Traditional Dining Gone - Very Disappointed

What kind of cruise dining do you prefer?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of cruise dining do you prefer?

• I enjoy "Traditional" dining - set time, same waitstaff
    • I enjoy "My Time" dining - likely different waitstaff, I pick the time

This is going to turn into another "Beating a Dead Horse" thread. Just like formal attire, tipping, etc.

"I am disappointed, I don't like this, I hate change, I love traditional, This ruins cruising for me"

It's the 21st century. Companies have to evolve. There are gobs of other RCCL ships that have traditional dining. Sail on those.

To all of those that are saying "Oh no, we won't be able to dine with anybody anymore"..You meet people outside of the MDR. One phone call, Iphone App, or trip to the service desk and you have made a Ressy with your new friends. Voila.

That being said, Bravo Royal. Just another reason why you are a leader in the cruise industry. Something for EVERYBODY!

You can't do this because then you'd be stuck with the same exact menu each night. Although we dislike Freestyle Dining on NCL, at least you can have the same staff while being able to have a different menu. Now it's difficult to do this given the permanency of the menu per restaurant. So this is worse than NCL, and we stopped cruising NCL because of the Freestyle and traditional dining and great entertainment was one of many reasons we've stuck with RCCL.
I see your point and didn't consider the same menu angle. I suppose eating at the same place with the same staff have never been that important to me. Which is probably why this change isn't that big of a deal to me. I think if I saw 2 or 3 items I like on one of the menus, I suppose I would pick that place and eat there 4 or 5 nights during a 7-night cruise. And if we were lucky enough to like our wait staff on the first night, I would make arrangements to have them serve us for the remainder of our visits to that restaurant. On the other nights, it might be fun to try a couple of the other venues or just grab a pizza or hamburger at JR's. Best of luck.:) Edited by The Grumpus

How can we vote when there are only two wildly biased choices? On my last cruise I loved MTD AND our wait staff that we requested and got most nights. We also met very nice people in MTD and dined with them. I liked that. I would say it was the best mix of MTD and traditional (arrive when we wanted or discussed with our new friends, same staff, great service, never made a reservation, NO wait)

It's the 21st century. Companies have to evolve. There are gobs of other RCCL ships that have traditional dining. Sail on those.

To all of those that are saying "Oh no, we won't be able to dine with anybody anymore"..You meet people outside of the MDR. One phone call, Iphone App, or trip to the service desk and you have made a Ressy with your new friends. Voila.

Actually no, you don't really meet anyone outside of the MDR. In the MDR, you spend hours getting to know folks. Outside of that, you get minutes. You see the same person for a few minutes before trivia starts, before a show starts, etc. And it's completely hit and miss. You might talk to someone on day 2, then a little more on day 5, and think "gee, we should have been having dinner all week had we known how much we liked each other".

As for making reservations on the fly mid-cruise, I fully expect this:

"Hi, I'd like a ressie for 4 for free dining spot 1 at 7:00pm"

- "I'm sorry, that's not available. We can do two at 8:45pm, and two of you at 5:30pm if you'd like?"

"How about free number 2?"

- Not available either.

"3? 4?"

- Nope. But our pay restaurants have space...

The free restaurants are going to be booked solid months in advance.

As for evolving, there's also the old saw "don't fix what ain't broke". So no, I don't think RCCL needs to evolve in this manner. Traditional dining is far more popular than freestyle dining (I'd love to know what the exact percentages are). RCCL has always been the industry leader, with companies like NCL picking up their stragglers by offering freestyle. Leaders don't copy the losers.

The five restaurants would have great, if they'd also have offered the option to have your wait staff and table mates move with you from venue to venue each night.

I am sure there are many people who are excited about this Dynamic Dining and all the options being made available. One of the biggest complaints from experience cruisers has been the deterioration of food in the MDR and dress code on Formal nights. Since eating is one of the traditional reasons folks have cruised I can see why RCI is attempting to upgrade the experience.

But are there really as many options available as suggested? If I understand this correctly the Coastal Kitchen is for suites guest only. Also Grande is considered a formal night dining experience. The other three American Icon Grille, Silk and Chic have one menu for the entire cruise. I am still trying to find a link to the menus to see how many choices are available in these venues.

