Formal Nights, Long Dresses?

Iwilder

Does anyone else enjoy the ironic juxtaposition of the "Can I Wear My Long Gowns" with the "'taint Wearing No Jacket or Tie, No Way, No How" thread? :D

The tone in each thread is much different as well. Very interesting.

Edited by AlohaPride

There is only 3 formals on my upcoming 14 day cruise. Maybe they are tired of people that complain about them or whine because they have to dress up.

So, those of us who do like to dress for dinner should whine louder and longer that we're being deprived of formal nights! HAL will have to schedule more dressy nights to shut US up!

It's a plan. :D

So, those of us who do like to dress for dinner should whine louder and longer that we're being deprived of formal nights! HAL will have to schedule more dressy nights to shut US up!

It's a plan. :D

:) I don't care what the dress code is, as long as someone tells my wife. She'll make sure I am appropriately attired. I do get to pick my own socks though.

Besides, formal nights are one of the only times you get to practice your bow tie tying skills. Sure, you can practice at home while wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but it just lacks that certain something.

Besides, formal nights are one of the only times you get to practice your bow tie tying skills.

For some passengers it's the only time they actually dress to the level of "smart casual". ;)

For some passengers it's the only time they actually dress to the level of "smart casual". ;)

My hubby is a general foreman for an electrical contractor. In Hawaii, the most we get to dress up is an Aloha Shirt and slacks. We both look forward to dressing to the nines and are really disappointed to hear they may be cutting the formal nights to less than 2 per week.

My hubby is a general foreman for an electrical contractor. In Hawaii, the most we get to dress up is an Aloha Shirt and slacks. We both look forward to dressing to the nines and are really disappointed to hear they may be cutting the formal nights to less than 2 per week.

I remember a picture of you and your DH on a Christmas cruise. You wore a red gown, and your DH was all dressed up, too. You looked happy, and both of you looked so nice. Just a gorgeous picture.

I remember a picture of you and your DH on a Christmas cruise. You wore a red gown, and your DH was all dressed up, too. You looked happy, and both of you looked so nice. Just a gorgeous picture.

You have an AMAZING memory!! I was thinking about bringing that gown again this time. If we're cut down to only 3 formal nights, I'm for SURE going to bring it.

5 children married - 5 mother of the groom/bride gowns with nowhere to go now. It's great to be able to wear them on our HAL cruises. We enjoy getting dressed up - I love how handsome my husband looks in his suit and tie. Depending on the length of the cruise, I will take 2-4 of them with me. And I have a couple of others I have picked up in my travels, too. I also take short cocktail dresses, and even will often take more casual dresses for non-formal nights. I find them very comfortable to wear, and I feel good in them. The rest of our life is very casual, so formal cruise nights are our only chance to get gussied up. Please take your gown with you and enjoy yourself wearing it. Although not everyone will be in full gowns, I highly doubt you will be the only one.

We also would be glad to join Ruth in a vocal campaign to ensure HAL does not reduce formal nights. For those not wanting to do formal, they already provide that opportunity. It is called the Lido, Canaletto, or room service. I hope they continue to provide those of us who WANT to do formal the same choice and opportunity as those who don't. It is one of the things I really look forward to when choosing HAL.

:) I don't care what the dress code is, as long as someone tells my wife. She'll make sure I am appropriately attired. I do get to pick my own socks though.

Ha! Consider yourself lucky- I wouldn't even let me DH pick the socks! He has no problem throwing on white gym socks with shiny tux shoes!

To the OP- I also wear a mix of long and cocktail dresses for formal nights. Just try to take it up a notch beyond church attire and you will be doing great.

5 children married - 5 mother of the groom/bride gowns with nowhere to go now. It's great to be able to wear them on our HAL cruises. We enjoy getting dressed up - I love how handsome my husband looks in his suit and tie. Depending on the length of the cruise, I will take 2-4 of them with me. And I have a couple of others I have picked up in my travels, too. I also take short cocktail dresses, and even will often take more casual dresses for non-formal nights. I find them very comfortable to wear, and I feel good in them. The rest of our life is very casual, so formal cruise nights are our only chance to get gussied up. Please take your gown with you and enjoy yourself wearing it. Although not everyone will be in full gowns, I highly doubt you will be the only one.

We also would be glad to join Ruth in a vocal campaign to ensure HAL does not reduce formal nights. For those not wanting to do formal, they already provide that opportunity. It is called the Lido, Canaletto, or room service. I hope they continue to provide those of us who WANT to do formal the same choice and opportunity as those who don't. It is one of the things I really look forward to when choosing HAL.

I love it that you get the chance to wear your lovely outfits. I just wish I could fit into mine. :)

Unfortunately what you are packing for your cruise would take up my whole suitcase. When we travel we need do a lot more than just a cruise. We will be travelling for 10 weeks - on and off planes, trains, coaches and ships. We just cannot bring the gowns and tux's with us. Nice black slacks and a sparkly top is easy for me but my DH will not carry a jacket around for 2-3 nights out of 10 weeks. He needs a much more casual jacket for sightseeing and windproofing.

We don't go to the MDR on formal nights - we can order room service if the menu looks nice. It really isn't that big a deal for us.

