Dim Sum in San Fran

Off the Century in April, we have a couple of days in San Fran. Can someone suggest

a China town restaurant for Dim Sum for lunch. (I hope I spelled Dim Sum correctly)

Travel1

Depends on what kind of experience you want. If you want those rolling carts, Asia Garden on Pacific Ave (between Stockton St. and Grant Ave) will be your best bet. If you want really good dim sum (but no rolling carts, must order from a large checklist, recommended only for experienced dim sum diners), Lai Hong Lounge on Powell St. (between Broadway and Vallejo St.). Long waits for tables in both places! Very noisy in both places! Best bet is have a very late lunch, after 1pm for either place. Asia Garden will be the more colorful experience.

New Asia at 772 Pacific.

We've eaten there 3 times and always had a good meal.

It was recommended to us by a hotel concierge after we told him we wanted to be the only 'gringos' in the place.

Let them know if you want exotic, non'gringo' dim sum.

Only problem with the place is the bathrooms are upstairs, no idea if there is an elevator.

Just looked at the previous post and did a quick search. Seems that Asia Garden is now New Asia.

Edited by SadieN

Off the Century in April, we have a couple of days in San Fran. Can someone suggest

a China town restaurant for Dim Sum for lunch. (I hope I spelled Dim Sum correctly)

Travel1

You spelled dim sum correctly, but not San Francisco.;) Hope you have a great time in the city and a great cruise. Century is a lovely ship.:)

Travel1

The City is called San Francisco, never San Fran. :rolleyes:

As far as what to call America's favorite city, I call it "49 sq. mi. surrounded by reality."

For DimSum, Yank Sing is the SF Chronicle's top pick. But, it is not cheap. Other top rated though more affordable spots include Dol Hol, Good Luck Dim Sum, S&T Hong Kong Seafood, and Ton Kiang. Yelp them for a look at location and menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The owner of Asia Garden aka New Asia was indicted yesterday along with senator Leland Yee for knowingly buying and reselling stolen booze plus the place was filthy last time I was there. Try Great Easten on Jackson St. or Cityview just outside of Chinatown on Commercial Alley.

As far as what to call America's favorite city, I call it "49 sq. mi. surrounded by reality."

For DimSum, Yank Sing is the SF Chronicle's top pick. But, it is not cheap. Other top rated though more affordable spots include Dol Hol, Good Luck Dim Sum, S&T Hong Kong Seafood, and Ton Kiang. Yelp them for a look at location and menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

San Francisco is 46.9 square miles.

The owner of Asia Garden aka New Asia was indicted yesterday along with senator Leland Yee for knowingly buying and reselling stolen booze plus the place was filthy last time I was there. Try Great Easten on Jackson St. or Cityview just outside of Chinatown on Commercial Alley.

None really get great health ratings from the city--

https://101g-xnet.sfdph.org:4443/pls/eeop_htmldb/f?p=132:1:2470617759996512::NO:::

I think we will go to the dirty place that we haven't gotten sick at yet.;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't gone yet, I'd second Yank Sing as your best option off a cruise.

Chinatown doesn't have the best Chinese food or dim sum in San Francisco anymore, the best Chinese food is in the Richmond & Sunset Districts and the best dim sum is in Daly City at the Koi Palace.