Elite Status Cocktail Party

Ridget

can fellow cruisers please share about their recent experiences at the evening Elite event on various ships and itins?

What was your experience: vouchers or an actual gathering w/ other cruisers? Locations where the event was held, what was served for snacks (usually not much on X), and what drinks were generally included. What types of scotch (for dh's enjoyment)

not looking to start debates just but want to get the flavor of what we might expect on our upcoming booked cruises on Reflection and Connie... neither is a TA or special Elite or reunion type cruise. thanks!

We left the Constellation on May 10th following her TA from Miami to Amsterdam. While I didn't ask Rati (Captain's Club hostess) how many elites and so forth were onboard we were on the voucher system. While many folks used their vouchers in Reflections, we found it easier to use them in the Rendez-vous as it was much less crowded and a favorite server from a prior cruise worked at the Rendez-vous. Venues which accepted the vouchers had the social hour drink menu on tents during the time period. And for the first time we had a server ask us if she could have our unused vouchers.

And another first for us -- the breakfast for elites was held in Ocean Liners, and the breakfast for elite+ and zenith was in Tuscan Grill. We are elite+ and there were enough of us to essentially fill Tuscan on a number of mornings (at least around 9:30 am).

We left the Constellation on May 10th following her TA from Miami to Amsterdam. While I didn't ask Rati (Captain's Club hostess) how many elites and so forth were onboard we were on the voucher system. While many folks used their vouchers in Reflections, we found it easier to use them in the Rendez-vous as it was much less crowded and a favorite server from a prior cruise worked at the Rendez-vous. Venues which accepted the vouchers had the social hour drink menu on tents during the time period. And for the first time we had a server ask us if she could have our unused vouchers.

And another first for us -- the breakfast for elites was held in Ocean Liners, and the breakfast for elite+ and zenith was in Tuscan Grill. We are elite+ and there were enough of us to essentially fill Tuscan on a number of mornings (at least around 9:30 am).

Did you see any difference in the Elite+, Zenith breakfast from the usual Elite breakfast? Everyone was together in Tuscan on Solstice.

can fellow cruisers please share about their recent experiences at the evening Elite event on various ships and itins?

What was your experience: vouchers or an actual gathering w/ other cruisers? Locations where the event was held, what was served for snacks (usually not much on X), and what drinks were generally included. What types of scotch (for dh's enjoyment)

not looking to start debates just but want to get the flavor of what we might expect on our upcoming booked cruises on Reflection and Connie... neither is a TA or special Elite or reunion type cruise. thanks!

We got vouchers first night on Solstice (Honolulu - Vancouver) don't know why, then the lounge for the rest of the time. Only what was listed on the menu was served. A friend of ours asked for Rose wine instead of the usual white or red and got quite a surly "not on the menu." Snacks were few and far between usually and disappeared quickly so there were nights when the servers never made it to our area. One night we had shrimps which were delicious. We only went about half the time, but when we did, we met some very interesting and enjoyable people.

Did you see any difference in the Elite+, Zenith breakfast from the usual Elite breakfast? Everyone was together in Tuscan on Solstice.

The "coffehouse style" breakfast for the elite+ and zenith members held in the Tuscan Grill was identical to what we have seen in the recent past, so I presume it was the same as the breakfast served to the elite members who used Ocean Liners. My husband spoke to a staff person "manning the door" one morning at Tuscan, and his understanding is that there were so many elite, elite+ and zenith members on that particular sailing (a TA) that all couldn't be accommodated in one venue.

This is another topic where many have had different experiences and have heard different comments on vouchers. First...forget talking to anyone on the ship about what's going to happen with vouchers....they hear the same rumors you do and like here, that rumor suddenly becomes absolute truth. Second, the ship's try to manage the captain's club member events as best they can given the public space they have. We've had events in michael's club that were moved to a cordoned off area in the sky lounge. We've had vouchers good for only drinks on a list; we've had vouchers good for anything in the classic drink package, we've had vouchers on "greet the captain" night (whatever it's called), we've had passed hors d'oevers, we've had a buffet of hors d'oevers in just one bar even though vouchers were being used....we've had vouchers refused at the martini bar and we've had them accepted at the martini bar...and finally we've even had vouchers accepted at 7:30 at one bar for some wine to take to dinner.

