First time Regent experience from HAL cruisers.

jongbj

jongbj: Sorry that some of us were giving you a hard time about towel animals. It isn't that Regent passengers are better or worse than passengers on other cruise lines. IMO, people who sail on luxury cruise lines are looking for something different than people who sail on other lines. For this reason, luxury cruising isn't for everyone. It sounds as if you enjoyed the luxury experience and would like to try other luxury lines. I think you will find them similar to Regent.

HAL is not in competition with Regent (nor should they be). Regent is advertising to HAL, Celebrity and Princess. Unfortunately, TA's are not explaining the differences between sailing on HAL, Celebrity and Princess and sailing on Regent. There are many HAL customers that are disappointed with Regent because their expectations were not met. Perhaps they were looking for a Holland America type ship with luxury service?

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts. It may give an insight to others who have yet to experience luxury cruising. I wouldn't have liked cruising on a luxury ship at all when I was younger -- much too quiet and laid back (and yes, I did enjoy towel animals:-)

Your comment that people are disappointed because they are looking for a HAL ship with luxury service is very confusing. People are disappointed with Regent because they are expecting something over and above mainstream lines, in regard to food and service. I would like my food to be consistently good---good is all I ask. I would like the bar stewards to take my order in a timely fashion. It doesn't have to be immediate, but I don't want to wait while they are shmoozing with others. I don't want to be ignored. I have asked what means luxury to you and have not received an answer. One thing I can say that signified luxury to me was when I filled out the pre eval, my comments were taken seriously. That is luxury. If you have to wait an inordinate amount of time for a meal to be served or for a steward to take a drink order, that is below even mainstream standards. I would think luxury means being pampered, without being fawned over. One of the reasons I would go back to Regent is because it is all inclusive. That is luxury to me. And, the stateroom size along with the cabin service. The stocked fridge is a luxury as well!! To order a special coffee without having to present a card is a luxury. The ships are nice and well laid out, but there are plenty of nice ships out there nowadays. Those of us who have been critical of Regent is because of very inconsistent food and service. I just won't expect much the next time we sail---and we will sail Regent again. Your reply sounded somewhat condescending to HAL customers, even if you didn't intend it to.

The only thing that I can say is that if you or anyone is not happy with Regent, they should go to another cruise line. There are many choices -- luxury, premium plus, premium, mainstream, etc. IMO, too many people from HAL, Celebrity, Princess and even Oceania are trying Regent and have complaints. This means to me that Regent is not the right cruise line for them.

I do not answer the question about what luxury is because it has a different meaning to different people. We don't mind sipping wine and talking while waiting for a meal in Compass Rose. If it is crowded, so be it. If it takes 2 1/2 hours -- not a problem. What restaurant anywhere could have top notch service when everyone arrives at the same time (as is the case when there are special events prior to dinner). If a meal is not to our liking, we change it. Since we sit in the same section every evening, our server learns our likes and dislikes and will recommend items they feel we would like. This is not something that is done only for us. Anyone can have the same experience. When I recommend picking a server and staying in their area I get lots of reasons why they should not have to do that. Yes -- service should be good everywhere but your individual tastes will not be learned when you have a different server every night.

We certainly do not think Regent is perfect. As most know, we are not fans of included excursions but that is not a deal breaker for us. "Free" excursions seems to be a lure for people who typically sail on premium cruise lines. Compared to a ship with 2000+ passengers, Regent's excursions are great (in terms of crowds). Some long time Regent customers have left Regent because of included excursions. Others (like myself) complain about 6 busloads (not full buses -- 2/3 full perhaps) doing the same excursion. Although they try to arrive at different stops at different times, there are too many incidents of 4 busloads arriving at a bathroom stop at the same time.

Regent's style of luxury appeals to a lot of people. Even customers of some of their competitors (Silversea comes to mind) may not like Regent even though they are very similar. The big difference is the formality of Silversea. Actually, Regent appeals to so many people that most of their sailings are full. So, again, if Regent is not for you, do not expect them to change...... simply try another cruise line.

jongbj, I, for one, enjoyed your very thorough review. Those from first-time Regent cruisers, especially coming from those who have cruised on other lines are actually the ones I most enjoy reading. I will never forget my first cruise ever on Regent/Raddison, and was blown away. Sounds like you have some reservations about returning. Be aware that Regent monitors these boards, and someone will read your comments. More attention would be paid to those comments you left onboard with the cards provided.

Well, I never have butler service, and I am coming up on over 400 nights with Regent, so don't expect it as I always book a standard cabin. First time my steward/ess comes into my room, I place my order for room bar, and give her my preferences. 9 times out of 10 it is there by after dinner. You should have had it in your cabin, period.

Towel animals. None on Regent, but I love them! On Disney with my 3 cabins one after another with my children and grandchildren, our guys had them hanging in different places as well as on the beds. Who cannot find the child in them NOT to enjoy? Also enjoy them in Mexican resorts where I have stayed on land.

