Does anyone have any experience with W/C boarding on Princess?

browneyedwoman

My husband and I are looking at a June or July Princess sailing with my parents. They are getting older and their ambulation isn't what it used to be. They walk very slowly and carefully but with no devices so far.

I understand that Princess has W/C boarding for older people who have problems walking distances and standing for long periods. How does this work? They wouldn't need a W/C for the whole cruise because we'll just stop and sit down at a lounge or seating area on the ship as needed. For embarkation and disembarkation with the crowds I think a W/C might be a good idea.

They walked up the ramps very slowly on the Carnival ship last time (in 2011)and people were lined up behind them and I told my parents to stay to one side of the ramp and walk at the rate they could. I encouraged people to pass them if they wanted to walk faster. When my husband and I went on the Carnival Liberty, they had a steep staircase that I don't think my parents could have climbed.

Will they give them a W/C to sit on in the waiting area to guarantee that they'll have a seat? Will we push them or will the Princess staff do that? Do they wheel them to their room or just where you enter the ship? Will we be able to accompany them on the ship? We'll be holding their carry on bags for them. If not we'll just arrange to meet them at a designated spot or call them when we walk on.

Thanks for the info. They've had a tough year and this a reward trip for them.

My husband and I are looking at a June or July Princess sailing with my parents. They are getting older and their ambulation isn't what it used to be. They walk very slowly and carefully but with no devices so far.

I understand that Princess has W/C boarding for older people who have problems walking distances and standing for long periods. How does this work? They wouldn't need a W/C for the whole cruise because we'll just stop and sit down at a lounge or seating area on the ship as needed. For embarkation and disembarkation with the crowds I think a W/C might be a good idea.

They walked up the ramps very slowly on the Carnival ship last time (in 2011)and people were lined up behind them and I told my parents to stay to one side of the ramp and walk at the rate they could. I encouraged people to pass them if they wanted to walk faster. When my husband and I went on the Carnival Liberty, they had a steep staircase that I don't think my parents could have climbed.

Will they give them a W/C to sit on in the waiting area to guarantee that they'll have a seat? Will we push them or will the Princess staff do that? Do they wheel them to their room or just where you enter the ship? Will we be able to accompany them on the ship? We'll be holding their carry on bags for them. If not we'll just arrange to meet them at a designated spot or call them when we walk on.

Thanks for the info. They've had a tough year and this a reward trip for them.

For quite a while after surgery on my Achilles tendon, I needed assistance boarding. There are wheelchairs available, for anyone who feels that they need one. Princess has "pushers". There are a limited number of chairs and they recirculate to board all who need assistance, so if one is not immediately available you will be seated in a special area, to wait comfortably until the next available wheelchair.

You will be able to accompany them, and they can pretty much be taken as far as necessary in the ship. Perhaps to the elevators if the stateroom is close to the elevators, or all the way to the stateroom if needed.

Generally, wheelchair boarding takes place after the people with preferred boarding (suites, elites) starts, but sometimes wheelchairs (at least the first group) are boarded first, just depends on the port sometimes.

By all means have your parents take advantage of the wheel chair boarding option so that they may save their energy for later in the day when they will have to attend muster drill. You should also make their cabin steward/passenger services aware that in case of a real emergency your parents will require assistance. A crew member will be assigned for that responsibility, which hopefully will only be simple precaution.

The Princess staff watch and if they see someone that needs to be taken by wheelchair they will help you. Two weeks ago we were boarding the Caribbean Princess in Houston and they noticed our adult daughter was having trouble walking. They put her in a wheelchair and off we went bypassing the line waiting to board and the line on the gangway. They took her all the way to her cabin. It is ship staff that push the wheelchairs to take people onto the ship.

I don't think you will have any problem getting the help you need for your parents. have a good cruise.

Edited by WWCJR
Added adult in front of daughter

Definitely get the wheelchair assistance not only for embarkation but also for disembarkation. I have used it for the past four years and am so thankful for it as is my husband:).

At disembarkation you will meet at a designated area for wheelchair assistance and will be called by your disembarkation color. A crew member will wheel the passenger (family can follow) down to the terminal area where a Princess employee (crew members cannot go out of the terminal) will take over pushing thru to customs and outside the terminal to whatever form of transporation you are using.....bus, taxi, etc.

Hope this makes the cruise easier for not only your parents but you too.

By all means have your parents take advantage of the wheel chair boarding option so that they may save their energy for later in the day when they will have to attend muster drill.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to try to arrange those golf cart transfers in the airport and I'll ask about the W/C boarding option to get on and off the ship when we book. I know my parents, especially my Mom. If she exerts herself too much, then she'll need to rest a lot to make up for it. She might as well save her energy for walking around the ship. I'm sure there will be a lot of seating options in main walkways to rest if she needs to.

Do you know if Puerto Rico and Grand Turk have pedi-cabs that you can pay for the long walk off the ship down the docking area? We saw them in Cozumel, but my husband and I didn't need to use them.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I've gone on two past cruises with them and this mat be last one they'll be up for.

