NCL/Chocolate Melting Cake

karinad

We would love to be cruising on Carnival this Oct. again, but, as the schedule is out of NY we booked the NCL Gem. Does NCL have a version of the Chocolate Meting Cake? As many are, I'm hooked on it!

Thanks!

Thank you for your answers! I did get a recipe for the CMC last year and tried to make it once. I think I over-baked it and didn't try it again. There were so many different variations of it with different amounts of ingredients. It's very "dangerous" to be able to make it all the time, so I had decided to just wait until our next cruise (which did come and go in the mean time!)

Since we won't be on Carnival and no CMC, I'm going to have to try to make it and perfect it! I'll be looking for the best recipe!:D

I am looking forward to the Gem, also. This will be our 2nd time on NCL. Our first was on the Star and that was about 7 yrs. ago.

Unless mine wasn't done right, the one chocolate melting cake I had on carnival left a lot to be desired. It wasn't so much of a chocolate cake as a chocolate pudding. I was really expecting something more cake-like with a molten center.

Unless mine wasn't done right, the one chocolate melting cake I had on carnival left a lot to be desired. It wasn't so much of a chocolate cake as a chocolate pudding. I was really expecting something more cake-like with a molten center.

My first one (CMC) on Carnival was like syrup on the inside. I thought the same think, "what's all the fuss about?" I ordered it again the next night and I was hooked! I think there's cocaine in it! lol! I guess there's a thin line with baking it and everyone might prefer it different. I love to get 2 scoops of ice cream with it.

I enjoyed the warm chocolate melting cake. Very much like Denver Chocolate Pudding which is found in the older editions of the Fanny Farmer cookbooks. My sister as a teen made it often.

For me there are much more important considerations:) Hoping NCL will improve deserts!

There is no warm chocolate melting cake on NCL. In fact NCL has really bad desserts so don't get your hopes up. HOWEVER! In the buffet at dinner find the crepe station, get your crepe (filled with Nutella or choice of fruit) and then hot foot it over to the hand dipped ice cream station and make it a la mode! Put sprinkles or chocolate chips on it as a garnish and you're good to go!! :D

There is no warm chocolate melting cake on NCL. In fact NCL has really bad desserts so don't get your hopes up. HOWEVER! In the buffet at dinner find the crepe station, get your crepe (filled with Nutella or choice of fruit) and then hot foot it over to the hand dipped ice cream station and make it a la mode! Put sprinkles or chocolate chips on it as a garnish and you're good to go!! :D

I second this suggestion! I agree that most NCL desserts leave a lot to be desired. The made to order crepes are my favorite, but I usually get soft serve on the side. The Dawn and the Star, where I did this the most, don't have the hand-dipped ice cream in the buffet area. Only by the pool in the afternoons.

Edited by jame_g

Yum! Crepes at the dinner buffet sounds pretty good! We don't usually go to the buffet for dinner, but, as long as there's no dinner police on NCL I'll make sure to check it out!

Sad that there's not a big choice of desserts! I NEVER miss dessert when it's included in the price. I'd be happy with ice cream or ice cream sundaes. My other favorite is a soufflé with vanilla sauce.

You gotta love not getting a bill at the end of a meal! We used to go out to eat at least once a week. The past few years we'd rather save to go on a cruise or 2 instead of paying a weekly check. We still go out for special occasions or when we need it!;)

The Tira Misu cake I had at dinner at the MDR was my favorite.

We like the brownie Sundae at the suite lunch venue.

Tango or Mambo on Jewel class used to have great Macerated Berries with ice cream.

I wish I could do R & D for NCL desserts. Ones I know everyone would love. With good food costs for NCL. Alas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOWEVER! In the buffet at dinner find the crepe station, get your crepe (filled with Nutella or choice of fruit) and then hot foot it over to the hand dipped ice cream station and make it a la mode! Put sprinkles or chocolate chips on it as a garnish and you're good to go!! :D

We got the crepes on the PoA and they had a wonderful cookie and creme filling and a ton of other fillings. Didn't see it on the Sky, but may have just missed it. On the Pearl they only had fruit or what looked like whipped creme.