booksafe ncl or travelex? or combined

Haynecourt

Hi,

I just booked a May 2015 NCL to baltic - for family of 6, ages 78,76,51,46,21,13

issue: 1.preexisiting condition - hypertension for both seniors on medication

other issue: 2.my dad's schedule is still very flexible, vacation at the bottom of priorities from business so his trips can get cancelled for any reason any time

3.from philippines (3), canadian (2) american (1) but all residents of philippines - fr philippines limited insurance choices

4. we need primary medical coverage

I usually purchase from travelex... but this time, we booked a suite and its pricier than usual.

If I book travelex =cruise plus air cost for 6 -insurance premium less than USD 1100 but 500k medical evacuation, 50K medical coverage, no cancel for any reason. Pay upon purchase preferably within 21 days from trip deposit.

booksafe offer for the suite: USD 1000 for all 6, with 75% cruise credit cancel for any reason, low medical, low medical evac - can this be paid at the same time as final payment? so I wont have any money out at the moment for insurance?

when I buy air tickets say Nov 2014, I can then purchase from travelsafe, and be covered for 50K medical, 500k medical evacuation, and just pay my premium at that time, cost of air ticket insurance in the USD 500 range.

please advice which is the better option to do:

1. booksafe at usd 1000 payable feb 2015 plus travelex for air payable nov 2014

2. travelex air and cruise now at usd 1100

3. travelex cruise cost now at usd less than 600 and use credit card to pay for air tickets to get cc travel insurance coverage?

Hope to get your thoughts on this... this is the priciest vacation ive ever organized and I need to be prudent. thanks

Suggest you speak with the folks at TripInsuranceStore.com

They'll be able to help you figure out just what your trip and medical coverage needs are, and then help you find the best priced policy that works for you.

They can offer policies from quite a few different insurers (and there is no extra cost to you for this - same cost as if you purchased directly from the insurer).

We have a similar problem with DH possibly needing to take a "command performance" consulting project on very short notice. So we get the CFAR additional coverage. When he is working less (if this ever comes to pass, and he's happier working although maybe not *quite* so much!), we'll stop getting the CFAR coverage.

But it is the medical coverage that we REALLY need, and it must include "pre-existing conditions".

GeezerCouple

It is wise to consider all your insurance options, both individual packages and coverage that comes with credit cards.

Many people on this board us insuremytrip.com .

They have a very robust website where you can compare various polices based on the parameters you are looking for. Their customer service folks are very helpful.

I would give them a try. They should be able to give you some recommendations which will suit your situation.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for your help above, I did write insuremytrip and they told me that they couldnt help me as we are all non us residents.

I think based on my dad's fluidity and age of both parents, Ill take nlc's booksafe 90% as it covers some medical and evacuation and 90% of the cruise cost, which I cant afford to lose.

When I get our air tickets , I can get them thru amex that has insurance.

Then cover non refundable apartment payment thru travelex.

Hope nothing goes wrong, having 3 insurances to cover us.

When we most recently asked Amex Travel Service about their travel insurance, we were told it was no longer available. Apparently they are/were (?) trying to renegotiate the contract with an insurer.

I'm not sure what the status is at this point.

(We probably weren't going to use it, but I did want to double check what coverage was available, and what the cost would be.)

But please double check with Amex as to whether there really is coverage, before you "pass" on some other insurance possibility.

GeezerCouple

thanks geezer couple for your comment on amex, when i checked with amex, their medical was only a little over USD 1000, thats so useless... so I decided to buy coverage from travelex for my anticipated non refundables.

still I will get booksafe as that covers 90% in cruise credit... better safer than sorry.

Edited by Haynecourt