There are so many options...and you could hit any one of them. The key is to enjoy your "free" drinks whichever way you get them.....don't worry too much about vouchers or not and all the other permutations. Grab a drink, turn to a stranger and say "how are you liking this wonderful cruise"

Edited by ghstudio

Ghstudio; one to add on your list of voucher use - on the Millie 30th March sailing from Singapore we had vouchers because the deck 11 lounge was occupied by Park West doing a private art viewing/talk/sale most afternoons.

Wasn't justified by numbers like at TA, although too many for Michaels Club. 13th April out of Hong Kong reverted to the normal function with part of the lounge roped off to allow the other guests use of the room as well.

Edited by harz99

We just got home last Monday night from our Reflection TA. Our cruise's being a TA with many Elite and Elite+ members onboard could be different from what you will experience on the Reflection. Due to the large number of onboard Elite and Elite+ members, on embarkation day, we received three vouchers per person/per night for the entire cruise. We did not have a Senior Officers' Party, so we received vouchers for all nights except embarkation night. The vouchers could be used from 5-7pm for anything on the Elite drink menu and in any lounges except the Martini Bar, Molecular Bar, the Opus main dining room, and specialty restaurants. Bistro on Five and the Porch were considered to be specialty restaurants even with the small fee.

In addition, the Sky lounge was a gathering place from 5-7pm for Elite and Elite+ members if they desired to use the vouchers there instead of in other lounges. In the Sky lounge, they served canopies such as sushi, chicken salad tarts, small spring rolls, cream cheese on cucumber slices, rolled deli meat around asparagus, and marinated chicken pieces. The Sky lounge was still open to others, but they either had to use a voucher or their sea pass card to get a drink. Zenith members had the dedicated Michael's Club although they were still welcomed to Elite events if they so desired.

When in the Sky lounge we didn't ask for wine other than what was on the menu, except one evening when we asked for and received Riesling from a server with whom we were more familiar. In another one of the lounges, we asked for and received the Benzinger chardonnay versus the St. Helena chardonnay that was on Elite menu; again this was a server with whom we were more familiar (don't know if that made a difference or not). The Elite drink menu also specified juices, sodas, and bottled water, and we were able to get the small and large bottled water which we took to the cabin. We often had a first glass of wine in the Sky lounge and then a second glass in another lounge closer to the dining room from where we carried the wine to dinner. We weren't supposed to carry wine from the Sky lounge, but we saw a few people doing so.

Unlike on past cruises, the vouchers did not have our names on them and only the dates they were valid (3 per person for a given date). I took a picture of the Elite drink menu and can post it if you would like.

As mentioned by others, there is no real consistency in the system, so what you experience could be different but this may give you some idea if you get vouchers on the Reflection.

Kathy

On the recent Equinox TA , with over 600 Elites and plus, we still used the Lounge. Thou full, never crowded.

The trick to getting anything besides the printed menu, is to established a waiter and then start laying out the 5 dollars bills on a consistent bases. By the three night, we could get Chocolate martinis, any wine selection you could think of, request call drinks etc.

Just off the Hawaii to Vancouver and had 500 elites and higher, they used the sky lounge every night, We did get vouchers for the our 2nd night because of sail away and life boat drill. We used our vouchers up in the Sunset bar and order anything we wanted. We told them we were using vouchers and they just smiled. The bar tender got us everything to include a few unopened beers for the room. I didn't even ask, he just handed them to me with caps still on.

On the recent Equinox TA , with over 600 Elites and plus, we still used the Lounge. Thou full, never crowded.

