Royal Snobs?

That coupled with we are working towards Pinnacle means we stick RC, and will probably switch to celebrity once she leaves home and we have our status.

Why worry about reaching Pinnacle if you plan to switch to Celebrity? There's no reciprocal status on X at that level. :confused:

Some people like to go to the same part of the ship, sit at the same table, have the same wait staff, make table mate friendships, pick from a varied menu that switches every night. Where did this option go?

On most of the cruise ships out there, it didn't go anywhere. Nothing has been taking away from any existing ships. In other words, people who like traditional dining and all that it encompasses, have not had their options reduced.

Why worry about reaching Pinnacle if you plan to switch to Celebrity? There's no reciprocal status on X at that level. :confused:

I like your idea. Better yet, if all one is worried about is how upscale the cruise is, just sail the most expensive lines. If one has that much money to burn then why worry about silly points.

I love Royal caribbean but I tried other companies too and I'll try in the future...I still prefer RC, but I loved some other things that the other companies have and RC dont have. But we are the kind of persons who like to discover new things, new countries, new resorts...I cant imagine myself doing always the same cruise lines, the same ports, the same kind of things just because I don't want to change :) If the company change the dining, well, we don't mind to try it :D maybe it can be better...it will not ruin my vacations for sure :cool::D

My problem isn't with 'Dynamic Dining' as such, I sailed NCL in January and loved Freestyle. What I don't like the sound of, is having to make reservations each night. I love My Time, I just turn up and eat, without reserving. Now it may be, when the system settles down, I will be able to do that, I don't know. Only one way to find out, and that's to try the Anthem, when she hits these shores.

My opinion..I like it for two reasons.

1-Choices! Not the same old thing for 7 days

2-24 hour Windjammer!!

#1 DITTO

#2 Yes, Yes, Yes and an all night grill, and a 24 hour Bakery for that late night sweet tooth. I was on the Breakaway could not find anything sweet on the ship anywhere after the buffet closed.

On most of the cruise ships out there, it didn't go anywhere. Nothing has been taking away from any existing ships. In other words, people who like traditional dining and all that it encompasses, have not had their options reduced.

We're not talking about most cruise ships, we're talking about the Quantum class, and people's opinion of the changes on Quantum. Options are being added, options are being taken away, not everyone is going to love it.

Had I suggested a week ago that RCL improve itself by adopting NCL freestyle dining, I would have been slammed by RCL loyalists, some of the very same people who are adamantly embracing it. I've seen some of the same behavior on most of the other mass market cruise line threads, like we're sports fanatics painting our faces up in cruise line paint.

If Olive Garden changed their bread sticks, I grantee it would be polarizing. Some would come back after years to try them, some loyal customers would never set foot in Olive Gardens again. Most customers would go either slightly more or slightly less often, because bread sticks don't make your break the restaurant!

Now let's say the new bread sticks were similar to another restaurant chain, and they were only being introduced in New Hampshire. If people said, "I'm not thrilled with Olive Garden's new bread sticks in NH", would anyone care? No, because Olive Garden is not treated like a religion that people's identities are all strung up into.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I know but seeing as it's in sights gives us something to look forward to;) just in case they through a few other levels in the mix before I retire:D

I'm not sure where this thread was/is headed. IMHO the reactions, pro and con, to "Dynamic Dining" all go back to personal preferences in the style one would prefer to have on their cruise.

There are those who like Traditional Dining - having the same tablemates and servers each evening - and those who like the MTD idea -mixing it up each evening with tablemates (or not) and servers -and now even different dining venues.

We personally like traditional and apparently have been very, very lucky to have had good tablemates on all but one of our cruises.... but that's just us:) As we live in an area with a huge variety of different eateries -"adventurous" food doesn't make or break the cruise for us.

Perhaps RCCL will hit a homerun and provide some ships of the fleet for each of the different type of cruisers

Yes agree it's about preferences, which was why I wondered if WJ would be based on the traditional menus from MDR, to accommodate those that like those menus.

Was there any announcement at the function regarding the direction of the WJ for these ships?

Ps sorry we went a little off track with the conversation, just thought it amusing someone said you had to be a luxury liner passenger regularly to be qualified to have an opinion on this thread:rolleyes: you would have thought more seasoned/repetitive RC cruisers would be more qualified seeing as that is what we are experienced with:D

We're not talking about most cruise ships, we're talking about the Quantum class, and people's opinion of the changes on Quantum. Options are being added, options are being taken away, not everyone is going to love it.

You're missing my point. Right now Royal has 21 ships with "regular" dining. When Quantum debuts, guess what? Royal will still have 21 ships with "regular" dining. So in essence, nothing has been taken away from what is currently offered. All 21 of those ships will continue to have exactly what they have now.

