Can I book an "Accesible Room" even if I'm not disable?

Hi, I'm not obviously handicapped to look at me, but I have severe back issues. I've been using a portable stool for walks so I can sit down when I need it. My last cruise from an Aft cabin was horrible! So, I was thinking of renting a scooter for my next trip but a few people said I'd have trouble parking it in a reg. cabin. So I'm back to the folding chair. I may look into a handicapped shortly before our cruise on Allure.

My husband has the exact problem. We recently decided to book an accessible room on our upcoming Oasis cruise.. due to the fact that he has problems just lifting his feet into the bathroom on the ship (there is usually a small step) ..AND because he can use the hand rails and the seat in the shower. Hopefully, this will be the only time we need one as he will be having surgery after our cruise..which will help him (praying it does). Our last cruise, we booked a JS which was great but he really had a difficult time getting into the tub. Outwardly he doesn't appear to have a "big" enough problem to require the use of an accessible room...but in reality he does. He does walk with a limp and shuffles instead of lifting his feet (due to his back)and sometimes loses his balance..but refuses to use one of my canes. (I am debating renting a scooter for him on the ship) BUT although we both have handicapped parking permits,(I have RA) handicapped plates and a designated parking space in front of the house....we still feel guilty booking this room...We feel as tho we are taking it from someone who needs it more.

You CAN NOT leave your scooter in the hall way. You must park it in your stateroom. Depending on how big a scooter she has, you can put in a reg room if needed. My husband has a small portable scooter that will fit in the doorway of a reg room. BUT now he prefers to take his big scooter and with that it will not go through a reg doorway, so we must do a handicap room.

It hurts us to know that people would think about booking a handicap (Larger) room just to have more space. We cant usually book years out for vactions and due to the scooter issue it limits us on all most every cruise as I have still never seen a last min deal for a handicap room. I WOULD LOVE to get a good deal on one :)

How would RCI know if anyone actually needed it or not? I bet there are rules governing asking about or disclosing someone's medical information.

Sure there are rules about disclosure of medical information - its known as HIPAA. In this case though, the request is allowed. You don't have to disclose anything to them - but they don't have to give you an accessible room if you choose not to. ryano has already stated that he's been asked to provide a form filled out documenting his need.

I'm not sure how this works. Is there someone at RCI who is qualified to determine if you're disabled enough to deserve the room or not?

It's kind of a slippery slope. Better if people would just use common sense and book them only if they need them.

Why do you think its such a slippery slope? Is there someone at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles who's qualified to determine if you're disabled enough to deserve the handicapped parking permit or not? Well, I guess by definition there is, because you ARE required to provide documentation of your legitimate need to get one.

The funny thing is, while I ALWAYS feel out the special needs form, I have NEVER been asked for any documentation of my disability.

We all know how consistent Royal Caribbean is at being inconsistent though :p;)

We have been filling out the special needs forms for years. Have not used a handicapped room, but DH needs wheelchair assist to board, Bi-pap machine and fridge (if ship has no coolers) for insulin.

On our last cruise he had difficulty walking to the elevator and some more walking problems on excursions. He has a messed up back and congestive heart failure.

When I called Royal to book our 2015 B2B cruises we could not get a cabin near the mid-ship elevator. (With some early bookings the TA's have already blocked out a large number of cabins for their trade, lowering availability for those booking on their own).

I had already asked for names of wheel chair rental companies so that we would have one for private excursions and the rep suggested we get an accessible cabin because of the proximity to the elevator.

She gave me an email address to RCI's on-line special needs form which doesn't need to be faxed and I filled them in. I received a return email that they had received the forms.

No doctor's note was required, though I offered to get one or email them a copy of the handicapped plackard we have for the car.

The accessible cabin is a regular class cabin so if there are any price drops for that class, I should be able to get them.

I want the same cabin for both sailings as it's hard for us to move, but if one became available for both cruises near the mid-ship elevator, I'd be happy to give up the accessible cabin if it was need for someone totally immobile.