Edited by browneyedwoman
typing errors

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm going to try to arrange those golf cart transfers in the airport and I'll ask about the W/C boarding option to get on and off the ship when we book. I know my parents, especially my Mom. If she exerts herself too much, then she'll need to rest a lot to make up for it. She might as well save her energy for walking around the ship. I'm sure there will be a lot of seating options in main walkways to rest if she needs to.

Do you know if Puerto Rico and Grand Turk have pedi-cabs that you can pay for the long walk off the ship down the docking area? We saw them in Cozumel, but my husband and I didn't need to use them.

Thanks to all of you for the help. I've gone on two past cruises with them and this mat be last one they'll be up for.

I have found it is easier at the airport to just go into the reservations and request a wheelchair for each passenger that needs it. The airport has pushers, too, that take you through an express security line, and all the way to the gate. You have the option of staying in the wheel chair and getting pushed down the ramp (two weeks after surgery while still in a cast) or walking down the ramp (when I was in the "Darth Vader" walking boot). You will preboard, which is great. You will board with them to help them with baggage and get situated. Sometimes the walks at the airport are harder than boarding the ship - no matter whether it is tile or carpet, the walkways are concrete underneath, which is very hard on the legs and joints. Doing it this way will be easier on you as well.

Then when you get to baggage check in area at the airport all you have to do is tell them you have 2 wheelchairs waiting, and they whisk you through security and to the gate. Getting off the plane is a little different, they can either take you off the plane in a wheelchair which means you get to wait til last to exit the aircraft or you can walk up the ramp and there will be a wheelchair waiting to take you to the next flight or baggage claim, and out for a cab or whatever is needed

Oh, I forgot, make friends with one of the cabin crew, and then you can let them know your parents have wheelchairs waiting. They will most likely be helpful in making sure the chairs are waiting.

Honestly, had it not been for the wheelchair for me at Heathrow, with all the walking and dealing with the trams that connect the different areas, I would have been in terrible shape on the trip. I was debating whether or not to actually use it, and the cabin stew urged me to do so - she knew the distances involved. The pusher, who was wonderful, took us all the way through customs/immigration (handicapped express lanes) to baggage lane to the taxi station and had us safely inside the car before leaving us. I still had one day on the cruise where I just could not do the shore excursion we had planned, but if we hadn't made those airport choices in London, it would have been a lot worse.

Edited by ggprincess2004

I am not sure that there will pedi cabs, but I suggest you check at passenger services to see what they say. I have never (in the Caribbean), that I can remember, not seen some kind of transport, whether golfcarts or pedicabs, something like that. If you find out that something is definitely available, then you will know to look for it, and wait, if they happen to all be taken.

Enjoy your cruise with your parents. I am taking mine next May for their 60th - we have finally convinced them that wheelchairs in airports are not a sign of surrender, but common sense so they don't hurt themselves hauling carry-ons, and are in better shape to party all night (they need minders, they are so naughty) on the ship.

Thank you for the information. I know they'll be embarrassed by the attention but I think it will help to make the whole trip more enjoyable for them because they won't be exhausted after getting on the ship. I talked to them and they actually agreed to it without much coaxing. I was surprised.

By the way, they're both turning 78 this summer. I can't believe that they are that close to 80. I like to tease them that they're "pushing 80" but they don't like that :).

I figure for our excursions we'll do something that involves more sitting than walking. My next job, once they decide on a sail date, is to find some beaches with shade at each port. I really don't think city tours are a good idea.

By the way, they're both turning 78 this summer. I can't believe that they are that close to 80. I like to tease them that they're "pushing 80" but they don't like that :).

I figure for our excursions we'll do something that involves more sitting than walking. My next job, once they decide on a sail date, is to find some beaches with shade at each port. I really don't think city tours are a good idea.

My Dad is 81, and will turn 82 a month after my mom hits the big 80 this coming September. To most people they appear to be in great shape, but as their eldest kid I am keenly aware of their growing list of limitations. I am looking very carefully at what they should or shouldn't do when we take them on the Alaska cruise. Luckily last time they went with us, they were a bit less fragile and wore us out.

Have a great time with them - hopefully you will find some easy and relaxing things to do at each port!

As the other responses say there are wheelchairs provided by princess for getting on and off ship. One thing you may consider is buying a (or two) transport chairs. This is like a wheelchair but much lighter and it folds up very compactly because it has 4 small wheels. Obviously without the big wheel you cannot roll yourself and have to be pushed. They are much less expensive than wheelchairs as well. My dad and I cruised 5 times after his 87th birthday and although he could walk as he got older the long distances were too much. The transport chair was an excellent solution for us.

As the other responses say there are wheelchairs provided by princess for getting on and off ship. One thing you may consider is buying a (or two) transport chairs. This is like a wheelchair but much lighter and it folds up very compactly because it has 4 small wheels. Obviously without the big wheel you cannot roll yourself and have to be pushed. They are much less expensive than wheelchairs as well. My dad and I cruised 5 times after his 87th birthday and although he could walk as he got older the long distances were too much. The transport chair was an excellent solution for us.

Good point - for example at Walgreens they were around $130, but if you joined the free medical club it dropped to $85. Came in very handy for a person with a broken foot.

Be aware that after shows and the muster drill the elevators are very hard to get on. Sit and relax a while until the crowd thins out.

Edited by LeeW