Tipping questions...

Antman1131

I have cruised many time before and never quite know how to tip. I was once fortunate enough to stay in a 2 bedroom suite with butler and concierge and although I tipped them both at the end of the trip to this day I do not know if I gave too much, or was a cheapskate.... Anyone have any tip amount suggestions.... Also I am going on the Breakaway March 30 and already prepaid my tips.. I have heard I should still tip my cabin steward at the begining, if so how much???? Btw I have always had exceptional service on Norwegian and I never tipped up front..... Tyi

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Scroll down the page. Their is an active thread about tipping, and the tip upfront thing.

As to tipping a butler - that is wide open. This is one time a search would help you out considerably. If you search on "butler" or "butler tipping" you will get so many answers it will make you want to stay home - LOL!

I have cruised many time before and never quite know how to tip. I was once fortunate enough to stay in a 2 bedroom suite with butler and concierge and although I tipped them both at the end of the trip to this day I do not know if I gave too much, or was a cheapskate.... Anyone have any tip amount suggestions.... Also I am going on the Breakaway March 30 and already prepaid my tips.. I have heard I should still tip my cabin steward at the begining, if so how much???? Btw I have always had exceptional service on Norwegian and I never tipped up front..... Tyi

We've been cruising for more than 25 years and have never tipped at the beginning of the cruise.

Since you say you've cruised many times, have never tipped up front, and have always gotten good service, where are these mysterious suggestions saying to tip up front coming from, and why would you pay the least bit of attention to them now?

By the way, there's no such thing as prepaying "tips" on NCL. You can prepay the $12 per person per day service charge. Anything you would give to a cabin steward or waiter beyond that is a tip...but the service charge isn't.

Butlers and concierges don't participate in the service charge pool, and the amount you tip them is discretionary.

Edited by njhorseman

We have cruised over a dozen times on a variety of lines and have never tipped up front. If we ask for extra service, such as for more hangars on busy embarkation day, we give a small tip. But other than that we only tip at the end. We prepay the DSC.

Thanks for all the input.... The only reason i brought it up was that others were talking about tipping "upfront". If the $12 per day service charge is not a tip than what is it? On other cruise lines with set dinner times you have the same waitstaff all week and you tip at the end.... It was my impression that NCL charges the $12 per day in lieu of that....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the input.... The only reason i brought it up was that others were talking about tipping "upfront". If the $12 per day service charge is not a tip than what is it? On other cruise lines with set dinner times you have the same waitstaff all week and you tip at the end.... It was my impression that NCL charges the $12 per day in lieu of that....

See NCL FAQs:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

If you read, and believe some of these comments here, folks tip everyone on the first day, everyone in every restaurant, everyone who holds open a door for them, their room steward every day, everytime they bring them ice, room service, etc.

I do not know if I really believe them.

I am on vacation, and am not handing out money everytime someone does something for me.

I gladly tip those who assist me during the cruise, at the end of the cruise. I do not feel I need to bribe or show that I am a big shot, treat me well and I will keep handing out $$ all the time. If you feel you need to do this, by all means do so.

I also fill out the 'Service Cards' available at the pursers desk when individuals go above and beyond assisting me. These cards may mean more time off, extra perks for them, goes into their service records, and assist their careers with NCL. This may mean more to them then a few more dollars, or euros in their pocket.

Do what you feel is appropriate, enjoy your cruise. :)

By the way, there's no such thing as prepaying "tips" on NCL. You can prepay the $12 per person per day service charge. Anything you would give to a cabin steward or waiter beyond that is a tip...but the service charge isn't.

Incorrect. The Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) is indeed a tip or gratuity. If you pay the DSC no additional tip is expected or necessary.

Incorrect. The Discretionary Service Charge (DSC) is indeed a tip or gratuity. If you pay the DSC no additional tip is expected or necessary.

As usual you refuse to acknowledge that on NCL the service charge and gratuities are two different things.

Please tell me, if they are the same, why does NCL have separate and totally different FAQs explaining tipping and the service charge ? Here they are, not that you're going to read them or attempt to understand them.

The service charge supports crew salary and incentive programs. A tip or gratuity is given to acknowledge exceptional service. They are completely different.

First, the tipping FAQ:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Now, the service charge FAQ:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Edited by njhorseman

Tipping up front is a personal choice. We always make a request on day 1 of our steward, and accompany it with a tip. It's how I was raised. Someone does something for you - you tip them. Doesn't mean you have to. It is certainly ok to wait until the end of the cruise if you want.

Not too sure what the difference would ever be.

Yes people can argue that they are different - but it is only a name.

For all the years that I have cruised it has always been a suggested gratuity.