I sit here, in a wheel chair, with a broken knee cap. I can very well appreciate the needs for someone who has severe mobility issues.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

Can I book an "Accesible Room" even if I'm not disable?

What is the difference between an accesible room and a regular one?

As of January 1, 2012 a Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective that requires that the

the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the HC/Accessible cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . The reason this Federal originated was due to the fraudulent booking by the Abled Body who do not require the need for such a cabin only to to get the larger room without having to pay for a larger category cabin. Some of the key points to this law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Under the this law for an able body person can book an HC/Accessible after the final payment period for the cruise has past at which time any unsold HC cabins are than open to the general public for booking. Should the individual falsely certify their need to an HC/Accessible the Cruise Line has the right under this Federal Law to reassign another cabin or even bump them from the cruise all together.

RCCL does require a person to Certify their need to have booked an HC/Accessible. When completing the online check-in there will be a section that applies directly to the Certification Process and by checking the box the individual is certifying that they have a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The funny thing is, while I ALWAYS feel out the special needs form, I have NEVER been asked for any documentation of my disability.

We all know how consistent Royal Caribbean is at being inconsistent though :p;)

I am certainly not the expert in the field of disabilities and related matters. What did cross my mind though is whether RCCL would be breaking any HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) laws by requesting medical info on passengers? Just wondering... :confused:

Why do you think its such a slippery slope? Is there someone at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles who's qualified to determine if you're disabled enough to deserve the handicapped parking permit or not? Well, I guess by definition there is, because you ARE required to provide documentation of your legitimate need to get one.

Here in the state of Ga, our local tax commissioners (tag office) are now responsible for giving out handicap parking permits or tags. You use to have to get them at the DMV drivers license places but not anymore.

If someone such as myself (paraplegic, quadriplegic, amputee etc), with an obvious visible disability goes into the tag office they can get a permit pretty easily. If its not a "visible" disability, they have to provide a form with a Dr's signature. Seems kind of strage but thats how it works here.

I am certainly not the expert in the field of disabilities and related matters. What did cross my mind though is whether RCCL would be breaking any HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) laws by requesting medical info on passengers? Just wondering... :confused:

Again, no more than your state Department of Motor Vehicles would be breaking HIPAA law by requesting medical info to get your disabled parking permit and placard. You don't have to give them any info you don't want to, but the tradeoff is that they don't have to give you the permit - or the cabin.

You CAN NOT leave your scooter in the hall way. You must park it in your stateroom. Depending on how big a scooter she has, you can put in a reg room if needed. My husband has a small portable scooter that will fit in the doorway of a reg room. BUT now he prefers to take his big scooter and with that it will not go through a reg doorway, so we must do a handicap room.

It hurts us to know that people would think about booking a handicap (Larger) room just to have more space. We cant usually book years out for vacations and due to the scooter issue it limits us on all most every cruise as I have still never seen a last min deal for a handicap room. I WOULD LOVE to get a good deal on one :)

I have seen scooters left outside the cabin on most if not all of the cruises we've been on. On our recent Ruby Princess most were in the elevator/staircase public area. Same happen last year on our Voyager of the Seas cruise. On our two recent X Century cruises scooters were left in extra wide Plaza deck 5 hallway where the six accessible OV cabins were and elevator/staircase area on Sports deck 12 where there are two accessible Sky Suites.

I seen last minute accessible cabin deals like that accessible mini-suite we had on Ruby Princess last month for $70/day each. You don't see them often but there are some last minute deal for them.

Edited by robtulipe

Here in the state of Ga, our local tax commissioners (tag office) are now responsible for giving out handicap parking permits or tags. You use to have to get them at the DMV drivers license places but not anymore.

If someone such as myself (paraplegic, quadriplegic, amputee etc), with an obvious visible disability goes into the tag office they can get a permit pretty easily. If its not a "visible" disability, they have to provide a form with a Dr's signature. Seems kind of strage but thats how it works here.

