MDR attire....

uilleann

Wow ... 4 evenings of wearing a tie is too much to make your wife happy :confused: Lucky gal, indeed :rolleyes:

I am actually a bit sympathetic as it's obviously uncomfortable and an issue for Uilleann. On the other hand our upcoming is an 18-day cruise, actually two 9-day cruises back-to-back, and we're a bit disappointed we'll only have two formal nights, one for each 9-day cruise. Hopefully when we get the final documents here in another couple weeks we'll know if it's actually two on each leg for a total of four. One place the line says one formal night per every cruise up to eight days and two formal nights on cruises ten nights or longer so we're kind of caught in the middle at nine nights. :confused: Out of the whole 18 days there are only six "resort" casual nights where no coat is required. I figure four of those are embarkation day night and the final night and one each somewhere along the line of the two legs. Love it! :D

Really, OP, you are doing what a lot of other men do on HAL, especially the shorter cruises, which is what you are sailing on.

Obviously your wife understands and accepts your idiosyncrasies, so you are very lucky. Have a great cruise, both of you!

Really, OP, you are doing what a lot of other men do on HAL, especially the shorter cruises, which is what you are sailing on.

Obviously your wife understands and accepts your idiosyncrasies, so you are very lucky. Have a great cruise, both of you!

I Totally agree with your second sentence.

First of all... it strikes me as rather presumptious for you to assume that others will be "disgusted by your attire" (as you put it), because, despite what you may think, NOBODY REALLY CARES what you wear! Really. Your wardrobe is simply not on anyone's radar. You have made up your mind. Wear what you want. Enjoy the MDR.

I am going by comments by other posters on similar threads. Lots of posters care a lot about what other people where. I think its a silly waste of energy have angst over what otherw wear or do not wear.

I am going by comments by other posters on similar threads. Lots of posters care a lot about what other people where. I think its a silly waste of energy have angst over what otherw wear or do not wear.

I wish I could be on this cruise with you. Then I could keep you company being the "other" guy who is dressed very nicely, but comfortably.

I am just not a suit and tie kind of guy. When I do HAVE to wear one, I can't wait til i can get out of it. But that doesn't mean I am always in jeans and a t shirt.

I have never really cared what people have thought of me , or what I wore . I am always respectful to people I meet, I can get along with practically anyone, but if me not wearing what someone deems appropriate, or what I do in my life is not up to another's persons standards , that is their problem.

I wish I could be on this cruise with you. Then I could keep you company being the "other" guy who is dressed very nicely, but comfortably.

I am just not a suit and tie kind of guy. When I do HAVE to wear one, I can't wait til i can get out of it. But that doesn't mean I am always in jeans and a t shirt.

I have never really cared what people have thought of me , or what I wore . I am always respectful to people I meet, I can get along with practically anyone, but if me not wearing what someone deems appropriate, or what I do in my life is not up to another's persons standards , that is their problem.

Ahmen!

I honestly don't know that there are really a lot of people who really care one way or the other. I also can't say it doesn't bother some people. Heck, and I won't say what section here, but I actually have seen one CC member who not only cares but even goes as far as to comment on whether or not the formal wear is the latest or even recent fashion. :eek::D Personally I've only taken issue one time, in the sense of noticing, but that's because I happen to be sitting next to a fellow at the Lido pool bar and he clearly told the fellow sitting with him that he was deliberately going to dress in a ridiculous fashion for the evening's formal night just to prove a point and show that he could do whatever he wanted. He did in fact somehow get into the MDR that night in black jeans, a black Harley t-shirt, and a baseball cap.

Edited by Randyk47

My husband wears these silky material dress shirts that have a small collar - can not wear a tie with. The collar reminds me of a priest style.

He wears these with a jacket, sometimes not, they look very "smart" casual.

Both of us are retired business management - he hasn't put on a suit in 10 years. But looks very handsom in his speical shirt and jacket.

Have fun!!!

CT

We don't spend precious vacation time critiquing what others are wearing on their cruise; if you feel more comfortable without wearing a suit, go for it.

The only time we were somewhat annoyed was on one Carnival cruise where on formal night a fellow at the next table arrived in a basketball jersey, matching shorts that were secured beneath his ample rear-end, and a blinged out baseball cap. We figured he must have thought the hat counted as a crown or something. On the other end of our table was a man wearing bib overalls (I can't even try to make this up) and a plaid shirt. When he saw us (DH in his tux and me in my sparkly finery) he said loudly "Well y'all sure put on the dog just for supper tonight, That's quite the penguin suit you stuffed yer man inta," Now, our annoyance wasn't that these people were dressed differently than we were, but with the fact that the dress code asked us to dress in formal wear, and the maître 'd didn't have the gumption to refuse entrance to those who refused to comply with the request.