It is merely a change of name and is the same thing.

Except that a tip or gratuity goes directly into the staff member's pocket, where the service charge is divided, some of it going directly to the staff member in lieu of gratuity and some of it goes to incentive programs, which do not go directly into each staff member's pocket.

Robin

Except that a tip or gratuity goes directly into the staff member's pocket, where the service charge is divided, some of it going directly to the staff member in lieu of gratuity and some of it goes to incentive programs, which do not go directly into each staff member's pocket.

Robin

So adding a tip to a bill at dinner goes straight into their pocket? I am not sure. Who gets it - your waiter, the chef, the guy on the washing up?

Who even says cash tips go into their pocket?

Exactly correct. Some wish to argue semantics to further their agenda. The DSC is the tip.

The agenda is usually to convince the ignorant to tip twice.

....Some wish to argue semantics to further their agenda. The DSC is the tip.....

No matter what NCL puts in print, the DSC is taking care of the tip issue, for most situations. Spin it whatever you want.

You can still tip EXTRA if you want, and many people do.

Some might tip extra for a drink, even though they all have 15% "fee" already added.

Some might tip on the spot when a steward or other staff member does something extra - this could be an "advance" tip to some.

Some might tip extra at the end of the cruise.

And, some will never ever tip anything.

So be it.

I don't know if this adds anything to this thread but, Our first cruise on NCL, We pre-paid the $12 a day. And then the room steward about half way through. That guy worked unbelievably hard. And a bar man on the pool deck who kept getting us drinks. Other than that, We didnt tip anything extra. We are from the UK so our culture is slightly different here. Now im questioning if we should be tipping more on our next cruise. Lol :confused:

No matter what NCL puts in print, the DSC is taking care of the tip issue, for most situations. Spin it whatever you want.

You can still tip EXTRA if you want, and many people do.

Some might tip extra for a drink, even though they all have 15% "fee" already added.

Some might tip on the spot when a steward or other staff member does something extra - this could be an "advance" tip to some.

Some might tip extra at the end of the cruise.

And, some will never ever tip anything.

So be it.

No spin here. It's very simple, the DSC is the tip. Has been since they rolled it out around 2000.

Robin

Except of course when you are in an establishment where tips are pooled and then divided. I leave the tip and care not what happens to it after that.

So adding a tip to a bill at dinner goes straight into their pocket? I am not sure. Who gets it - your waiter, the chef, the guy on the washing up?

Who even says cash tips go into their pocket?

If the service charge (which I would consider in lieu of gratuity rather than entirely gratuity in itself) is left in place, and you decide to tip additional, that amount goes directly to the staff. it goes both the person you give it to and to the staff he "tips out" to (busboys, other waiters, food runners, etc) just like in a land-based restaurant or a traditionally tipped crew. I have discussed this in length with a few crew members on several sailings. (And I remain friends with some of them to this day).

While it is a bit more than semantics (meaning its not exactly the same, not all your Service charge goes directly to the employees in cash like a traditional tip would), it comes down to the fact that if you leave the service charge in place, it takes the place of traditional tipping. So you are correct, there is no necessity to tip additionally. I personally tip on top of it in many situations because I have worked for years in the service industry, understand the hard work and low pay involved, and have always received absolutely top notch service on NCL, but that's me and is not necessary for anyone else.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Except of course when you are in an establishment where tips are pooled and then divided. I leave the tip and care not what happens to it after that.

yeah thats a very fair point. We have tipped, We should then be concerned what happens after. Going by the number of threads on tipping, We already worry about tipping in the first place, Now are we really going to start worrying what happens w

once we have.

This would only be true in an establishment who kept a portion of the cash tips to throw staff parties, etc, instead of paying all cash tips directly to the employees. I have never worked in such an establishment, although they might actually exist. I also leave the tip in place every time, and would never argue that..

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Exactly correct. Some wish to argue semantics to further their agenda. The DSC is the tip.

The agenda is usually to convince the ignorant to tip twice.

The only agenda I have is to present the facts.

You always avoid answering the question about why NCL has two completely different FAQs explaining tipping and the service charge. Of course it's rather obvious why.

But let's just for a minute say for purposes of a hypothetical argument that you're right...that tipping and the service charge are the same. The service charge is billed at $12 per day. What if the passenger is so happy with the service they've received from their steward, waiters, etc. that they don't think those crew members' share (even though we don't know what that share is) of the service charge isn't sufficient reward for the job they did. Why isn't appropriate at that point to offer an additional tip? Why is that, in your words "the ignorant tipping twice" ? On land do you always tip the identical amount or percentage everywhere you go? You never vary your tip in a restaurant or elsewhere based on quality of service?