Back to back procedure

jackom

Please advise HAl procedures when first leg of back to back cruise ends and next leg sails

We are in same cabin on both legs

Do we need to disembark and then re embark. If so how long must one stay of the ship?

Thank you

I assume you are doing your back to back in the US. Last year we did a back to back in Fort Lauderdale after a transatlantic cruise. We had to be off the boat by 9:30 AM and clear immigration. We were among the last to leave, and spent the day touring Fort Lauderdale. We took a crew shuttle (which is available to passengers) to a shopping mall, caught up on e-mail at a Starbucks, ate a non-HAL lunch, restocked our wine and munchies and were back on the ship at about 3:00 PM. We did not have to go through check-in again.

In a US port, turn-around day is a wonderful day to spend on the ship. You do have to leave in the morning (9:30 ish) for an hour or less. You will receive exact instructions on what to do. You will wait in the terminal somewhere not far from the gangway. When the ship is totally cleared of past passengers (zeroed down) you will be allowed to return to the ship and spend the day leisurely relaxing by the pools, etc ... or watching the "newcomers" come aboard. I do not know the procedure for international ports.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Not sure if we are on a B2B or not, but think we are. What exactly is a B2B. We are new to some of these terms.

We are on the 22 Adriatic and Mediterranean Dream. Part of it is an 11 day Adriatic Dream.

If you are taking more than one cruise, without a break, then consider that a back to back. It would also be considered a Collectors' Cruise if it were under one booking number, usually with a price discount---a special back to back, as it were.

The turn-around day procedures would be the same.

Since your turn-around is in Europe, you can treat it as any other port day. Should you choose to stay on board, you may. There is no "zeroing down" done when the ship is in Europe.

The rare exception would be if the ship had to do a deep cleaning, due to virus on board, but that's not the normal procedure in Europe.

I have been on B2B and one must go through customs before retuning to the ship.

It is real easy. You can go shopping or take a tour or wait for the ship to zero down. Once

you do that you can re board. If you take a tour or go shopping you just get your purchases screened and then you board the ship. Must be back by 3:00PM Specific directions are sent to your cabin the day before you dock. However, at the emergency drill you MUST be a participant before both the first and second voyages..

The port of turnaround is Dover U.K.

I did a turn-around day in Dover. HAL did offer some shore excursions for in-transit passengers, one of which I took. Upon return to the ship, I was able to head straight to boarding, and cut the check-in line area.

Otherwise, it was just like any other port day.

When the turn around day is in the EU countries there are few to any hassles. Most of the time, those who are staying on the ship, can treat the day like any other port day. On HAL cruises they make it even easier since they will give you a single cruise card to cover your entire cruise. So that day in Dover is just another day. And by the way, Dover Castle is quite an interesting place to visit during a visit to Dover.

Hank

In a US port, turn-around day is a wonderful day to spend on the ship. You do have to leave in the morning (9:30 ish) for an hour or less. You will receive exact instructions on what to do. You will wait in the terminal somewhere not far from the gangway. When the ship is totally cleared of past passengers (zeroed down) you will be allowed to return to the ship and spend the day leisurely relaxing by the pools, etc ... or watching the "newcomers" come aboard. I do not know the procedure for international ports.

We're doing a B2B Alaska cruise (Vancouver - Seward - Vancouver). In Seward we've booked an independent 4H glacier cruise to pass the time as HAL didn't have any shore excursions. I contacted HAL and they advised me that we have to be back at the ship 2 hours before departure.

Edited by Sue from Canada