I have a special spot in my closet for the dressy "cruise clothes". The only other chance I get to wear them is for holiday parties. And I love seeing my honey dressed up in his elegant black suit. Last month I bought a red silk jacket on sale, with formal nights in mind. I won't get to wear it until our next cruise and that will be in August - long time to wait. So I heartily vote for more formal nights.

We never get to dress up much in our small rural town - folks here consider "dressing up" wearing their "new" jeans.

I love it that you get the chance to wear your lovely outfits. I just wish I could fit into mine. :)

Unfortunately what you are packing for your cruise would take up my whole suitcase. When we travel we need do a lot more than just a cruise. We will be travelling for 10 weeks - on and off planes, trains, coaches and ships. We just cannot bring the gowns and tux's with us. Nice black slacks and a sparkly top is easy for me but my DH will not carry a jacket around for 2-3 nights out of 10 weeks. He needs a much more casual jacket for sightseeing and windproofing.

:D I will admit that there is no hope for me to ever fit into the dress from our oldest son's wedding ever again! I'm sure it shrunk! :) And 2 of the other dresses I altered, as they also started to shrink. I think it is a problem with my drycleaner! :rolleyes:

And we are very fortunate that on most of our cruises, luggage has not been a huge issue, as we have driven to the ports (including a 14 day we took out of Tampa - we spent 12 days driving from the west coast of Canada to Tampa, then another 5 weeks driving the Eastern States then home). We have done a 28 day Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego that we flew to, but by choosing my lighter weight, roll into a ball gown, 1 sport jacket and tie for hubby, and only 1 pair of dress shoes, we were still able to do it.

Isn't it nice that HAL has dining venue options for everyone? I can't wait to get back on board.

Do men wear a tux or just a dark suit on formal nights. My DH looks so handsome in his tux. I tell him so, so I guess that is why he likes wearing it. Do men usually wear suits to dinner on regular nights.

I am just looking into taking a Holland America cruise next year.

Thanks

Do men wear a tux or just a dark suit on formal nights. My DH looks so handsome in his tux. I tell him so, so I guess that is why he likes wearing it. Do men usually wear suits to dinner on regular nights.

I am just looking into taking a Holland America cruise next year.

Thanks

Shorter cruises are less formal than long ones. A tuxedo or suit works fine for formal nights. Some men wear suits on smart casual nights, but sports jackets or just dress shirts are more the norm. If you're worried about overdressing, don't. There will be plenty of people who dress nice every night.

I pack for my husband, travelling from the uk I mix our clothes between 2 suitcases, just in case 1 goes missing en-route!, the only thing I ask of my DH is that he checks the clothes I put ready are suitable (ie fit)

I know how important this is because like many others, my clothes seem to be shrinking every year:D.

First formal night on our recent 14 night Eurodam cruise and DH couldn't get into his suit trousers! so all my long dresses stayed on hangers and formal nights were spent in LIDO:(

I did suggest he could hire a suit, but it would have been 2 x $95. He could buy a new one at home for that!!

By the way I'm not complaining about the lido, on holiday I don't really care where I eat on board as its all good and cooked by somebody else:)

To the OP- I also wear a mix of long and cocktail dresses for formal nights. Just try to take it up a notch beyond church attire and you will be doing great.

Absolutely. If it's too dressy for church, it's probably dressy enough for formal nights.

Think of the pictures of dresses shown in holiday catalogs, and you'll be on the right track.

I wear long ankle length dresses or dressy palazzo pants/dressy skirts with sparkly tops on Formal night..I don't call them gowns as they have sleeves &/or jackets..

DH used to bring his TUX but lately he only brings a dark suit on a normal cruise.. On longer cruises, such as the one we did last year when we had many formal nights, he took his tux, dark suit & sports jacket, but HAL shipped four bags for us to the port..

Yesterday, we were invited to a very lovely Country Club here in SW Florida for cocktails & Hors d' Oeuvre's for our Broker who is retiring from a well known Brokerage firm.. Many of his long term clients were invited.. DH wore slacks, sport jacket w/tie & I wore long plain black skirt with a white cotton top which had little silver beads on it..Very plain nothing fancy..I would wear the same top with slacks for dinner out or smart casual on HAL..

But, we were over-dressed! :eek: The only gentlemen who had on suits & ties were from his office..The ladies from his office were a bit more dressed up, but all the clients wore slacks including ladies with plain tops/shirts..A few men wore sport jackets but most did not.. The clients who were invited were all in the senior age bracket, as we were all with him for many years..

It was Country club casual for sure.. I was floored to say the least..:D

Edited by serendipity1499

I have friends trying to convince me that the new trend of the little leather dress would be perfectly acceptable with a jacket/shawl and bold accessories. I'm not so sure on HAL. I was thinking more conservative. Just because it's a "trend" doesn't mean it is suitable for all occasions. Feedback most welcomed. I already have 2 different dresses selected, so I'm glad to leave the little leather dress at home!

I am unable to find out how to get my name on Roll Call Oosterdam Sydney to

Vancouver. I am registered as Nettiem. Help, please!:confused:

In case you dont make your way to our roll call, I am organising our meet and mingle. It is at 11.00 am till noon in the Crows Nest on April 14 th. Please come and join us, don't worry about being on the list at this stage.

We don't go to the MDR on formal nights - we can order room service if the menu looks nice. It really isn't that big a deal for us.

You could try the Canaletto one formal night, smart casual.....no shorts.