Air New Zealand

TERRIER1

I am searching for fares on ITA Software and Qantas and Ais New Zealand doesn't appear as an option. I now they fly the NYC to Sydney route and I believe they partner with Air Tahiti Nui for the Papeete to NYC leg. Is there a reason for this? Thanks.

I did a quick check and there's no problem on ITA. It sounds like you've selected something that has 0 results.

Be sure the fights operate on the date you checked, you haven't accidentally selected nonstop, or to show only flights with available seats (it may be sold out on the dates you entered). Go to "Advanced routing codes" and be sure nothing is set by mistake.

FYI, Qantas' JFK-LAX flight feeds connecting passengers to their transPac flights. You may get better pricing and schedule by flying a domestic airline from a NY area airport to LAX or another gateway. QF has a close alliance with AA at LAX and connections are pretty seamless. The QF flight is a LAX-JFK-LAX "out and back" that sometimes runs significantly late and people miss their onward connections.

ANZ flights from JFK are codeshares to LAX and require another connection in NZ if you're headed to Oz.

PPT-LAX flights are all on Air Tahiti Nui; the Qantas flights are codeshares. At LAX you connect to a domestic airline to JFK.

One subtlety...the JFK-LAX Qantas flight is not valid in either direction unless the LAX connection is to/from a Qantas flight to Australia. For example you cannot connect to ANZ outbound, or from Air Tahiti homeward bound, even though it's a codeshare carrying a Qantas flight number. Hope this makes sense.

If you give more info on your plans and cost/schedule preferences, there will be a lot of great suggestions. Check Hawaiian Air JFK-HNL or United EWR-HNL, using HNL as the "gateway" in both directions.

Edited by kenish

I did a quick check and there's no problem on ITA. It sounds like you've selected something that has 0 results.

Be sure the fights operate on the date you checked, you haven't accidentally selected nonstop, or to show only flights with available seats (it may be sold out on the dates you entered). Go to "Advanced routing codes" and be sure nothing is set by mistake.

FYI, Qantas' JFK-LAX flight feeds connecting passengers to their transPac flights. You may get better pricing and schedule by flying a domestic airline from a NY area airport to LAX or another gateway. QF has a close alliance with AA at LAX and connections are pretty seamless. The QF flight is a LAX-JFK-LAX "out and back" that sometimes runs significantly late and people miss their onward connections.

ANZ flights from JFK are codeshares to LAX and require another connection in NZ if you're headed to Oz.

PPT-LAX flights are all on Air Tahiti Nui; the Qantas flights are codeshares. At LAX you connect to a domestic airline to JFK.

One subtlety...the JFK-LAX Qantas flight is not valid in either direction unless the LAX connection is to/from a Qantas flight to Australia. For example you cannot connect to ANZ outbound, or from Air Tahiti homeward bound, even though it's a codeshare carrying a Qantas flight number. Hope this makes sense.

If you give more info on your plans and cost/schedule preferences, there will be a lot of great suggestions. Check Hawaiian Air JFK-HNL or United EWR-HNL, using HNL as the "gateway" in both directions.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I must admit I am a little confused about this. We want to fly from NYC to Sydney in early February of 2015. We board a cruise there and it disembarks in Papeeti. I don't want to make any extra stops so I would prefer to fly into LAX and then onward straight to Sydney so ANZ would be out. How does Hawaiian Air fit into the picture? Thanks again.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. I must admit I am a little confused about this. We want to fly from NYC to Sydney in early February of 2015. We board a cruise there and it disembarks in Papeeti. I don't want to make any extra stops so I would prefer to fly into LAX and then onward straight to Sydney so ANZ would be out. How does Hawaiian Air fit into the picture? Thanks again.

I would think Hawaiian Air would have a stop in HNL.

Looking at ITA, there are lots of 1-stop options that don't involve Qantas, or LAX for that matter. One that kind of intrigues me is the one-stop on Emirates via Dubai - pretty long, but both segments are on A380s. Otherwise, you've got United thru either LAX or SFO, Delta thru LAX, Cathay Pacific via HKG, heck, even Air Canada via YVR. Lots of possibilities.

As others mentioned, using HNL was my "out of the box" suggestion if LAX doesn't work for your itinerary. HA departure and arrival times are different at home and Oz than QF. JFK-HNL on HA (or EWR-HNL on UA) then HA or QF for HNL-SYD. PPT-HNL on HA is only 1-2x a week; instead you can connect through LAX on Air Tahiti Nui (TN).

No problem with LAX...I was pointing out you cannot fly JFK-LAX on QF unless LAX-SYD is also on QF (since you had brought up NZ).

In the homeward direction, PPT-LAX flights are on TN...there is a QF codeshare. Since it isn't on QF "metal" and doesn't originate in Australia, QF from LAX-JFK can't be ticketed.

Flights such as the QF flight between LAX and JFK fall in an area called "freedoms". I believe this one is "eighth freedom" (could be wrong). It's why you can't book the flight for a purely domestic US trip, as nice as that would be!

Clear as mud? :D

No problem with LAX...I was pointing out you cannot fly JFK-LAX on QF unless LAX-SYD is also on QF (since you had brought up NZ).
Actually, any onward QF flight - BNE, MEL...

Flights such as the QF flight between LAX and JFK fall in an area called "freedoms". I believe this one is "eighth freedom" (could be wrong).
No, you're right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air

Also carrying domestic pax would be cabotage under US law.

Thanks everyone. Looks like it will be Qantas or Delta. Hawaiian Air doesn't work since they only fly out on certain days from Homolulu to Sydney and back from Papeeti. I don't want to make an extra stop stop in New Zealand to get to Sydney. Appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks everyone. Looks like it will be Qantas or Delta. Hawaiian Air doesn't work since they only fly out on certain days from Homolulu to Sydney and back from Papeeti. I don't want to make an extra stop stop in New Zealand to get to Sydney. Appreciate everyone's input.

Just so you know, the nickname for Qantas flight 108 - JFK-(LAX)-SYD - is "Qantas one-oh-late."

Just so you know, the nickname for Qantas flight 108 - JFK-(LAX)-SYD - is "Qantas one-oh-late."

You weren't kidding. I just look at the on time performance stats and that flight has less than one star. How do you get around this? Does Qantas partner with a domestic airline that I could use and leave earlier to ensure I make the flight in LAX?

You weren't kidding. I just look at the on time performance stats and that flight has less than one star. How do you get around this? Does Qantas partner with a domestic airline that I could use and leave earlier to ensure I make the flight in LAX?

If you board QF 108 at JFK you certainly won't "miss" the flight at LAX; you'll be on it already. Yes, Qantas codeshares and partners with American Airlines, so if you want even MORE time at LAX (why??) you could leave on an earlier AA flight.

If you board QF 108 at JFK you certainly won't "miss" the flight at LAX; you'll be on it already. Yes, Qantas codeshares and partners with American Airlines, so if you want even MORE time at LAX (why??) you could leave on an earlier AA flight.

I think I got it. The Qantas plane I board at JFK is the same plane (equipment) that continues onto Sydney so I won't miss the connection. The plane is just always late. Thanks.