I am going to have to sail a Quantum class ship at least once to know how I really like Dynamic Dining.

I agree with you!

...but today is the day after the "big" reveal (that wasn't anything new at the end) so it's the time to see the positive things about it.

I love the MDR fixed seating concept, but I do also love having several choices of speciality restaurants and on the Quantum class there will be more than ever. The menus also looks very tempting and interesting.

I am sure there are many people who are excited about this Dynamic Dining and all the options being made available. One of the biggest complaints from experience cruisers has been the deterioration of food in the MDR and dress code on Formal nights. Since eating is one of the traditional reasons folks have cruised I can see why RCI is attempting to upgrade the experience.

But are there really as many options available as suggested? If I understand this correctly the Coastal Kitchen is for suites guest only. Also Grande is considered a formal night dining experience. The other three American Icon Grille, Silk and Chic have one menu for the entire cruise. I am still trying to find a link to the menus to see how many choices are available in these venues.

I am going to have to sail a Quantum class ship at least once to know how I really like Dynamic Dining.

According to my math you get 32 entrees to pick from regardless of your cruise length (2 nights or 14 nights). By comparison the full set of 14 menus offers 89 entrees for those on the long voyages such as a Transatlantic (something Anthem will be doing) and for the more typical 7 night sailings it's still 47 entrees to pick from. If you pay it seems you will get more variety but not included for all.

According to my math you get 32 entrees to pick from regardless of your cruise length (2 nights or 14 nights). By comparison the full set of 14 menus offers 89 entrees for those on the long voyages such as a Transatlantic (something Anthem will be doing) and for the more typical 7 night sailings it's still 47 entrees to pick from. If you pay it seems you will get more variety but not included for all.

Just like I stated earlier. RCI is able to offer us more diverse and eclectic, up to date offerings without making everything for a charge (specialty-lite) by reducing the permutations of food; simplifying ordering and reducing costs on their end.

The old menus were getting boring. Banquet food swimming in gravies and creams were getting boring! Now we have (at least) 4 distinct choices included in our fare. You want lobster EVERY night at no extra charge and NO dressing up? You can have that. You want an indian curry but still want table service and not to go to the Windjammer to get it? You can have that. You want a formal experience EVERY single night of the cruise? You can have that. Like a new restaurant and want to sample more off the menu on another night? You can have that because the menu isn't going to change. Less choices, simpler, offered for a longer duration of time. Seems like they are offering what the market wants.

Some things won't be perfect. I am optimistic. I look forward to it. I had not even considered Quantum or Anthem before because I like "cruise ships" and a connection to the sea; which is being regulated and designed away. But these dining concepts have me enthused. For years whenever I get on an RCI ship I knew I was getting the same old grandma and grandpa food; old style wedding food covered in cream, butter, and gravy. It was always good but I never eat like that at home. These new menus are a MASSIVE upgrade and more closely reflect how many people dine these days.

I eagerly await the Anthem fall/winter 2015 itineraries now. I am willing to look past aspects of the ship that don't appeal to me (theme park at sea) in order to try a totally new dining experience.

Just like I stated earlier. RCI is able to offer us more diverse and eclectic, up to date offerings without making everything for a charge (specialty-lite) by reducing the permutations of food; simplifying ordering and reducing costs on their end.

The old menus were getting boring. Banquet food swimming in gravies and creams were getting boring! Now we have (at least) 4 distinct choices included in our fare. You want lobster EVERY night at no extra charge and NO dressing up? You can have that. You want an indian curry but still want table service and not to go to the Windjammer to get it? You can have that. You want a formal experience EVERY single night of the cruise? You can have that. Like a new restaurant and want to sample more off the menu on another night? You can have that because the menu isn't going to change. Less choices, simpler, offered for a longer duration of time. Seems like they are offering what the market wants.