If Olive Garden changed their bread sticks, I grantee it would be polarizing. Some would come back after years to try them, some loyal customers would never set foot in Olive Gardens again. Most customers would go either slightly more or slightly less often, because bread sticks don't make your break the restaurant!

The Olive Garden example is apples to oranges, because every Olive Garden is essentially exactly the same as every other Olive Garden, and your hypothetical example involves changing something at all of them. That's not what's happening at Royal.

You're missing my point. Right now Royal has 21 ships with "regular" dining. When Quantum debuts, guess what? Royal will still have 21 ships with "regular" dining. So in essence, nothing has been taken away from what is currently offered. All 21 of those ships will continue to have exactly what they have now.

The MDR is being taken away on the new Quantum class. You have to go with the context of what I was replying to myself, at least in regards to critiquing it. The original commenter claimed that some people complain about "more options" on the new ship, and that's not correct. The concern is over a popular option being subtracted completely.

Had I replied to someone saying, "Hey guys, there are still 21 ships with a MDR", then you would be correct. No one is disputing this.

The Olive Garden example is apples to oranges, because every Olive Garden is essentially exactly the same as every other Olive Garden, and your hypothetical example involves changing something at all of them. That's not what's happening at Royal.

The point is that Olive Garden fans react much better to criticism that cruise line fans. Had you read my example completely, you would have saw that it was not applied to all Olive Gardens either.

I like your idea. Better yet, if all one is worried about is how upscale the cruise is, just sail the most expensive lines. If one has that much money to burn then why worry about silly points.

I'm not worried about how upscale it is. We sail RC because it is what suits our family best. We have tried several lines with our daughter and it's what we all prefer.

It's also not about money to burn. We chose to cruise for our vacations not spend thousands going to Disneyland every year or skiing or other land based holidays which can and often do cost just as much if not more for families by the time food and souvenirs are added in.

I just think about things logically. Since I started sailing RC they have introduced several new tiers and completely overhauled the whole rewards program. What we save on drinks from lounges on an evening, free internet minutes and cabin discounts is a substantial saving over time. So to say they are silly points, well no they are well earned and well rewarded points, a return on our investment so to speak.

Logically to me there are going to be several more changes to the program over my lifetime, and Celebrity will probably have to do similar soon enough due to the large numbers of RC passengers transferring status. To be towards the top of the pack means I am keeping my options open across the board with the rewards I will receive over the long term.

Money to burn, to you maybe. Do you think your points are silly and worthless:confused: to me a long term return on my investment:D

Getting back to the subject in hand (sorry I have vented enough) my honest opinion

I get those that say they don't like the idea as they are MDR addicts and that's fine. I also understand the perspective of those that want change and variety, me being one and I understand the concern of those that do not like there is no MDR (brings me back to my point will WJ be a substitute MDR in respect to menu).

Everyone is entitled to a view and opinion no matter how many times they have sailed or who with. It is those that sail multiple lines that are most likely to have the strongest opinions as they are the ones that have been more experienced with different alternatives out there and know what works for them, just as those that have sailed different class ships within RC.

One thing I am surprised no one has mentioned is how this will affect gratuities.

It is basically a MTD concept which would mean I assume mandatory upfront payment of gratuities otherwise how would it work?

I am not sold on the ship itself, a lot of people though seem to regard it as bigger than oasis and allure and yet it is smaller with less passengers:confused:

Yes there are features I kind of like, others not so much but until I have experienced would never rule out.

Every single one of us grew up tasting food to see what we did /didn't like even as kids. If we didn't we would either need to be force fed now or very hungry;)

This really is no different. The only thing that changes is how set in our ways we are and how open to change we may be.

If the concept works for you then great try it out. What's the worst that can happen, you choose a different ship in the future. If you are pleasantly surprised great you have two new ships to choose from.

If you don't try you'll never know but some people are perfectly content with that and that's fine by me as well.

Am I jumping to book a cruise on either of those ships - no, would I rule it out in the future - no. Food alone doesn't swing the vote for me!

Getting back to the subject in hand (sorry I have vented enough) my honest opinion

I get those that say they don't like the idea as they are MDR addicts and that's fine. I also understand the perspective of those that want change and variety, me being one and I understand the concern of those that do not like there is no MDR (brings me back to my point will WJ be a substitute MDR in respect to menu).

Everyone is entitled to a view and opinion no matter how many times they have sailed or who with. It is those that sail multiple lines that are most likely to have the strongest opinions as they are the ones that have been more experienced with different alternatives out there and know what works for them, just as those that have sailed different class ships within RC.

One thing I am surprised no one has mentioned is how this will affect gratuities.

It is basically a MTD concept which would mean I assume mandatory upfront payment of gratuities otherwise how would it work?

