Traditional Dining Gone - Very Disappointed

What kind of cruise dining do you prefer?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of cruise dining do you prefer?

• I enjoy "Traditional" dining - set time, same waitstaff
    • I enjoy "My Time" dining - likely different waitstaff, I pick the time

Another factor is the limited menus in each of the restaurants. I am booked on the Quantum and will be traveling with 2 other couples. We all have different tastes in food.

Will there be an always available chicken, steak or salmon on the menu in each of the restaurants every night?

Some of my friends might like the Asian cuisine, I don't.

Some of my friends might like the menu in Wonderland, others may not.

I can't imagine eating in the American Icon Grill night after night. The menu is very limited.

So, how does a group of friends eat together at the different restaurants, if we are forced to eat from that restaurant's menu without the "always available" selections we are used to in the MDR?

Or, does RC want us all to go to the buffet where choices are numerous???

Edited by ecslady

Another factor is the limited menus in each of the restaurants. I am booked on the Quantum and will be traveling with 2 other couples. We all have different tastes in food.

Will there be an always available chicken, steak or salmon on the menu in each of the restaurants every night?

I can't imagine eating in the American Icon Grill night after night. The menu is very limited.

So, how does a group of friends eat together at the different restaurants, if we are forced to eat from that restaurant's menu without the "always available" selections we are used to in the MDR?

This is the problem I have. I'm going with a group of people and the tastes are very varied. I'm basically the odd man out (I'm the only one who really wants to eat in Wonderland).

We also love cruising because we don't have to think about or plan anything. There are 12 of us and now we have to figure out dinner reservations 7 nights in a row? yikes !

Edited by silver7

To the OP who made the Poll on this thread. It really should give 3 choices:

Traditional Dining

My Time Dining (as we know it now, which is still in the MDR)

New Dynamic Dining (no more MDR, but a variety of cuisine oriented restaurants)

Part of my concern is dietary restrictions & allergies. I'm allergic to shellfish, and am on a low oxalate diet due to kidney issues. That limits my choices already. Right now, I can always count on being able to get a caesar salad (I can eat Romaine & iceberg lettuce, but can't have spinach, kale, spring mix, etc.) in the MDR. Some of the restaurant's offerings are very shellfish heavy, which I simply can't do. Soy is completely out of the question, as are nuts in any form and most beans (including cocoa beans & the wonderful byproduc thereof. Sniff.) So are beets. Looking over the menus, this gives me some really limited options, and even with the mains, the sides that come with them are often on my 'can't have' list.

Wonderland sounds fantastic, but there's very little on the menu I can safely eat, so that would be a non-starter.

I do want to try the ship out, especially since the port is so close to me, but I have to seriously think it through. I don't mind the buffet, though, there's always something there I can eat. :)

For me this is welcoming news. They've picked up on the successful NCL model which I enjoy. It's just like at a nice resort with multiple choices and you get a much varied choice of dishes. Also they tend to be smaller venues so not the loud bustle and mad rush of a main dining room at seating time.

I've just booked a mini cruise on Anthem to see how it compares.

Everyone is panicking because 1 class of ship is doing dining differently. Variety and change are good people! They aren't forcing you to book Quantum class.

In the Google Hangout, Adam made it pretty clear that although there are no short term plans for it, the long term vision is to have all ships using dynamic dining.

So how do you handle a restaurant on land with a group of friends? Not go?

A MDR menu typically has 5 apps and 5 entrees…it seem to me that there are 7-10 choices now for each. AG also mentioned there would be a set of standards available in all of the comp dining rooms.

In the Google Hangout, Adam made it pretty clear that although there are no short term plans for it, the long term vision is to have all ships using dynamic dining.

I can see this happening for the new ships coming to the fleet, but it really can't be brought onto the ships that were built with huge MDR's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So how do you handle a restaurant on land with a group of friends? Not go?