I guess a bit strange, but they are apparently accepting "visual documentation." Although I guess it leaves a small loophole for those who are willing to go to sufficient lengths - showing up in a wheelchair and feigning paralysis.

I have seen scooters left outside the cabin on most if not all of the cruises we've been on. .

So have I on EVERY cruise so far. Again, another case where technically its not suppose to be allowed but they certainly dont enforce the rule.

When you have those PLUS the cabin attendant carts, it really makes it tough on us in wheelchairs to get through. :o

So have I on EVERY cruise so far. Again, another case where technically its not suppose to be allowed but they certainly dont enforce the rule.

When you have those PLUS the cabin attendant carts, it really makes it tough on us in wheelchairs to get through. :o

Hadn't thought about that aspect, to be honest. I wonder if the inconsiderate scooter users have stopped to think that the ones they're hurting the most are others who share mobility issues with them - likely to an even greater extent than they do?

What baffles me is why someone who doesn't need one would want one? Don't they NOT have couches and the bathrooms get flooded? When I book an inside room I sleep, shower or basically am not in the room. I get no joy spending time in the room; insides don't bother me because the amount of room is adequate for what I want to do. A larger room with no couch, a pole in the middle, and a bathroom with a perpetually wet floor doesn't even sound appealing to me. How is this appealing to able bodied people?

FTR, I think the cruise my brother was assigned a handicap room and then bumped was in 05 or 06, so maybe the policy on upfront requirements has changed; something I strongly agree with. That every reasonable action be taken by the cruise line to ensure guests with a mobility issue that really are the ones for who the space is needed should get them.

Hadn't thought about that aspect, to be honest. I wonder if the inconsiderate scooter users have stopped to think that the ones they're hurting the most are others who share mobility issues with them - likely to an even greater extent than they do?

I'll likely get flamed for this but many I've seen onboard cruise ships who use scooters need them because of their size as they wouldn't fit in a regular wheelchair and if they did it wouldn't it be easy for others to move them around. This likely prevents them from being able to walk any distance but I've seen some large people with scooters being mobile enough to get off of them by themselves and walk short distances. This is what I suspect is the case with the scooters parked away from the accessible cabins.

My BIL died from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) but kept himself at a proper weight throughout his lifetime particularly the many years he lived with this condition. He never used a scooter and would only would used a wheelchair if he had to go a great distance not in a vehicle.

Edited by robtulipe

How would RCI know if anyone actually needed it or not? I bet there are rules governing asking about or disclosing someone's medical information. I've never been asked anything about my physical status except whether or not I was sick right before embarking.

I see people with little lap dogs on ships and I was told they can never ask if they are truly service dogs or not. They are not allowed to ask for proof.

If someone books this room wouldn't they just have to assume that person needs the room?

That said, I also agree these should be left for people with real needs and not scooped up by people who just want a bigger room.

We got stuck in one once on a GTY booking. It was right under the buffet and we got woke up every day at 5:30a to the sound of rolling carts bumping over the door jams. The extra space was nice, but we are tall people and the sink was nearer the ground than us and the shower leaked all over the floor because there wasn't the same kind of water guard lip. Like everything else... there are pluses and minuses.

The worst thing was the feeling that someone else probably really needed the room. We didn't make the choice so we were not overwhelmed by that feeling, but we still would have been just as happy in another room.

Tom

When it comes to medical issues, the cruise line does have the right to ask you the nature of your medical issue requiring a H/C stateroom. Only ships that are registered in the U.S do not have that right.

I myself over the past 15 years have had to submit paperwork to the cruise line regarding why I needed a H/C stateroom. This was on RCI, NCL and Celebrity.

I'll likely get flamed for this but many I've seen onboard cruise ships who use scooters need them because of their size as they wouldn't fit in a regular wheelchair and if they did it wouldn't it be easy for others to move them around. This likely prevents them from being able to walk any distance but I've seen some large people with scooters being mobile enough to get off of them by themselves and walk short distances. This is what I suspect is the case with the scooters parked away from the accessible cabins.

