Does anyone else get a kick out of the way the elevator voice pronounces "Lido"?

Tgianco

Thanks !!!!

Now I have this song stuck in my head :)

Lido missed the boat that day he left the shack; But that was all he missed. He ain't comin' back

Also have visions of Cozumel (missed the boat) best pier runners ever !

Princess' elevators announce "Deck 12 Aloha" , lol

If you ever want to hear something extremely mispronounced listen to your GPS pronounce Spanish and Chumash names in the Los Angeles area. La Brea, Cahuenga, Tujunga. Don't even want to hear how she pronounces the names back east or Hawai'ian names. And don't listen to the pronounciation of Hueneme, it's a hoot. Oh, it's pronounced Why-knee-me.

I never got a thrill from how the word "lido" is pronounced. It came into English from Italian, where letter I is pronounced like in the word "machine". So saying LEE-doh, rather than LID-oh or LYE-doh, is simply correct.

Having said that, I do enjoy the elevator lady voice. I'm pretty sure it's just me, but it seems like she pronounces each deck in a slightly different inflection. Deck 3 sounds business-like, decks 4 thru 6 sound friendly, 7 and 8 sound chipper, and 9 thru 12 sound flirty (only on Fantasy class ships). Yup, it's just me :D:o:o.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

This has come up before:) In the south of England its pronounced LI- DO (LIE DOH) and I still call it "Lie Doh" even though I live in australia :)

Now the blow up floating bed thing you take to an outdoor swimming pool is called a Lilo (Lie Low)

You do not take your Lee Low to the Lee Doe, you take your Lie Low to the Lie Doh:D:D:D

I never got a thrill from how the word "lido" is pronounced. It came into English from Italian, where letter I is pronounced like in the word "machine". So saying LEE-doh, rather than LID-oh or LYE-doh, is simply correct.

Having said that, I do enjoy the elevator lady voice. I'm pretty sure it's just me, but it seems like she pronounces each deck in a slightly different inflection. Deck 3 sounds business-like, decks 4 thru 6 sound friendly, 7 and 8 sound chipper, and 9 thru 12 sound flirty (only on Fantasy class ships). Yup, it's just me :D:o:o.[/quote.

I speak English not Italian so its Lie Doh for me:D If we spoke Italian anything with a double C would be "CH"

Did you know cruise ship elevators and most US elevators "Ding" for up and "Dong" for down, its for visually impaired persons! In Australia elevators "Ding" up and "Ding" down. The Ding- Dong elevator is a great idea;)

What can I say?

I'm a sucker for her little British accented "Leee-dough".

I'm from ex-British-Colonial Barbados

and I thought that is the way you're supposed to announce it.

Edited by Aplmac

I haven't noticed it too much recently, but the "elevator lady" used to say "LOPPY" for lobby. Used to always crack me up. :D Yep, just another part of the "entertainment" aboard the GREAT Carnival Ships! :cool:

"SKY"