A MDR menu typically has 5 apps and 5 entrees…it seem to me that there are 7-10 choices now for each. AG also mentioned there would be a set of standards available in all of the comp dining rooms.

Exactly. I'm not a fan of oriental but went with a group of cruise friends to a Teppanyaki on a NCL ship and actually enjoyed the Shogun. Next night was my choice and we did the steakhouse complete with Oreo cheesecake. A group on our table had two kids and they ordered something from the nearby fast food venue.

Compared to the large 3-tier main restaurants I found the multi venues more intimate and didn't need to shout to be heard. Plus you get to meet so many more fellow people. An option now if say you get on well with a couple you meet on a shore excursion to arrange dinner together etc..

That was my concern as well and I'm so happy that when I asked Adam he said that there will still be a selection of standard items like pasta and chicken available in every restaurant. When I looked at the menus I could instantly spot the menu I saw nothing on and one that my mom wouldn't like, so this will certainly help.

Edited by DEIx15x8

IMHO dynamic dining is being aimed at the younger, fewer cruises taken group, as RCL is doing with so many of their changes. The marketing folks, as Goldstein himself just said, feel that market segment perceives cruising as too regimented, too stuffy, not their thing. It also assumes that these cruisers will be constantly online while on the ship (at a nice fee), so having apps they can use to make reservations is good for them.

So this change does away with formal nights, which even some older folks will like, but also with the "dining experience" that us older traditionalists preferred, a set time to dine, dress up in something other than shorts & flip flops, sit down at a nicely set table and have waiters bring food in a sequence. Meet new people. Or if that was too rigid, move over to My Time and meet different people each night, or dine alone.

For the Quantum, in order to be sure and have a table available (as has been shown on the Oasis class My Time) you need advance reservations. Yes you can just walk up, or use the smart phone app, but you will probably have a long wait. So I now have to decide on which of the "complimentary" restaurants I want to reserve, and yes Goldstein said there would still be the classic standard choices on the menu so groups of friends can probably find something to eat (I'm known for making my own meals from the menu options).

I have a reservation for the Quantum, and I hate to cancel it because it was made before the ridiculous double pricing for solos, but I am thinking this style of dining will reduce my cruise experience. Add to that the need to prebook the shows, and it seems I will either have to lock dining and entertainment in way ahead of time, or be stressed wondering if I will be able to get into a dining room or show as a walk up. If I can't then what am I paying for???

That was my concern as well and I'm so happy that when I asked Adam he said that there will still be a selection of standard items like pasta and chicken available in every restaurant. When I looked at the menus I could instantly spot the menu I saw nothing on and one that my mom wouldn't like, so this will certainly help.

Where did you find the information about the standard items available in every restaurant? I can't find it anywhere. Do you have a link to his statement?

Recently, saw pictures posted on CC of a galley tour. Showed a posted sign with numbers listed for early, late, and MTD dining. The numbers told the story as the amount listed for MTD. The numbers showed as many for the late and early seatings combined as MTD.

RCCL is seeing the trend for diners wanting more flexibility. Rather than seating everyone into a portion of a dining room, the numbers can be spread around. I cannot imagine they won't have some offerings available for walk up as they do now for MTD. From the Vision class to the Oasis class, there is a "reservations" line and a "no reservations" line.

Guess the Quantum class won't be for everyone. I would think RCCL's ships across the fleet won't be going to this model soon. They've invested in the revitalization of their ships and kept the current MDR model in place. Maybe on the next go round of revitalization if the Quantum model goes well. ;)

Will be so interesting to see the reviews once Quantum has set sail. It will be an interesting read!

IMHO dynamic dining is being aimed at the younger, fewer cruises taken group, as RCL is doing with so many of their changes. The marketing folks, as Goldstein himself just said, feel that market segment perceives cruising as too regimented, too stuffy, not their thing. It also assumes that these cruisers will be constantly online while on the ship (at a nice fee), so having apps they can use to make reservations is good for them.