My BIL died from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) but kept himself at a proper weight throughout his lifetime particularly the many years he lived with this condition. He never used a scooter and would only would used a wheelchair if he had to go a great distance not in a vehicle.

Your first sentence there was correct. My mother whom passed away from Multiple Sclerosis complications on Thanksgiving 2013 was a large woman. Had nothing at all to do with her diet, it was to do with all of the medications, especially the steroids she was on because of her disease. She enjoyed dozens of cruises because someone with very limited mobility, a cruise is a great vacation.

You really should be ashamed of yourself for making such a grandiose statement.

I hope that you never experience this sort of judgement.. the looks and whispers and thinly veiled snide remarks that are part of my daily life. You see, I am one of those "large people" who can stand/walk for up to two minutes on a good day. What most people don't realize when they are making their judgements about me, and others like me, and our lifestyle is that in a great number of instances we gain an excessive amount of weight BECAUSE of our health problems, and not vice versa. Many of us struggle every single day of our lives to fight that weight gain and be as healthy as we can. Until you roll a mile in my shoes you will never understand, so while you are thinking to yourself "My family member had health issues and didn't get fat" and judging everything on my plate when you see me at dinner, I am silently noticing your condescension and hoping that you never have to be on the receiving end of it. Normally I hear or read things like this and just let them go, but I am hoping that maybe in such a large forum I can get through to at least one person and get them to open their mind, just a crack. Wishing you all peace, love, health and happiness. M

Edited by HHFamily

Your first sentence there was correct. My mother whom passed away from Multiple Sclerosis complications on Thanksgiving 2013 was a large woman. Had nothing at all to do with her diet, it was to do with all of the medications, especially the steroids she was on because of her disease. She enjoyed dozens of cruises because someone with very limited mobility, a cruise is a great vacation.

You really should be ashamed of yourself for making such a grandiose statement.

My mother had severe rheumatoid arthritis since she was a young women and took all kinds of medication including steroids for over fifty years and never used a scooter and only used a wheelchair for the last few years of her life. I wouldn't call her small but she was not as obese as many I see on scooter which I feel is the main reason many are on these especially when I see them hop off with ease. My BIL, I mentioned above also took steroids which is one of the standard treatments for COPD.

I sure for some large people, as was the case for your mother, their condition and treatment is a factor.

I'm just calling it the way I see it with some scooter users I've notice onboard and am not ashamed of doing so.

Maybe it's a factor in their ploy to get an accessible cabin.:D

Edited by robtulipe

I didn't read judgement in his post. I agree that judging people for what they look like is unfair. That said, I'd bet that even though some people are overweight because of medical conditions that are out of their control, there are also a lot of people in the U.S. that are overweight for other reasons. I've heard a lot on the news, and even from our First Lady, concerning obesity being almost an epidemic in America. Not discounting medical issues, there are clearly some people in the U.S. who could eat less and move more. I'm not trying to judge them and I wouldn't treat them any differently than anyone else... but it is true.

So, even though the the other poster's opinion may have sounded judgmental (he even anticipated being flamed for it) it is not totally without merit. I didn't read into it that he was trying to judge people with medical conditions and I didn't read it as snide at all.

Quite the contrary.

Tom

I hope that you never experience this sort of judgement.. the looks and whispers and thinly veiled snide remarks that are part of my daily life. You see, I am one of those "large people" who can stand/walk for up to two minutes on a good day. What most people don't realize when they are making their judgements about me, and others like me, and our lifestyle is that in a great number of instances we gain an excessive amount of weight BECAUSE of our health problems, and not vice versa. Many of us struggle every single day of our lives to fight that weight gain and be as healthy as we can. Until you roll a mile in my shoes you will never understand, so while you are thinking to yourself "My family member had health issues and didn't get fat" and judging everything on my plate when you see me at dinner, I am silently noticing your condescension and hoping that you never have to be on the receiving end of it. Normally I hear or read things like this and just let them go, but I am hoping that maybe in such a large forum I can get through to at least one person and get them to open their mind, just a crack. Wishing you all peace, love, health and happiness. M

