cafe promenade sandwiches

We thought the sandwiches were a joke. They were on a large roll with a very small, about 3" x 3" paper thin piece of meat on them. After one time we never went back. The other problem was no drinks, such as ice tea, lemonade, etc., available. The only thing was water at the pizza place or coffee. This was on the Freedom of the Seas. We were looking more for something like the deli on Carnival.

The Café Promenade was the only dining disappointment on our recent Adventure cruise. The snack sandwiches were not at all rotated. It was the same thing for me, all week long....some kind of pesto sandwich with an olive, which I had to pull off because I don't like olives. Also, like the above poster said, there was nothing other than water or coffee to drink, no lemonade or iced tea like I'd grown used to. I guess those are among the cutbacks being made. Also, the cookie choices were wiz-eak.

Last year we had some yummy crumb cake at the cafe on the Freedom..does anyone know if its still available? Perticularly on the Oasis.

We've noticed a lot of variance between ships, particularly recently, as to the offerings. On our earlier cruises, there was more rotation. Lately, there seemed to be less variety and some items seemed to be in the case most of the week. That's not a bad thing if you like that item, but for those who might not, they probably want something different.

It's anyone's guess nowadays if they will have what you're looking for. We also found the quality varied. Baked goods/desserts in the case (Promenade Café) were better on AOS; not very flavorful on Allure.

And yet, in spite of all these things, we manage not to starve on our cruises. :rolleyes:

Edited by CntPAcruiser

They are more like finger sandwiches, and are light and not overfilled or overfilling. I wouldn't call them skimpy, at all. They are something to hold you over between lunch and dinner or late night snack. It's definitely a Café and not a Deli.

Also, I have never, ever gotten one with mayo or mustard on them. They make them up "dry"...and, you put the condiments on yourself. Dressings/condiments are right there in containers when you get your sandwich/sandwiches. (mustard, mayo, relish, etc.)

Cheers!:)

I will second what Sheila says about the mustard, mayo,etc.. I always have to ask for those things(in little packets) if I want them on my sandwich. If you want your sandwich plain that is most likely the way you will get it! Enjoy!:)

Not at all like Carnival's deli.. Which we enjoyed greatly!!

I wish the Allure had a "deli" where they can make fresh toasted sandwiches for you.

Park cafe does this. Had several made to order cuban sandwiches on last cruise.

I never saw the small size of the sandwiches as a negative. I thought they were small 1) so if you wanted "just a bite", you wouldn't be wasteful in throwing away half a sandwich. 2) so if you were making a small meal, you could have several different sandwiches instead of only one.

Do they have a regular tuna sandwich?

I have had tuna salad on croissant (very good); however, if you meant, "Is it always available?" that answer is no.

What IS always available is the ham and cheese croissant (which is my husband's favorite by far). Everything else rotates. I've never had anything I didn't like.

• 2 weeks later...
I have had tuna salad on croissant (very good); however, if you meant, "Is it always available?" that answer is no.

What IS always available is the ham and cheese croissant (which is my husband's favorite by far). Everything else rotates. I've never had anything I didn't like.

I don't recall seeing a tuna salad croissant in the Café Promenade, and will have to look for this. They do have a rather tasty tuna salad (and I think chicken salad as well) on the buffet in the Windjammer, I think for lunch and/or in the afternoon.