I am not sold on the ship itself, a lot of people though seem to regard it as bigger than oasis and allure and yet it is smaller with less passengers:confused:

Yes there are features I kind of like, others not so much but until I have experienced would never rule out.

Every single one of us grew up tasting food to see what we did /didn't like even as kids. If we didn't we would either need to be force fed now or very hungry;)

This really is no different. The only thing that changes is how set in our ways we are and how open to change we may be.

If the concept works for you then great try it out. What's the worst that can happen, you choose a different ship in the future. If you are pleasantly surprised great you have two new ships to choose from.

If you don't try you'll never know but some people are perfectly content with that and that's fine by me as well.

Am I jumping to book a cruise on either of those ships - no, would I rule it out in the future - no. Food alone doesn't swing the vote for me!

Probably because there's a WHOLE separate thread on that! :)

I'm somewhat ambivalent on the Dynamic Dining. On one hand, I do like the variety, and the fact that (hopefully) there will now be a true formal venue with enforced dress codes. We won't use that exclusively, but would do it at least a couple times per cruise, maybe more. A couple of the other main venues sound good - the comfort food one, not so much.

What I don't like is that I really do think its yet another step in the direction of complete ala carte pricing - I think one day ALL food will cost additional and ALL entertainment likely the same. Your cruise booking will basically get you a room. I don't think they'll get there in 5 years, they may not get there in 10, but I firmly believe that's where they're purposefully headed - in steps small enough to not upset the customers with too large a change all at once.

Probably because there's a WHOLE separate thread on that! :)

I'm somewhat ambivalent on the Dynamic Dining. On one hand, I do like the variety, and the fact that (hopefully) there will now be a true formal venue with enforced dress codes. We won't use that exclusively, but would do it at least a couple times per cruise, maybe more. A couple of the other main venues sound good - the comfort food one, not so much.

What I don't like is that I really do think its yet another step in the direction of complete ala carte pricing - I think one day ALL food will cost additional and ALL entertainment likely the same. Your cruise booking will basically get you a room. I don't think they'll get there in 5 years, they may not get there in 10, but I firmly believe that's where they're purposefully headed - in steps small enough to not upset the customers with too large a change all at once.

Either that or it will end up as class ships.

I have only ever sailed one truly class ship where dining and venues were subject to the category ie the price paid and that was the QE2 back in the day.

Given one restaurant will be for suites only on the quantum (and personally I preferred some of the other menus over it) this may be the other route they are looking at in order to expand the suite experience and continue getting higher end revenue.

Just a thought

Either that or it will end up as class ships.

I have only ever sailed one truly class ship where dining and venues were subject to the category ie the price paid and that was the QE2 back in the day.

Given one restaurant will be for suites only on the quantum (and personally I preferred some of the other menus over it) this may be the other route they are looking at in order to expand the suite experience and continue getting higher end revenue.

Just a thought

I think you may very well be correct on that thought. That is something they could introduce fairly quickly across many ships, at least a whole lot easier than replacing the MDR with Dynamic Dining. So that could be a relatively short-term strategy, while the longer term "ala carte" one is maybe still pursued with a longer horizon.

I think you may very well be correct on that thought. That is something they could introduce fairly quickly across many ships, at least a whole lot easier than replacing the MDR with Dynamic Dining. So that could be a relatively short-term strategy, while the longer term "ala carte" one is maybe still pursued with a longer horizon.

Agreed because they could integrate the current pay restaurants into the "class" system without having to do a complete overhaul of those restaurants.

Given that some of the ships like the navigator had the nightclub removed and partially turned into a restaurant, the fact that as they refurb are introducing new restaurants that previously didn't exist not only gives them more flexibility now to charge but also in the future to tweak to adapt to whichever concept they decide to go with.

I'm not worried about how upscale it is. We sail RC because it is what suits our family best. We have tried several lines with our daughter and it's what we all prefer.

I just think about things logically. Since I started sailing RC they have introduced several new tiers and completely overhauled the whole rewards program. What we save on drinks from lounges on an evening, free internet minutes and cabin discounts is a substantial saving over time. So to say they are silly points, well no they are well earned and well rewarded points, a return on our investment so to speak.

Logically to me there are going to be several more changes to the program over my lifetime, and Celebrity will probably have to do similar soon enough due to the large numbers of RC passengers transferring status. To be towards the top of the pack means I am keeping my options open across the board with the rewards I will receive over the long term.

Money to burn, to you maybe. Do you think your points are silly and worthless:confused: to me a long term return on my investment:D

I must have misread your quote earlier and misinterpreted it. I only started to cruise on RC just prior to all their changes that you mentioned above. I was a stock holder of RC until I started to received a balcony discount. Once I had that along with some dividends for a few years later I finally sold it this spring.