The trick to getting anything besides the printed menu, is to established a waiter and then start laying out the 5 dollars bills on a consistent bases. By the three night, we could get Chocolate martinis, any wine selection you could think of, request call drinks etc.

It's amazing was a nice tip will do. It seemed we never ran out of vouchers on any evening. :rolleyes:

Just off the Hawaii to Vancouver and had 500 elites and higher, they used the sky lounge every night, We did get vouchers for the our 2nd night because of sail away and life boat drill. We used our vouchers up in the Sunset bar and order anything we wanted. We told them we were using vouchers and they just smiled. The bar tender got us everything to include a few unopened beers for the room. I didn't even ask, he just handed them to me with caps still on.

Not too wise to post stuff like this - Celebrity reads these boards and the policy may be more strictly enforced from now on:rolleyes::D

[quote name=ghstudio;42162551

Finally' date=' during the elite cocktail party, they pass some hors d'oevers. When they issue vouchers, they don't pass hors d'oevers....but on the infinity TA, they set up a few very nice tables with cold cuts, cheese and some other nibblies in the sky lounge (aka constellation lounge on the infinity). Likely that was a (wonderful) ship decision..I don't think it's standard celebrity policy.[/quote]

On our Silhouette TA, they gave out coupons plus had the cocktail party in the Sky Lounge plus they served hors d'oevers, with excellent service I might add!

Celebrity is a step up from RCI, even though RCI owns Celebrity. However, RCI does a much better Elite Type Happy Hour. On RCI they have more of a drink selection, buffet setup with chicken wings, shrimp, egg rolls, etc., every night from 5 - 8:30PM.

Celebrity needs to improve on this and other things that are decreasing.

Not too wise to post stuff like this - Celebrity reads these boards and the policy may be more strictly enforced from now on:rolleyes::D

Perhaps Celebrity should enforce the standards to their staff. The Elite event is not designed to be a place to shake down loyal customers in order to be served a drink or snack. A tip to the server is nice and I am sure that it is appreciated, but in no way should it provide service that is not extended to all others. When it gets to the point that only those who have greased the palm of the servers gets the service that Celebrity intended for all of their Elite, Elite+, and Zenith to receive, then it is indeed time for management to put a stop to it and make the events tipping not allowed.

Edited by caladezi

Perhaps Celebrity should enforce the standards to their staff. The Elite event is not designed to be a place to shake down loyal customers in order to be served a drink or snack. A tip to the server is nice and I am sure that it is appreciated, but in no way should it provide service that is not extended to all others. When it gets to the point that only those who have greased the palm of the servers gets the service that Celebrity intended for all of their Elite, Elite+, and Zenith to receive, then it is indeed time for management to put a stop to it and make the events tipping not allowed.

It doesn't seem like passengers are not getting the service, it seems like a few feel that they are more entitled than others and should be given items not on the list. Now that it has been put on here, hopefully Celebrity will address the situation with their servers, since some passengers are asking them to break the rules, putting their jobs in jeapordy.

Just off the Century repositioning cruise, LA to Vancouver, May 10-18. Elite breakfast (8-10) and social hours (5-7) were both held in the Crystal Lounge. No vouchers - order as much as you want. Wasn't crowded. Drink choices were unchanged from their pre-printed cards that we've seen for several years, so I won't re-post them.

On a slightly different topic, I noticed that you can't get morning booze in the RCL Diamond Lounge event (Bloody Marys, Billinis), like the Celebrity Elite morning events. But the RCL evening events run longer, I believe 5-8:30.

It doesn't seem like passengers are not getting the service, it seems like a few feel that they are more entitled than others and should be given items not on the list. Now that it has been put on here, hopefully Celebrity will address the situation with their servers, since some passengers are asking them to break the rules, putting their jobs in jeapordy.

For what it's worth, money always talks....if you can't get a service appt with your car dealer, a $10 bill suddenly finds a spot tomorrow. If you want window table at a restaurant at home, a $10 bill finds one just about to open up. Tipping for favors has been going on, probably back to the greeks and before.