Some things won't be perfect. I am optimistic. I look forward to it. I had not even considered Quantum or Anthem before because I like "cruise ships" and a connection to the sea; which is being regulated and designed away. But these dining concepts have me enthused. For years whenever I get on an RCI ship I knew I was getting the same old grandma and grandpa food; old style wedding food covered in cream, butter, and gravy. It was always good but I never eat like that at home. These new menus are a MASSIVE upgrade and more closely reflect how many people dine these days.

I eagerly await the Anthem fall/winter 2015 itineraries now. I am willing to look past aspects of the ship that don't appeal to me (theme park at sea) in order to try a totally new dining experience.

Have you tried the new menus? They are incredible! I love the new food. We got to experience a hybrid on the Independence transatlantic in 2012 and had the full menu on both of our Grandeur sailings in the past year. It is a major upgrade in terms of selection, appearance, and taste. Easily better than what most of the restaurants around here offer.

What people seem to be missing here is that the new system does not translate to what is done on land at all. I like Olive Garden (just as an example since most know the name, substitute what ever restaurant you want here). They have a huge menu with tons of choices and rotating specials every month. Yet I am lucky if I go once every 4 months. With this new system this fall I am going to be given a menu with just 8 items (majority I do not like as should be expected, it should cater to all tastes not just mine. Though the new menu seems far worse on variety than the current.) and am being told to come back 5 times in less than 3 weeks. That certainly does not sound like an upgrade to me.

Edited by DEIx15x8

It seems that there are three dining rooms which are complimentary at dinner to all. Each seems to have a fixed menu, so on a 14 night cruise on Anthem, I shall be stuck with the same menu over and over again! I am deeply unimpressed!

Have you tried the new menus?

I have been onboard 19 nights in just the past 4 months; I have had ample opportunity to sample the new menus I believe. Is it good? Yes. I would agree with that. But it is still mostly old style grandma and grandpa food dressed up with creams, gravies, and butter for flavor since the "base" product is old-style and must be prepared en masse. When I dine out I look for a variety of tastes, spices, aromatics, and ethnic foods. Then again I live in an area that is brimming with local restaurants. You have to drive past a dozen unique and delicious places to find a chain place.

P.S. - Your Grandeur blowout review has been a strong influence on a friend of mine to consider a honeymoon on that ship; top notch job on that.

we had to prepay as well when i boked but actually i believe prepaying is better, that way money that u have on the cruise is just for that the EXTRA fun that you do or decide not to do...

My issue with prepaying vs having it put on your onboard account is that I like to use my onboard credit to pay for the gratuities. I can't do this if I am forced to pay in advance.

It seems that there are three dining rooms which are complimentary at dinner to all. Each seems to have a fixed menu, so on a 14 night cruise on Anthem, I shall be stuck with the same menu over and over again! I am deeply unimpressed!

5 sit downs are complimentary. Imagine your cruise is $100 more expensive than you paid and you'll have more choices. Otherwise, other ships, other cruise lines.

5 sit downs are complimentary. Imagine your cruise is $100 more expensive than you paid and you'll have more choices. Otherwise, other ships, other cruise lines.

Not really. 5 sit downs are complimentary if you're sailing in a suite. Otherwise 4 are complimentary.

If they implement it like Blu on X (no reservations, everything is first-come, first-served) that would be better than if they take reservations. I don't want to have to pick where & when I'm eating every night of my cruise long before I even get on the ship. My upcoming cruise I'm only planning 1 speciality restaurant for dinner, and 1 for lunch. Everything else will be MDR or one of the other free venues, depending on how I feel on any given day.

...P.S. - Your Grandeur blowout review has been a strong influence on a friend of mine to consider a honeymoon on that ship; top notch job on that.

Thanks. Great to see it's helping people make decisions. She is a great ship that I think many overlook (including me) because of the size.

Not seeing this as a plus or an improvement.

If I wanted freestyle dining I would book with NCL at a lower price.:(

Glad we decided not to book Quantum for 12/2014 and this is before we even heard of dynamic dining, etc. Over and over again, all we heard about was the bumper cars. Could not justify the higher cabin pricing.

We take more than one cruise per year and now that I am at diamond level, RCL goes in this direction with reservations for dining and shows, I think not.

I liked having the same wait staff, same table, fixed dining time and sharing the time with newly met tablemates.