So this change does away with formal nights, which even some older folks will like, but also with the "dining experience" that us older traditionalists preferred, a set time to dine, dress up in something other than shorts & flip flops, sit down at a nicely set table and have waiters bring food in a sequence. Meet new people. Or if that was too rigid, move over to My Time and meet different people each night, or dine alone.

For the Quantum, in order to be sure and have a table available (as has been shown on the Oasis class My Time) you need advance reservations. Yes you can just walk up, or use the smart phone app, but you will probably have a long wait. So I now have to decide on which of the "complimentary" restaurants I want to reserve, and yes Goldstein said there would still be the classic standard choices on the menu so groups of friends can probably find something to eat (I'm known for making my own meals from the menu options).

I have a reservation for the Quantum, and I hate to cancel it because it was made before the ridiculous double pricing for solos, but I am thinking this style of dining will reduce my cruise experience. Add to that the need to prebook the shows, and it seems I will either have to lock dining and entertainment in way ahead of time, or be stressed wondering if I will be able to get into a dining room or show as a walk up. If I can't then what am I paying for???

Very well said...my feelings exactly...too much advance planning needed for my stress free vacation!

Speaking from experience onboard NCL ships who have been running this type of dining for several years it's not as bad as people believe.

Not sure if RCCL will follow but on NCL they have:

Screens and a TV channel dedicated to showing how booked a venue is at certain times in a traffic light system. If you are at a bar you can see at a glance the state of a restaurant.

You can pre-reserve online, on boarding at restaurant desk, via interactive stateroom TV, touch screens around the ship or as I do via the app (the wifi to use this is free btw). Or simply walk up.

Like busy restaurants on land. If you do walk up and it's full we get given a pager to let us know when table is ready and a voucher for a free glass of cheap bubbly whilst we wait.

Most venues tend to have a bar right outside or nearby so your never too far when the pager goes.

Questions and answers from RCCL

Question: Will menu change daily in the complimentary dining?

Answer: Each restaurant has its own distinctive menu and ambiance that remains consistent throughout the sailing. However, guests can certainly experience different selections off the menu each night.

Question: On cruise critic menu's were posted and comments were they are limited. When 2 or 3 couble travel together their is problem when everyone has different taste. Will their be alternate items like, chicken, steak, fish each day???j

Answer: Yes, standard staple menu items will be available throughout the various restaurants.

Question: How does Dynamic Dining effect groups who would like to dine together every night?

Answer: We are happy to accommodate large groups. The largest group we can accommodate in one restaurant is approximately 434 guests.

The main difference between NCL's freestyle dining and RCCL's attempt at it is that NCL started with their smaller ships and refined and refined it to the point where it is at today. Took several years to accomplish. On the other hand, RCCL is starting with the larger ships (4,000 +) without a trial run.

I ended up canceling my reservation on the 12/1 sailing due to the high price and next to no information other than bumper cars coming out. Now, in hindsight, I am glad I did. Not a fan of making reservations for dinner and reservations for shows. Maybe once during a sailing, I would try a different restaurant, but the way the e-mail announcement came out yesterday for every question it seemed to be the standard response was to suggest that passengers rotate from restaurant to restaurant.

When you sail with others who have very different tastes and all of these restaurant choices are very geared to a particular type of food, it is going to be hard to pre reserve. Also, unless you do you will be spending a lot of wasted time waiting for service. Most will probably end up at the buffet rather than wait. If you want to see the shows, you best option without a reservation may end up being the buffet.

MARAPRINCE

At least I can say I achieved and sailed as a diamond level before RCCL went and decided to copy NCL.

For me this is welcoming news. They've picked up on the successful NCL model which I enjoy. It's just like at a nice resort with multiple choices and you get a much varied choice of dishes. Also they tend to be smaller venues so not the loud bustle and mad rush of a main dining room at seating time.