Like I stated in my reply above I'm sure many scooter users have very valid health issues and their size is as a result of these but IMO many cause their own health issues are due to their obesity or simply use a scooter for mobility because they are so large. It is a well known fact that obesity, especially among the young, is a major problem in North America. Last year we had friends DIL die of a heart attack shortly after her 28th birthday, leaving three young children with the oldest being six years of age and she didn't have congenital heart problems but she was obese, smoked and lead a sedimentary lifestyle.

Wishing you peace, love, health and happiness also.

Edited by robtulipe

I didn't read judgement in his post. I agree that judging people for what they look like is unfair. That said, I'd bet that even though some people are overweight because of medical conditions that are out of their control, there are also a lot of people in the U.S. that are overweight for other reasons. I've heard a lot on the news, and even from our First Lady, concerning obesity being almost an epidemic in America. Not discounting medical issues, there are clearly some people in the U.S. who could eat less and move more. I'm not trying to judge them and I wouldn't treat them any differently than anyone else... but it is true.

So, even though the the other poster's opinion may have sounded judgmental (he even anticipated being flamed for it) it is not totally without merit. I didn't read into it that he was trying to judge people with medical conditions and I didn't read it as snide at all.

Quite the contrary.

Tom

I'd like to believe that I am reading it wrong, but after reading his post following that one I am sticking with my initial reaction. That being said, you are absolutely right that many are over weight for other reasons, of course. Maybe I am just naive in thinking that most people wouldn't want to use a scooter or wheelchair unless they absolutely HAD to. I hope that's not the case.

I am absolutely unqualified to have any kind of opinion about who would or wouldn't want to use a scooter. I agree with you that it wouldn't make sense, especially on a cruise ship, to use one if you didn't need it since there is so much involved with dealing with it. I've read about elevator problems, trying to get by in the hallways, getting on and off the ship, etc. so what you say makes a great deal of sense. I think the best I can do is try to be courteous to anyone who needs additional help from one of these devices. I can still take the stairs. That may not always be true.

Tom

I'd like to believe that I am reading it wrong, but after reading his post following that one I am sticking with my initial reaction. That being said, you are absolutely right that many are over weight for other reasons, of course. Maybe I am just naive in thinking that most people wouldn't want to use a scooter or wheelchair unless they absolutely HAD to. I hope that's not the case.

Parking a scooter in a hallway is a hazard to everyone and a mobility impairment to other passengers with limited mobility. Just imagine trying to escape in poor visibility from a fire and having the exit hallway impeded by a scooter.

I have mixed opinions about scooters. I work in health care. It seems that a lot of folks who are deconditioned and obese want an electric scooter which just leads to more deconditioning and increased obesity. On the other hand, it seems many of the people who could really benefit from the scooters the most seem to be very stoic and put off getting a scooter and are needlessly isolated and homebound.

There are abusers of every system. There are chair hogs and scooter hogs. Similarly anyone can sign a form attesting to a disability, Though some may have voluntarily provided medical documentation, I don't see the cruise line taking the time to request, read and evaluate records for medical necessity.

About "service animals".....at my medical center we are not allowed to ask a patient what the disability is that a "service animal" provides assistance with. People can [and do]buy service dog clothing and ID patches on the internet and "certification" as well. Plus a service animal can do anything from "seeing eye" to seizure alerts, hearing assistance and emotional support.

I'm firmly in the camp of leaving the accessible cabins available to those who really need them.

I'm wondering if RCI could watch for a cabin near the mid-ship elevator to open up for us on the B2B. I would much rather have a regular cabin but the travel agents have booked up everything near the elevators.

Do you think RCI would alert me if one became available?