Cold Water Wash

Ocalapat

No, I would not send anything delicate. It's a basic wash and fold operation. Warm/hot water.

Agree!

Basic items will be fine, but if something is delicate, expensive or means something special to you I would not send it to the laundry.

Always bring a small bottle of regular Dawn with me and you can do hand wash with it, wash your hair (yep works great), treat a stain, etc. Does a multitude of tasks, takes up little space and it's cheap.

If you send clothes to the laundry, can you ask for cold water?

Even if you could ask,

and even they said yes.

I would still not do it. I am totally amazed that I and hundreds of other people can send all those bags of laundry and they come back to the right people. As to getting things washed to specific requests, I would never expect it.

I hand wash delicates and let it drip dry in the shower.

Some cruise lines have coin operated laundry and dryers with a fold down/out

ironing board with iron.

NCL is one cruise line that DOES NOT have the self laundry facilities.

As others have noted I would not send anything requiring COLD water washing

to a ships laundry least it come back two sizes too small with a different tint.

So watcha gonna do - bring along one of those laundry detergent samples -

about a 3-4 ounce bottle of your own familiar stuff.

Plan to do some hand laundry in the sink and hang to dry on the neat cord

that is found in your stateroom shower stall. Usually found about a few inches

from the ceiling in a round shape with a plastic like button on the surface.

Grab hold and pull it out and it will stretch to fit a fitting on the opposite wall

of the shower. Slide it in and instant clothes line. It will not take a lot of weight

but will do for socks underwear and other small items. For a swimsuit or

board shorts that will be about it for maximum.

When you do your hand laundry in the sink YMMV but just a thimble full of

detergent is enough for several small items. Hand wash and then empty the

sink and refill with rinse water (may have to do this a couple of times depending

on your detergent).

If you are in a balcony cabin you can hang the items on the chairs - BUT NOT

on the railing. A gust of wind can take your unmentionables to a new level ! LOL !

Put a towel on top of the chair and then the laundered item on the towel for

faster drying.

Other ideas use a skirt hanger out of the closet for drying on the cord in the

shower.

Only thing holding you back from doing self laundry maybe the time away from

having fun on the ship.

Remember to plan ahead to wear easy to care for items that take next to nothing

in care and can be worn for a day or two all depending on your ability to stay

away from dirty areas.

Need an iron - ask your cabin steward or butler !

If you are Platinum level or in a Suite your Butler maybe able to take care

of the laundry - but make sure you and your butler are on the same page for

clothing care.

Now you take care you hear and Clean Up your Act !

Thanks everyone for the info. I don't just have light weight clothes. We are on a 30 day itinerary that includes Alaska in May and will have jeans and sweat clothes. Not sure the sink will hold them! Guess we will either have to try the laundry and cross our fingers or get pretty ripe by the end of the cruise.

Thanks everyone for the info. I don't just have light weight clothes. We are on a 30 day itinerary that includes Alaska in May and will have jeans and sweat clothes. Not sure the sink will hold them! Guess we will either have to try the laundry and cross our fingers or get pretty ripe by the end of the cruise.

Is the 30 days all onboard the ship? If there are any hotels in that 30 days, sometimes they have self-serve laundries.

Is there a reason that your jeans and sweats can't be done in a regular wash?

No the sink isn't big enough for washing those items and there really is no where to hang them to dry. The line in the shower really isn't that strong.

Edited by che5904

No Hotels, all on the NCL Pearl. The jeans call for cold wash, inside out and the sweats all call for cold wash and lay flat to dry. Not ideal apparently for ship laundry!:rolleyes: The real risk is shrinkage. Obviously not a great thing when on a long cruise given the way we eat!

Hey Alaska is not the icebox cold forbidden place that is in your minds eye.

Alaska set heat records this past year and shorts were the norm for the

cruises while for land tours pants and layer pieces of clothing did the job.

Cruising the Inside Passage except for the proximity to the glaciers is not

all that bad. You do not need parkas snow boots heavy winter gear even on

shore excursions.