We are now Diamond and 2.5 cruises away from Plus. We just received our first crystal block this March, and it was the first "gift" that I really appreciated from RC. A nice treasure as well as a keep sake.

We are 1 cruise away from Elite with Princess, but when we discovered Oasis we were hooked on the class of Ship. I have no desire or urge to get that last cruise completed with Princess just in case they change their loyalty program. It doesn't really bother me as I am happy with what I am currently doing and seeing while sailing. Both lines will bring changes and whatever they are the seas will still be calling me, and by the sounds of it you too.

I too like to keep my options open. If you have blinders on you can miss a lot that goes on around you and sadly I must have had mine on when I read you comment. To me it isn't really about the points, it is the memories and the friendships that I have made with cruisers as well as the crew we see repeatedly on our sailings.

I must have misread your quote earlier and misinterpreted it. I only started to cruise on RC just prior to all their changes that you mentioned above. I was a stock holder of RC until I started to received a balcony discount. Once I had that along with some dividends for a few years later I finally sold it this spring.

We are now Diamond and 2.5 cruises away from Plus. We just received our first crystal block this March, and it was the first "gift" that I really appreciated from RC. A nice treasure as well as a keep sake.

We are 1 cruise away from Elite with Princess, but when we discovered Oasis we were hooked on the class of Ship. I have no desire or urge to get that last cruise completed with Princess just in case they change their loyalty program. It doesn't really bother me as I am happy with what I am currently doing and seeing while sailing. Both lines will bring changes and whatever they are the seas will still be calling me, and by the sounds of it you too.

I too like to keep my options open. If you have blinders on you can miss a lot that goes on around you and sadly I must have had mine on when I read you comment. To me it isn't really about the points, it is the memories and the friendships that I have made with cruisers as well as the crew we see repeatedly on our sailings.

Not a problem and no offense taken. Sometimes what one is trying to convey in text isn't always interpreted in the same sense as if it is verbalized. You are fine;)

I have sailed several lines but overall have found RC's rewards to be the best especially once you get to D+ level. Trust me you will love D+ and I hope you achieve it soon seeing as you are so close:D

trust me in general you are right about the points, it's not the sole defining reason to book, But I also look at it that if RC offer what we want, when we want to go and where we want to go why change when we can continue to accumulate points and rewards as we go:)

I was skeptical of taking DD on Celebrity as she was 9 at the time and was taking her to Europe at a time when European schools had not broken up for summer so I knew it wouldn't be kid heavy so to speak.But the places she wanted to go to where not offered by RC so to achieve what we wanted to achieve had to look at other options. She would sail Celebrity again it just wouldn't be her first choice at the moment. When she grows up that will probably change and then when she hopefully has her own family it will probably change again. and I would love to get DH on X just to experience the difference.

I suppose as a parent I just think about what's logical, and that is for now myself and DH are headed to pinnacle and DD will be diamond plus in her own right this year. By affording her that status she will take that with her when she has her own family and gets to enjoy discounts in the future with them even if it is at our expense now:D:D she can then chose what she wants to do regarding lines she sails with in due course.

When you think about it practically, when you sail on a regular basis and you are young, the savings from the higher levels can account to an incredible saving over a lifetime!!!!! Some people may not even have thought about it over the long run, but if you are fortunate enough to experience cruising with children as we have been its a family investment over the long run:)

I finally sailed NCL new ship the Getaway. Im 68 years old and I really enjoyed eating in a specialty restaurent every night. Been on RCCL many times and really enjoyed the experence on NCL. Having the Ultimate dining package at 119 per person was a great deal. Never made a reservation and got seated every night. The food was outstanding and the dinner Magic show 39 dollars extra was worth every penny. I cant wait to try the RCCL new ship. They have to generate more on board spending if there going to keep cruise prices low. Things change in life and NCL dining has been very successful. Its easy to understand why there doing it.

I have sailed NCL twice once before and once after the freestyle dining was introduced. The more recent cruise was about 5 years ago and for the life of us we can barely remember the food or the restaurants;) there was one restaurant we vaguely remember eating in but we remember the MDR but only because we had to walk through it every day to get to / from our cabin:rolleyes: the food itself didn't leave a lasting impression. Just wish we could remember:eek:

I have sailed NCL twice once before and once after the freestyle dining was introduced. The more recent cruise was about 5 years ago and for the life of us we can barely remember the food or the restaurants;) there was one restaurant we vaguely remember eating in but we remember the MDR but only because we had to walk through it every day to get to / from our cabin:rolleyes: the food itself didn't leave a lasting impression. Just wish we could remember:eek:

I know one thing for sure RCCL MDR food has never left me with a lasting impression. But there specialty restaurants have. So I think by them having more pay restaurants is win win for the cruise line and customer.