

Is this a case where I should call back and try to get another PVP or their supervisor to manually alter our boarding documents (this is the solution I am leaning towards), or do you have another solution to suggest? I would hate to arrive at the port, expecting the service that I was promised under this promotion, and have to start my vacation with a fight!

Have you printed your luggage tags? Do they say priority?

Is there any contact number on the promotional material that directs you to a link or number with all the fine print?

I also thought people getting this offer had ALL the Platinum benefits including VIP embarkation and tendering etc......

It is a specific promotion from Carnival, where we'll be Platinum for that particular cruise and will also receive a $100 onboard credit. The credit is reflected on the documents, but the Platinum status/priority boarding is not. If you doubt the veracity of such an offer, please visit: http://www.carnival.com/specials/past-guest-offers-OA8.aspx

I've seen other posts on this board about this promotion. You might want to search for those threads and see what others have said. Does your luggage tag show the FTTF logo like other platinums do?

I was bumped to priority for my recent cruise - and so were hundreds of other people. Your luggage tags will say PRIORITY. Depending on your port of embarkation, it may or may not be an advantage. If you are doing airport check-in at MIA, you will be able to use the express line.

Upon arriving at the port (depending on the arrival time) there really is no advantage. I arrived with people that were not "Priority", and they got on the Conquest before I did - and I was in the priority line. The priority status is beneficial if you are tendering at any ports - particularly in Belize, as the tender operations tend to be slower here. Also cabin baggage did arrive quickly.

I'd drop a note to John Heald on his FB page. He's been very good about helping out with this type of issue.

Thank you, this is a good suggestion--I will likely do that. I'm sure a number of other people have booked under this promotion as well. You'd think Carnival would have a better system of dealing with these issues.

Have you printed your luggage tags? Do they say priority?

Is there any contact number on the promotional material that directs you to a link or number with all the fine print?

I also thought people getting this offer had ALL the Platinum benefits including VIP embarkation and tendering etc......

I did not see a specific number to call regarding the promotion, but will likely call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Emailing John Heald won't hurt either. Luggage tags, boarding info, receipt etc do not reflect priority boarding, but the PVP I spoke with today confirmed the details of the offer. Frustrating!

I did not see a specific number to call regarding the promotion, but will likely call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Emailing John Heald won't hurt either. Luggage tags, boarding info, receipt etc do not reflect priority boarding, but the PVP I spoke with today confirmed the details of the offer. Frustrating!

Dotty, is this similar to your offer? (read post #3)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1986532&highlight=one+time+platinum

Please be aware that if you book your cruise and use this OA8 promotion code, your reservation WILL NOT automatically reflect your one-time platinum status. After your have booked your cruise, you will need to go to http://www.carnival.com/specialplatinum and enter in your booking information. After you have done that, you must wait until after April 1st to print your documents (boarding pass, luggage tags, etc) which should then reflect all of the platinum/priority information.

From http://www.carnival.com/specialplatinum, after I entered my information:

Your cruise documents (boarding passes and luggage tags) must be printed after 4/4/14 in order to reflect your status upgrade. Temporary Platinum VIFP Club status will not be reflected in your online profile. To qualify for this offer, your sailing must have been booked using rate code OA8.

I hope this information will be helpful to others!

• 2 weeks later...