Just layer up or down to suit the weather so in reality only the underwear

will need a touch up and that is easy to do. Other layering items such as a

flannel shirt or long sleeve polo shirt are easy items to tackle and the jeans

can go a bit longer. Only exception is a shore excursion run amok where

you make contact with the earthly elements and score muddy badges of

the event -or- a weather situation where after washing your clothes and

hanging to dry on a balcony chair the cool weather does not co-operate

in drying your stuff timely. While you are out to dinner turn the cabin heat

up a notch and when you return adjust back to something comfortable -or-

consider using the hair dryer to dry your clothes that works also.

You will survive. The sinks are fine for doing one heavy jean item at a time.

Also consider wearing them in the shower that works too.

On voyages of several days NCL usually offers to do a bag load of laundry

for a bargain price - your cabin steward can explain this. As noted before

CAUTION about letting your stuff being commercially cleaned by who knows

what method - maybe they have slave labor pounding your fancy duds on

a rock in the bellows of the ship and that fellow in the exercise room on the

treadmill actually is running a centrifuge to dry your clothes so if he stops

then you will have to see Helen Wait for the rest of the drying ! LOL !

Since NCL is "Freestyle Cruising" you really don't need a wardrobe of clothes !

And there is nothing fancy or formal about Alaska cruising although the

specialty restaurants have a casual dress code that is very easy to live with.

Flying to/from the port another thing to consider is airline baggage extra

weight charges for those that overpack. Target your baggage not to exceed

50 pounds per piece unless you have frequent flyer status with the airline.

If you have a Land Tour pre or post cruise inquire about doing laundry

but you may not want to be bothered if you are living out of a suitcase

from night to night.

So don't sweat the details the laundry can wait till you get home enjoy the cruise !

We cruise NCL and Celebrity and have never had any of our clothes damaged by the ship's laundry.

DW doesn't send any delicates. We use small packages of Tide for washing in sink.

Cotton clothes are not a problem. I wear khakis since jeans are heavier. Khakis come out just fine, as well as pull over shirts or even dress shirts (except for a few wrinkles) .

Keep the designer clothes away from the ship's laundry, but most everything else is ok.

No Hotels, all on the NCL Pearl. The jeans call for cold wash, inside out and the sweats all call for cold wash and lay flat to dry. Not ideal apparently for ship laundry!:rolleyes: The real risk is shrinkage. Obviously not a great thing when on a long cruise given the way we eat!

You may then want to rethink the wardrobe choices than and make more any-laundry facility choices.

Consider trying a set of sweats and a pair of jeans washed and dried at home with settings on warm wash and high dry. Then you'll know how things will go with the laundry onboard.

If your wash comes out OK you can then prewash all your items before you go and can use the ship's without problems.

I know this sounds like a horrible idea while on vacation, but:

Maybe look for a laudromat at a port stop, halfway through the cruise.(preferably a stop where you had nothing planned for excursions)

Run and do a quick load of cold water stuff, get breakfast and come back for them.

I know it stinks to lose part of a port day for a chore...

30 days is a long time.

Good luck.

Edited by bguppies

I always turn my jeans inside out before sending them to the laundry - and they come back right side out. I don't know if they wash them them the way I send them or if they turn them when folding. In any case, they come back OK and ready to wear.

The worst part is the shrinkage. But maybe they aren't shrunk but I've expanded.

I saw a piece on TV this week. The woman said jeans can be worn 4-5 times between washings. DH says they can be worn indefinitely. Ugh! :eek:

Maybe look for a laudromat at a port stop, halfway through the cruise.(preferably a stop where you had nothing planned for excursions)

Run and do a quick load of cold water stuff, get breakfast and come back for them.

30 days is a long time.

Good luck.

I have seen trip reports were people found laundromats and did their laundry. I tried that in Rome in 1983 and it was a nightmare. I suppose Italy is more modern now, but back then laundromats were rare or nonexistent.

If you find on then you probably have to have coins for machines. I would not try it.

NCL has the special where you fill up the bag for something like $29 and we usually get by on that.

30 days is a long time.

Good luck.

With an Alaska cruise look for a laundromat at port call of Juneau (although

NCL does not schedule a great deal of time at this port) and Ketchikan.