If you don't feel like packing a suit, enjoy your cruise without.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I tend to dress at the lower yet still acceptable to all guidelines edge of the dinner dress code. What I don't understand is the need to announce what I will wear to the general public in advance of the cruise. Thanks for sharing.

only if you want to get people fired up....and make me thankful I'm single!!!

I am not a "dress up" type of person either....I am a very casual person. But I will dress up when required without complaint. I feel (JMHO) that if you don't want to follow the rules of attire in the dining room on a cruise ship, then you can choose the Lido or room service. If you don't like the rules of cruising at all, then you are free to choose another type of vacation. There are a whole cornucopia of vacation styles out there to choose from........so everyone will be able to select a vacation they would truly enjoy. For me, if I cruise, I just go with the flow and play "dress up" for a few days on the ship. No big deal.

Another question for the "I-Never-Want-To-Dress-Up-Again" crowd:

What do you do when you have to attend a wedding, funeral or other social event that requires a suit and tie? Do you decline the invitation, or do you just show up in jeans just because you reject more formal attire?

Don't mean this comment to insult anyone, but I think it is a real question.....

I am not a "dress up" type of person either....I am a very casual person. But I will dress up when required without complaint. I feel (JMHO) that if you don't want to follow the rules of attire in the dining room on a cruise ship, then you can choose the Lido or room service. If you don't like the rules of cruising at all, then you are free to choose another type of vacation. There are a whole cornucopia of vacation styles out there to choose from........so everyone will be able to select a vacation they would truly enjoy. For me, if I cruise, I just go with the flow and play "dress up" for a few days on the ship. No big deal.

What do you do when you have to attend a wedding, funeral or other social event that requires a suit and tie? Do you decline the invitation, or do you just show up in jeans just because you reject more formal attire?Don't mean this comment to insult anyone, but I think it is a real question.....

An interesting question, Irish.

Hope the fashion police are not on the NA for the TA crossing. I will be re-wearing lots of tops, etc., and my hubby will have a jacket, collared shirt and tie for the formal nights. We will both be appropriately covered for what's its worth.

One of the best cruises I've been on was a HAL jazz cruise. No formal dining at all.

What do you do when you have to attend a wedding, funeral or other social event that requires a suit and tie? Do you decline the invitation, or do you just show up in jeans just because you reject more formal attire?

Don't mean this comment to insult anyone, but I think it is a real question.....

Well I can only speak for myself .

Funerals.... If it is a death close enough to me where I have to attend the church and full service, and be a pall bearer and be in the "thank you for coming " reception line . Then yes I will wear a suit.

To just run into a wake or attend the church for a relative of a friend or co worker, I will wear a dress shirt , dockers and dress shoes.

Weddings I will also wear a suit if it calls for it , fortunately we are at that point in our lives where we are in a lull for weddings . Everyone our age is already married. The kids, nieces , nephews and kids of friends have a few more years to go.

Other social occasions.......We are casual people with casual friends . We go out to dinner at many different types of restaurants and entertain at home a lot and at the homes of friends. No occasion that a smart casual outfit wouldn't do just fine.

Good point but its not one evening its two a week for 2 weeks. 4 evenings!

Your job was worth it for years. If it really matters to your wife, I kinda think it's worth it for her for four times in a couple of weeks. A gift.

Trish

I have never been to a funeral that "requires" a suit and tie.

The sadly the lull in weddings we go to has been replaced by a lot of funerals and wakes :(

Many many times I see people dressed "smart casual" at both wakes and funerals. And they are not in the minority. Yes I see the jeans and t shirts too, which even I think isn't right.

Funerals are becoming more "celebrations of life" these days with the big bulletin boards full of pictures, releasing helium balloons at the cemetary , etc. A lot of people have gotten away from wearing black . (My grandmother wore it for my grandfather til she died 25 years later)

Times are changing

Went to my Mom's wake in a sports jacket but did the funeral in shorts, t shirt, and suspenders. It was a hot humid day and i have a rare disease, mastocytosis, where i cant take heat. My mom would have wanted me as comfortabe as I need to be! So i looked a bit out of place but did not have to pass out!

Times are changing

Indeed.

I read a thread recently over on the Ask a Cruise Question Board... subject was the future of dining on ships. The ship in question was the new Quantum of the Seas, a 4180 passenger ship. (A size I'd probably never sail, despite the features).

This ship, which apparently will launch in the fall, is dropping the MDR concept, and instead will have 18 dining establishments that will be a mix of free and fee. Interestingly, none of the venues seat more than 434 guests. There will be a reservation system. Most interestingly, and related to the this topic, there will be one complimentary restaurant that is formal every night.

This is an interesting concept, in that it provides a designated venue that is formal, every night... thus offering that option for those who wish to dress up and be among like-minded passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42207147&postcount=1