I've gone to elite cocktail events arriving at 4:55 and found that every window table in the sunset lounge had drinks on it waiting for people to arrive.....and I was a bit annoyed (so was the person whose drinks I moved, BTW). No, you shouldn't have to tip and yes, you should be able to get exactly what others get....but the real world just doesn't work that way...(although most of the time I wish it did).

For what it's worth, money always talks....if you can't get a service appt with your car dealer, a $10 bill suddenly finds a spot tomorrow. If you want window table at a restaurant at home, a $10 bill finds one just about to open up. Tipping for favors has been going on, probably back to the greeks and before.

I've gone to elite cocktail events arriving at 4:55 and found that every window table in the sunset lounge had drinks on it waiting for people to arrive.....and I was a bit annoyed (so was the person whose drinks I moved, BTW). No, you shouldn't have to tip and yes, you should be able to get exactly what others get....but the real world just doesn't work that way...(although most of the time I wish it did).

What would make you think that I don't understand that money talks or how tipping works. I don't have a problem with anyone tipping and feel they should at the Elite cockatil party, after all the drinks are free. What I have a problem with is folks putting a server in the position where they could lose their job by asking them for items that are not on the Elite list and then coming on here letting Celebrity know that it is going on, because we all know that Celebrity reads these threads.

What would make you think that I don't understand that money talks or how tipping works. I don't have a problem with anyone tipping and feel they should at the Elite cockatil party, after all the drinks are free. What I have a problem with is folks putting a server in the position where they could lose their job by asking them for items that are not on the Elite list and then coming on here letting Celebrity know that it is going on, because we all know that Celebrity reads these threads.

I'm not sure the "lose your job" thought plays in the request. I don't know the current celebrity rules for cabin attendants on changing sparkling wine for red wine, but I've given the cabin attendant $10 at the beginning of the cruise and asked if they could do it. Sometimes they do it, sometimes not (I now do that exchange with the sommeliers, but I'm not sure that is "risk your job" request or not). I don't make the tip contingent on what I'm asking for...I always say, if you can do it, I'd appreciate it. It's a grey line. I don't think a waiter should be able reserve a table for someone who gave them a tip at the elite event, but I don't know if that's a "lose my job" thing or no one cares.

I do think it's wrong to brag here if you got something you shouldn't have gotten....a free drink or bringing on more liquor than allowed. Admittedly I've been guilty of mentioning this type of thing one or two times without details (and without tips being involved).

If celebrity is reading this and wants to do something helpful, I hope they focus on the "comfort animal/service animal thread"....

Edited by ghstudio

Do you think they believe everything they read..Come on, I have better things to worry about than what I posted or what Celebrity reads on these boards.

We are on the Infinity in August. Haven't been on Celebrity in awhile so I know there are some changes! We have the drink package which is new to us.

What is served at the Elite+ breakfast?

There is no separate Elite+ breakfast, but instead a combined Elite and Elite+ breakfast for both member levels; Zenith members have a separate breakfast though. The breakfasts are buffet style and have been very similar on the different ships with pastries, fruits (pineapple, orange slices, grapefruit halves, melons, kiwi, grapes, sometimes mango & sometimes berries as a garnish), smoked salmon, capers, onions, tomato slices, bagels, yogurt, cheese slices, deli meat, fresh squeezed orange & grapefruit juice, tomato juice, fruit smoothies, mimosa, sparkling wine, bloody mary, coffee, tea, lattes, and cappuccinos. On the Infinity in September, they had a large bowl of delicious mixed berries on some days, but I have not seen that on the other ships. On the Reflection this month, we also had chopped hard-boiled eggs, separated in two different bowls by whites and yokes and we also had cream cheese on cucumber slices. I have seen the fruit smoothies in pitchers and serve yourself, and sometimes made to order. The cappuccinos, lattes, and drinks with alcohol are made per order, not serve yourself. Maybe someone can fill in other items I could be missing from my list.

Kathy