And 2 formal nights. For all those who didn't want to dress up, now you can forego it entirely and be happy. Unfortuantely to give you this, MDR eating has taken a fatal blow.

Some of the dining options are not at all appealing.

We hated the freestyle dining and going late to the shows due to the amount of time it took to be served.

RCL wants reservations for dining and shows. And is really counting on passengers rotating to different restaurants.

More care should have been given to creating menus for those who have dietary restrictions (low salt, gluten free, diabetic, etc.) and for those who do not like hot spicy food.

Larger (ships) isn't always better.

MARAPRINCE

If we wanted freestyle dining where we pick a different restaurant each night with a new waiter or waitress, we would cruise Norwegian.

Yes and if you choose to cruise on Norwegian Breakaway or Getaway they have the lovely 'Waterfront' feature. Quantum would seem to be a very 'internal ship'.

The problem with having 18 dining options, this leaves NO SPACE for the big "Wow" spaces that we have come to know and love on other RCI ships.

All of Quantum's innovations (I'm excluding 'Dynamic') are aimed at families, not grown-ups, and are located on deck to release internal space for dining options.

Two70 would have made a great main dining room!:(

Not really. 5 sit downs are complimentary if you're sailing in a suite. Otherwise 4 are complimentary.

If they implement it like Blu on X (no reservations, everything is first-come, first-served) that would be better than if they take reservations. I don't want to have to pick where & when I'm eating every night of my cruise long before I even get on the ship. My upcoming cruise I'm only planning 1 speciality restaurant for dinner, and 1 for lunch. Everything else will be MDR or one of the other free venues, depending on how I feel on any given day.

You'll be able to make reservations on the fly via your smart phone and their new tool/app. I also remember them saying reservations are t necessary , just recommended.

Someone said this gives us more options, not true. Before you had the option of “MyTime” or traditional now it’s only “MyTime”.

I tried NCL Freestyle and did not like it. Service was the worse of any cruise I had ever had.

When I mentioned it another cruiser they said it’s because of freestyle. No incentive to give good service since they do not get rated. You usually do not have the same waiter or table so it’s an overall evaluation. BTW, they e-mail you an evaluation survey which the majority ignores.

Currently under RCCL waiters switch from “MyTime” to traditional each sailing so they do get rated sooner or later.

Received this link from my travel agent.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/?ecid=em_4663697&rid=569653512&emsc=&empf=&emct=DIAMOND%20PLUS&lnkid=QUANTUM_LEARNMORE

You'll be able to make reservations on the fly via your smart phone and their new tool/app. I also remember them saying reservations are t necessary , just recommended.

Right - but you still should make a reservation. If I come back from port with some new friends and we decide we want to eat at the American Icon, and need a table for 8 at 7pm, well, it only seats 400, and 300 of the seats at 7pm were already reserved months in advance - even if the people who reserved those seats decide to go somewhere else that night. There may be a table available at 5:30 or at 10, even if the restaurant is empty, because they're holding tables for people who had reservations then went to Sorrentos or Windjammer because they just didn't feel like dealing with it.

Sure, eventually they will release those tables for a walk-in, but if I have a group and don't have a reservation, I can't count on that. If they don't take reservations, I may have to wait 20-30 minutes, but I'll get in with my group as they get tables freed up.

If they do NO reservations, and only take walk-ins, then it's more likely that people will get something they're interested in.

The other side of that is quality - what if it turns out that a restaurant like American Icon is WAY more popular than Silk, and Silk is only 25-30% utilized while people are begging to get into American Icon? Wasted space and wasted menus.

Edited by Jobeth66

I didn't vote, as we do prefer Traditional dining, but this new concept seems like fun and a great change of pace. If we want traditional, we will cruise Celebrity! Oceania and Azamara have open seating and it's fine.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Or the other 20 RCCL ships that offer traditional dining. I like your thought process.

Everyone is panicking because 1 class of ship is doing dining differently. Variety and change are good people! They aren't forcing you to book Quantum class.

I'm looking forward to the "I actually liked dynamic dining" threads popping up she she sails in 7 months