Solo Trip - Which Itinerary?

agp_mzk

I am strongly considering my first solo cruise for this May. I'm trying to decide which of these two Eastern Caribbean itineraries will be best for me. I'm looking to relax and wind down. I love to snorkel and also want at least one port where I can enjoy a beautiful beach. Any tips? I am trying to decide between:

Glory 7 day - Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk

Freedom 8 day - St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan, Half Moon Cay

The Freedom cruise is about $80 more expensive, but it is a day longer...Such a tough decision! Which would you prefer as a solo (female, 29) traveler and why?

Freedom

~Natasha

Yup.

My reasons - 8 day vs 7 day. And for only $80 more.

Plus, the stops are pretty similar. I haven't done St Maarten and I did love Grand Turk but I also really wanted to go to HMC. Both Grand Turk and HMC are pretty much beach spots, not a whole lot else to do. Maybe a little bit more in GT from what I understand but for me, either way, I'm doing the beach, so for your beach day either would do.

I sailed the Glory and have no complaints about the ship, I'm not familiar with Freedom and what it might have vs the Glory. I'm not really one to sail for the ship anyway. As long as I can sit by the pool in the sun and somewhere to eat I'm good to go.

I'm also really jealous that the Glory cruise goes to HMC instead of Nassau like mine did. I would have much rather that itinery that mine (Nassau, St thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk). The cruise that included HMC in the timeframe we were looking at sold out before we could book.

(I'd still do 8 day vs 7 but I like that itinerary too)

Edited by 1kaper

I'm afraid I can't really help with which ship seeing as I'm new to Carnival, but I just wanted to say hi because I'm also a 29 y/o female and I always travel solo. I started off doing this because at that time I had no-one to travel with, but now I do it because I love it! There's something that feels so free about cruising alone - You get to do exactly what you want, when you want, without having to compromise with family/friends/partner etc. You get to relax and have some 'me' time, but on a cruise there's never any problem finding someone to chat to if you want to. I've met some amazing people from all over the world that I would probably never have spoken to if I was with others. There are various blog style reviews in my signature if you fancy having a read about my solo experiences.

I hope you have a fantastic time which ever cruise you choose, enjoy :D

I have been on both ships recently and I would go with the Freedom. The entertainment on the Freedom was better then Glory. The Freedom is going into drydock soon so when you get on the ship will look beautiful.

In St. Thomas you can have a great snorkel experience at Coki Beach. Another beautiful beach to go to in St.Martin is Orient Beach, have taxi drop you off at Kakao Beach Club.

Edited by runner15km

Definitely Freedom 8 night. I'd actually pick St. Maarten over Grand Turk.

BTW, I did my only solo cruise also when I was 29. It was only a Mon-Fri Western to Key West and Cozumel but it was so much fun. Truly one of the best cruises I've taken just for the fact that I went all by myself. Do it while you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow. Thanks so much, guys! It looks like the Freedom is leading the pack. I'm very excited about this trip. I normally travel with friends, but we couldn't manage to get anything together this year, and I don't want to skip a great deal just because no one else can go. With this cruise being one of the no single supplement cruises, I couldn't pass it up! I live alone, and I have no problem dining alone. One of my favorite things to do is go to the movies alone, so I'm not at all worried about traveling alone. My mother, on the other hand, will probably have a panic attack when I tell her my plans...:rolleyes:

I am strongly considering my first solo cruise for this May. I'm trying to decide which of these two Eastern Caribbean itineraries will be best for me. I'm looking to relax and wind down. I love to snorkel and also want at least one port where I can enjoy a beautiful beach. Any tips? I am trying to decide between:

The Freedom cruise is about $80 more expensive, but it is a day longer...Such a tough decision! Which would you prefer as a solo (female, 29) traveler and why?

Glory because of Grand Turk. You step onto the free beach right at the end of the dock.

http://www.grandturkcc.com/

Glory because of Grand Turk. You step onto the free beach right at the end of the dock.

http://www.grandturkcc.com/

Hi

Look at the Liberty 05/09 eight day NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENT. Curacao and Grand Turk are supposed to be good for snorkeling.

Eight day cruise no supplement a deal!

pat

murrells inlet, sc

Go with us on Nov 16th. Carnival Dream NOLO. Im solo but have a big group.

Just reserved my cabin on the Freedom! I was already kind of leaning that way, and you guys helped push me over the edge. Now to start counting down the days...

Have fun!

If you are looking for a snorkelling excursion, I would recommend St Thomas Scuba and Snorkel Adventures (in St thomas obviously). We went with him on our trip and were really happy. Great reviews on Trip Advisor. There are plenty of spots to do your own but just throwing it out there in case you are interested in a guided tour. He only does small groups, no more than 6, very knowledgable and obviously loves what he does and he ocean. It was just my husband and I for ours.

Just reserved my cabin on the Freedom! I was already kind of leaning that way, and you guys helped push me over the edge. Now to start counting down the days...

Congrats on booking the solo cruise! I have done that a few times now and you will love it. I always end up meeting some great people both on the cruise and on the port excursions.

Not sure if you saw Carnival posts a list of cruises that the solo supplement is waived on. They have the Freedom listed for May 10th and 18th. Although looks like the 10th has sold out of the supplement free rooms.

List is here on Carnival's site.

http://www.carnival.com/Content/single-occupancy.aspx?icid=CC_singcd_1942

Mike

Thanks so much, everyone! Yes, I chose one of the no single supplement cruises. I'm so thankful for this promotion; without it, I probably wouldn't have gotten to cruise at all this year. Due to my work schedule, I am limited to May, August, and December for any kind of vacation other than a long weekend getaway - of those, May is by far the cheapest time to cruise! I am happy to finally be making firm plans.

Thanks so much, everyone! Yes, I chose one of the no single supplement cruises. I'm so thankful for this promotion; without it, I probably wouldn't have gotten to cruise at all this year. Due to my work schedule, I am limited to May, August, and December for any kind of vacation other than a long weekend getaway - of those, May is by far the cheapest time to cruise! I am happy to finally be making firm plans.

i think you made the right choice. I love st. Maarten.... go to Orient Beach... it is beautiful...