Just beware if there are a lot of ships in port there might be a lot of folks

with the same idea of doing laundry. Juneau frequently can have 4 ships at a

time in port and Ketchikan can handled 6. Some of these require tendering

due to dock limitations. If you are caught in that situation forget it way too

much time wasted putt putting from port to ship. Skagway just too many

interesting things to do other than laundry - forget it. Sitka a port with

tendering - not good. Hoonah (Icy Point) tendering - laundry not available.

Victoria not enough time for all activities. Nanaimo - report not available.

The origins of Vancouver Seattle and Anchorage would work but your clothes

would likely not need laundering at this point. Seward and Whittier you would

be busy checking in to get on the ship and if terminating at these ports

travel to Anchorage would be your prime consideration.

In a nut shell best to plan to do your own in your stateroom or use the ships

service at risk.

Several years ago we made an investment in travel clothing that we could also wear anytime and it was one of the best things we ever did re travel.

We each bought several sets of Ex Officio underwear, wash in sink, dry overnight. My husband bought 3 pairs of microfiber pants at Costco $20 each, again lightweight, good for any climate, and dry overnight. He bought Costco microfiber polo shirts, $13 each at Costco as well. I wear knit pants mostly from JJill but some from Sierra Trading. They come in a couple of weights but all dry quickly. My tops are all knit microfiber and come mostly from JJill....long sleeve to elbow length. He takes one sweatshirt and a lined windbreaker. I take a mid weight cardigan and a couple of wool or lighter shawls. We wore this wardrobe for 17 days in Ireland last summer and were warm in mild to very chilly windy weather.

We are Platinum so get two bags of laundry free each cruise. Use this for socks (we haven't found lightweight quick dry socks yet), underwear, and nightclothes. I have put a couple of times a cotton knit polo shirt and it came out unscathed. I know everyone says that NCL destroys clothes but that has not been our experience at all.

All this has greatly lightened our travel load, simplified life on the road, and we find that washing things in the sink every couple of nights, rolling on towels (we always ask for extra towels) and hanging on hangers in the bathroom to dry, really doesn't take more than 15 min out of our cruise. Read Rick Steves website for good advice on how to keep your clothes clean on the road....we don't travel with only carry ons but will go to Europe this year with 2 25" 4 wheeled suitcases .

It requires adjustment rather than saying you need your heavy jeans, heavy sweats, etc. Believe me you will be happier in the end and just as warm. 30 days on a cruise is a long time, and cruise ships have high humidity on the seas, longer drying time. Finding a laundromat and spending time waiting for your clothes is more of a bummer than making your clothing adjustments to travel mode.

FYI, if we are overnight enroute, we wear clothes that still look ok but at are the end of their natural life, and abandon them....we hate to board a ship with dirty clothes in the suitcases.

...(we haven't found lightweight quick dry socks yet)...

I'm also a big fan of Ex Officio underwear and other lightweight wash-n-wear clothing.

For socks I've got a few pairs of Fox River "Quick Dry, Anti-Bacterial Travel Socks." Not perfect, but the best thing I've found so far. They're kind of expensive and can wear through easily if your toenails aren't trimmed, but they are entirely synthetic and do dry (relatively) quickly.

About a year ago, I asked the same question on this forum as the OP about sending 'wash cold' clothes to the laundry on NCL ships. Never got an answer. So....our last cruise in December, we took the ship tour (we are Platinum), and I asked the laundry service director. He said I could absolutely send them our 'wash cold/dry low' clothing and even 'wash cold/hang to dry.' Write directions on the bag, and they follow them. They even check every care tag before washing. I was amazed at the care they took with the personal clothing we saw in the laundry area.

We're sailing again in May, and I think I will follow up on it and let everyone know how things turn out.

I'm also a big fan of Ex Officio underwear and other lightweight wash-n-wear clothing.

For socks I've got a few pairs of Fox River "Quick Dry, Anti-Bacterial Travel Socks." Not perfect, but the best thing I've found so far. They're kind of expensive and can wear through easily if your toenails aren't trimmed, but they are entirely synthetic and do dry (relatively) quickly.

Will try those socks sound good if they dry overnight!