Port of Galveston closed

vols_159

I wonder if this is why Carnival told everyone coming on the March 23rd cruise that embarking is this morning and not last night. This way the people already on the ship, who had no way of finding a hotel room, would have a place to stay for the night.

Just heard from my daughter and SIL who are currently onboard - they are docked but not at a terminal to let people off. They have been told they can stay in their rooms for now although they are at breakfast in the dining room now and then going to play "free bingo". Rumor is they will move around noon and start disembarking

FWIW we on the Caribbean Primcess have been stuck at the dock since Saturday and likely will miss two of not all our ports. The nice nothing is princess has refunded us 100% of our payment and given us 25% off on our next booking and we eat and eat and eat and go nowhere at the moment

FWIW we on the Caribbean Primcess have been stuck at the dock since Saturday and likely will miss two of not all our ports. The nice nothing is princess has refunded us 100% of our payment and given us 25% off on our next booking and we eat and eat and eat and go nowhere at the moment

Very decent of Princess! :)

LuLu

~~~

• Administrators

Good morning, all.

As the situation in Galveston continues to affect Cruise Critic members, please keep posts in this thread on topic, specifically to matters concerning the situation at the port and those onboard or waiting to board ships.

Please also take a few moments to review our posting policies at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=guidelines.

I'd love to be stuck on a cruise ship with room board and great weather. On their dime! I take it you're in Houston/Galveston?

I'd love to be stuck on a cruise ship with room board and great weather. On their dime! I take it you're in Houston/Galveston?

Yes, all lines could learn a bit of what is good public relations. I was surprised to see some grumpy folks. Like others I am very disappointed as our air fare was more than 3000 for the family and we were really looking forward to some tropic weather instead of this horrible Houston weather

Yes, all lines could learn a bit of what is good public relations. I was surprised to see some grumpy folks. Like others I am very disappointed as our air fare was more than 3000 for the family and we were really looking forward to some tropic weather instead of this horrible Houston weather

Hopefully the weather should be better over the next few days. It's a shame there is nothing for you to do around the Bayport cruise facility.

Is Princess organizing any excursions? The Space Center and Kemah Boardwalk are not too far away.

[quote name='chipmaster']Yes, all lines could learn a bit of what is good public relations. I was surprised to see some grumpy folks. Like others I am very disappointed as our air fare was more than 3000 for the family and we were really looking forward to some tropic weather instead of this horrible Houston weather[/QUOTE]

Hope they take care of everything for you. So unfair you all Re stuck.

My parents just called - they boarded around 9:30 but haven't heard a word yet about departure and an officer told them "off the record" they wouldn't be sailing anytime soon whatsoever.

They wish Carnival would either cancel the cruise outright (they don't care about a refund, they just would rather be visiting family for the week instead of sitting on a docked ship 40 miles away for no real reason) or admit the Coast Guard won't let them leave anytime in the next few days. Edited by sppunk

[quote name='sppunk']My parents just called - they boarded around 9:30 but haven't heard a word yet about departure and an officer told them "off the record" they wouldn't be sailing anytime soon whatsoever.

They wish Carnival would either cancel the cruise outright (they don't care about a refund, they just would rather be visiting family for the week instead of sitting on a docked ship 40 miles away for no real reason) or admit the Coast Guard won't let them leave anytime in the next few days.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.khou.com/news/local/Cruise-Ships-at-a-standstill-as-oil-spill-cleanup-continues-251914981.html[/url]

Looks like Wednesday at the earliest...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='prattmom'][url]http://www.khou.com/news/local/Cruise-Ships-at-a-standstill-as-oil-spill-cleanup-continues-251914981.html[/url]

Looks like Wednesday at the earliest...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link. I do note that the article actually says "maybe as late as Wednesday" not Wednesday at the earliest.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

[quote name='evanAction']Sooooo........question about trip insurance....

If you purchased trip insurance through specifically through Carnival:

A) If you were on the ship and delayed coming back into port, would the insurance cover lodging, food and air line rebooking expenses etc?

B) If you were delayed getting on the ship by a day, would insurance cover your hotel and food expenses?

Just curious....never bought trip insurance and/or been delayed in this kind of situation.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the policy. They are all different. Insurance through the cruise line will be the most expensive by far. If you go to a site like insure my trip or squaremouth (or any that has several different plans), you can compare plans. Some cover delays after 6 hours all the way up to 24 hours.

I never used to buy trip insurance. One time I had to cancel a trip at the last minute due to an illness in the family and lost a lot of money. Never again. I always have it now. So worth the relatively low price. On the insurance comparison sites you can get great deals.

I understand how frustrating it is, and would be so disappointed. I would try to keep in mind that as of early this morning, there are some 43 ships waiting to leave ports - and I am sure all of the shipping companies, along with the cruise lines are trying to get to the front of the line. Besides vacations, the ships may have perishables or other things that are time sensitive. This is costing shipping companies and the cruise lines a lot of money. Hopefully those at fault are well insured!

[quote name='LetsGetWet!']Thanks for the link. I do note that the article actually says "maybe as late as Wednesday" not Wednesday at the earliest.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Cool. They changed it. When I read it, it was at the earliest. Good news.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='MrSnarkyPants'][URL]https://twitter.com/KPRCMaryBenton/status/448137165000548352[/URL]

From dockside a couple of hours ago...[/quote]
Coast Guard has to open the port and give the waiting ships entry before anything happens first.

[quote name='sppunk']Coast Guard has to open the port and give the waiting ships entry before anything happens first.[/quote]
Where did you hear that the priority goes to ships awaiting entry? Magic and Navigator certainly need Coast Guard permission to sail, but I have seen nothing from the Coast Guard about the priorities you say must happen first.