Deboard at Embarkation?

uilleann

Once you have checked in, boarded, and been to your room, can you leave again while still at your embarkation port. I was thinking about greeting some of our group who are coming late or taking pics of the ship, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, you can.

But just remember, there's a lot to do once you board, and that takes time! There's paperwork in your cabin, and it's a good idea to check that confirmations are correct. Many times you have to get those pre-planned reservations corrected. There's a lunch to eat! And luggage to unpack!

Oh, not to mention the difficulty getting back down the gangway when there are crowds of people dragging carry-ons as they board. ;)

You definitely can do this. Some ports like San Diego have fun things to do, eat, and see close to the ship, others like Port Everglades, not so much.

Having never cruised out of a western port like San Diego or Seattle I can't comment on those but would agree getting off after boarding at Port Everglades doesn't do much for me. It's not like there's a pleasant restaurant or lounge to hang out in and while the terminal is OK it's certainly not as comfortable as my cabin, pool area or several other, venues on the ship. We've only cruised with another couple once and we stayed in the same hotel pre-cruise so no coordination needed other than when to meet to go over to the ship. When meeting up with fellow CC'ers, which we've done a number of times, it's been more like "we'll be in the Crow's Nest" kind of coordination.

... getting off after boarding at Port Everglades doesn't do much for me. It's not like there's a pleasant restaurant or lounge to hang out in and while the terminal is OK it's certainly not as comfortable as my cabin, pool area or several other, venues on the ship.
But it doesn't give you one last chance to get free wifi time to let folks know you've arrived at the ship, etc. I'm not sure if you can pick up the terminal signal from on board.

But it doesn't give you one last chance to get free wifi time to let folks know you've arrived at the ship, etc. I'm not sure if you can pick up the terminal signal from on board.

I have wifi through my cell phone service package so it's not an issue for me as long as we're in port. Helps that I only have three people to notify and we usually do that through a text message. Kind of a "We're on the ship. Text you when we get back. Bye." :)

Also bear in mind that you cannot do this at Vancouver if you have gone through US pre-clearance.

James (or anyone who can answer), what is US pre-clearance. We will be embarking in Vancouver in May.

We got off the ship with a in-transit card in Vancouver last year on a B2B from San Diego, then on to Alaska.

What actually happens when we get to the Vancouver terminal.? We will be staying at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place.

Thank You,

Ken

James (or anyone who can answer), what is US pre-clearance. We will be embarking in Vancouver in May.

Even though you will be on Canadian soil, you will pass through US Immigration Services before boarding the ship---in anticipation of your entry into the US when you reach the first Alaska port. This makes it very easy to head into port when you do get there.

There's a similar set-up at the Vancouver airport for those flying back to the US after the cruise. They actually clear US Immigration and Customs in the Vancouver airport, so don't have to do it on arrival.

Even though you will be on Canadian soil, you will pass through US Immigration Services before boarding the ship---in anticipation of your entry into the US when you reach the first Alaska port. This makes it very easy to head into port when you do get there.

There's a similar set-up at the Vancouver airport for those flying back to the US after the cruise. They actually clear US Immigration and Customs in the Vancouver airport, so don't have to do it on arrival.

Thanks so much for your answer Ruth. I owe you a box of chocolates!!

Ken