I never met Elvis on any cruise that I remember. As for wine, at dinner I always order either what is offered on the menu, and if I don't like, it, they bring me something else, usually I ask for what I know is on the ship. Just ask, if you cruise in the future.

LindaM, I enjoy your posts, but as for different ships in the same lines, my feeling is that they should all offer the same service level. While some do not like the size of the Navigator, service should offer the same level as every other ship in the line. Same with HAL. The physical differences of ships differ by matter of what they are, but service should not, on any line.

Jong, I sure hope you will return to Regent, but go ahead and try another line, by all means. I have only tried Silversea in the luxury category, so have nothing to offer. I thought the lines were equally good. I just get much better perks on Regent due to my time with them, but I'm always looking.

That thing about the passports, I like having it taken from me and kept safe. Never have a problem using credit cards when shopping off the ship. Glad others have suggested to you to just make a copy if that will alleviate your main concern!

I appreciate the time you took to post.

Edited by jhp

JHP: thank you for your balanced reply.

We are moving a bit in the 'giving up our passports' thing as it seems to be a requirement for luxury cruising. It would have been helpfull though if Regent, or the other lines, would mention the passport thing on their website e.g.

We did really enjoy luxury cruising, but, coming from HAL and based on our TAs advice, had higher expectations. We found when talking to other first time Regent cruisers, that they were feeling the same, also based on information given by their TA.

Now knowing what to expect, I don't want to step back to HAL but keep on luxury cruising, or at least, as long as I can afford it :) . We will probably try other lines but sincerely enjoyed the Navigator.

I find it also very enlighting to step back a little and let the experience mature in my mind so I get a more balanced view.

I am glad you are rethinking the passport thing. In my mind, regent and silversea are pretty equal. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but overall they balance out. I choose between them based on itinerary. I would not consider seabourn given their smoking policy. No interest at all in Crystal. So Regent and Silversea are pretty much it for ocean cruises for us, and that is fine.

I strongly suspect that most people who sail on luxury lines started cruising on mainstream or lesser lines. Our first commercial cruise was on a Greek line decades ago - it's no longer in business.

We have more than 200 days on HAL, which we enjoyed very much. But we left because HAL was adding cabins on the smaller ships and building larger ships.

We were attracted to Regent for the " all-inclusive", casual dress and stringent smoking policy and the size of the ships - a few hundred passengers instead of thousands! Also, reading Petlover's around-the-world blog on Cruise Critic several years ago was VERY enticing.

We haven't looked back.

We have cruised both with HAL and Regent, and will probably never return to HAL. We love the Navigator--its small size/passenger load, the staff, and the service.

Speaking of staff, I have to wonder what's up with Elvis. He is one of our favorites and was always smiling, attentive, and friendly whenever we encountered him at the various bars. It's a shame that jongbj's experience with him didn't reflect the Elvis we know and love.:)

LindaM & TC, Sorry but neither of you does yourself any favors with the quibbling over minutae. Both of you are right and both wrong. There is no such thing as a PERFECT experience, it is a question of how close you get to what you expect. Imo all is in the eye of the beholder.

Reading this board is like watching the VIEW. I can't find anything wrong what TC said. Oh, it happens now and then on the Crystal board which I frequently visit because we have several friends that post and I want read about their cruise experience. Nothing more.

Both lines are very good.

We must have been lucky with our TA. She knew nothing of Regent so she asked a Regent rep out of Toronto to come to our area to give a talk on Regent and what to expect. That rep clearly defined the differences with other lines without being nasty to them - quite a feat in itself IMHO. So, when we boarded the Mariner many moons ago, we knew what to expect and what not to. We were very pleasantly surprised and have tried to save out money to get on Regent ever since. So for those who read these boards if their TA's can ( I hate to say this) "swallow" their pride for a bit AND if Regent offers this service then that TA should avail themselves of it...if they (Regent) offer this service in the frozen north, then I am sure they offer it in the US...other countries perhaps not so much (no offense folks)...

Just a suggestion..

Jonbj...Like I said I am almost positive me met and talked on the cruise..hope to see you again....and same with me as I look back in retrospect on this cruise it seems even better....

We must have been lucky with our TA. She knew nothing of Regent so she asked a Regent rep out of Toronto to come to our area to give a talk on Regent and what to expect. That rep clearly defined the differences with other lines without being nasty to them - quite a feat in itself IMHO. So, when we boarded the Mariner many moons ago, we knew what to expect and what not to. We were very pleasantly surprised and have tried to save out money to get on Regent ever since. So for those who read these boards if their TA's can ( I hate to say this) "swallow" their pride for a bit AND if Regent offers this service then that TA should avail themselves of it...if they (Regent) offer this service in the frozen north, then I am sure they offer it in the US...other countries perhaps not so much (no offense folks)...

Just a suggestion..

Jonbj...Like I said I am almost positive me met and talked on the cruise..hope to see you again....and same with me as I look back in retrospect on this cruise it seems even better....

That does sound like an excellent preparation.

And drcandon It is most likely we have met. We have met only very wonderful people aboard the Navigator. We really liked the ship.