I've just booked a mini cruise on Anthem to see how it compares.

I am sorry "Single Cruiser" but NCL model is NOT successful. Maybe that is why J.D. Power rated them below standard

My husband and I were almost set to book the Quantum for our next cruise in 2015. But we will now wait to see what this all shakes out as.

Quatuan is based out of NJ and was a good option for us as we did not have to pay airfare. The prices are higher, the dining is different.....

I have cruised NCL and did not care for the free style dining experience At ALL. It is one of the reasons I haven't gone back.

We agree with many comments on this thread about "stress free" cruising, not having to make reservations for restaurants and shows. If we need to do that, we can do that at home ! Having to decide before we leave where we want to dine each night.....doesn't sound fun to me.

We love having the same wait staff each night, love having our drinks available when we arrive, or our assistant waiter know we like a certain wine for dinner or what our favorite roll is LOL.

I received a reply from RCCL when I commented to this on Facebook - simply saying you can still do this, if you book in the same restaurant each night. UGH.

There is something to be said about a formal night....a chance to dress nicely and enjoy and evening out, without much thought. So you dress up and change after dinner !! Formal nights are nothing like they used to be, you can simply where a nice dress and husband in a nice suite...

In addition --- I just can't seem to get the math to work, with 4,000 guests, it just doesn't seem to fit. Only 4 complimentary restaurants....ODD.

Oh well....guess we'll sit back and rethink our options for next year.

Honestly I can't for the life of me understand the dislike for this move. Its the way it should be. In want to go to dinner when I want, where I want, dress the way I want and no offense to anyone here but I want to sit with who I want. Why not give the customer all the choice instead of being locked into choices already made for you. I love this new way of dining, and it sure makes me want to sail on Quantum even more now if that's even possible. Look at all the choice you have now, what is not to like?

Edited by JAMESCC

Honestly I can't for the life of me understand the dislike for this move. Its the way it should be. In want to go to dinner when I want, where I want, dress the way I want and no offense to anyone here but I want to sit with who I want. Why not give the customer all the choice instead of being locked into choices already made for you. I love this new way of dining, and it sure makes me want to sail on Quantum even more now if that's even possible. Look at all the choice you have now, what is not to like?

The problem for me is we are being encouraged to make reservations 6 months in advance, which is the complete opposite of just doing what you want on any given day. I love having a lot of options, but having to think about and plan my dinner times and also predict what I'll be in the mood for months in advance? Not for me.

I am traveling with 14 people, all with varied tastes. One of the reasons our group loves cruising together (vs a traditional vacation) is that we don't have to figure out dinner plans every night. Now not only do we have to figure out dinner plans, we are being encouraged to do so before we even board the ship.

If this works out to where dining can truly be flexible - where you can decide that day where you want to eat and not have to wait forever or worry about being closed out - then I'll enjoy his system much more.

People aren't complaining about the options I don't think. They (and I) are upset about the loss of the personal service you would get when you have the same waitstaff for the week and the fact you have to make reservations months in advance. The traditional dining is special for some people and that's one of the reasons they like to cruise. That's just how I feel, I could be wrong about others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't vote, as we do prefer Traditional dining, but this new concept seems like fun and a great change of pace. If we want traditional, we will cruise Celebrity! Oceania and Azamara have open seating and it's fine.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Yes! I'm with you! We have been strictly sailing on Celebrity for the last few years and we love their brand. I will continue to sail with them 99% of the time, because I do appreciate the tradition and the understated elegance of their ships (and good food). That being said however...this new concept and the WOW of this new ship has me excited to break out of my routine and give it a try just once... just to experience something different and exciting. Then I will go back to my happy comfort place and continue to sail X. This is most definitely worth a try though...and I'm excited!

FWIW - I bet the food will be better than a traditional RCCL experience, since each restaurant will be serving fewer people at once. Oh, and I LOVE the idea of the formal restaurant!

Cheers

Tammy