disembarkation- walk off?

Jetswdo

Just wondering, can you walk of the ship with the people pulling their luggage in the am, if you do $20 per person bags sent directly to airline-- I'm assuming the answer is "no" that it doesn't make any difference--

You can request walkoff whether you have luggage with you or not.As long as you don't need to claim your luggage.

We did this recently and only had carry ons with us.In fact no one checked our tag colors when we left the ship (we actually were in the second group walkoff and just left with the first group.

In Ft. Lauderdale we always pay the $20.00 to send our luggage to the airport. Nice to just see it again at our home airport.

We like spending time in Ft. Lauderdale after our cruise so we like getting off as soon as possible. Only problem is people pulling lots of luggage and sometimes difficult to navigate the crowd.

Edited by san diego sue

We have a pick up scheduled for 9:00 after the cruise (did that due to it being Easter Sunday- was nervous regarding taxi wait) We would like to walk off the ship and hopefully not too long a wait to go through the port stuff before being able to get our ride. If we CAN just walk of the ship- (we will just have small rolling suitcase and backpack each) since luggage will be sent from ship to airline directly---what time should we leave the ship?

we have a pick up scheduled for 9:00 after the cruise (did that due to it being easter sunday- was nervous regarding taxi wait) we would like to walk off the ship and hopefully not too long a wait to go through the port stuff before being able to get our ride. If we can just walk of the ship- (we will just have small rolling suitcase and backpack each) since luggage will be sent from ship to airline directly---what time should we leave the ship?

8:30?

We do it every time and ask for the earliest self disembark and we usually get the first taxi or second and from then on it is plain sailing but you must be able to manage your luggage and often this is up or down hill

We do it every time and ask for the earliest self disembark and we usually get the first taxi or second and from then on it is plain sailing but you must be able to manage your luggage and often this is up or down hill

Oh, please do realize you must be very sure you can manage your own luggage. We've seen some who have tried to do this who really should not have. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

In Ft. Lauderdale we always pay the $20.00 to send our luggage to the airport. Nice to just see it again at our home airport.

If we CAN just walk of the ship- (we will just have small rolling suitcase and backpack each) since luggage will be sent from ship to airline directly.

Remember to make sure that your flight is no earlier than the earliest flight time that EZCheck is allowed to be used.

At FLL this is usually 11:30 AM.

If your flight is any earlier than that, you will need to bring your luggage to the airport yourself.

Edited by caribill

We have a pick up scheduled for 9:00 after the cruise ?

Check at the front desk re the procedure on your ship. The walk offs usually get off very early and you don't need to do that.

You can sign up for a private pickup at 9 on your disembarkation form and you will be assigned a time/color group to leave with. Doesn't matter if you need/use the tags or not. But sometimes the staff member at the meeting place DOES look to see you have the little tear off piece of the luggage tag to get you into the waiting spot. (to keep things organized)

You then can just go straight to the customs lines with your carry bags.

Just disembarked from Royal last month. some thoughts:

1. Tried to do ez check w 11:34 flight and was denied. Princess explained it was at the airlines discretion to accept or deny.

2. I had to schedule my new disembark plans. I chose early walk off at 6:15. This meant I kept my own luggage.

3. There were at least five other ships in port before us. Customs did not clear us until 6:30, This meant all the disembarkation groups were approx half an hour behind. They DID check for tickets in our cruise.

4. You must have one hand free to hold onto the railing of the escalator into arrivals or else you had to wait on line for ONE elevator.

5. I got lucky..customs went quickly (unusual during high season). There was a long line for the cabs and shuttle. Had a private car and made it the airport by 9.

We disembark on a Sunday. Do you think that matters as far as luck in getting a cab?

Saturday and Sunday are usually the days with the most ships in port and thus the most demand for cabs.

How many cabs will be lined up at your terminal is anybody's guess.

Hehny: Would you please tell me what private car service you used and the cost? I'd appreciate that. No trouble finding the driver? Thank you.

We used infinity transportation. The cost was 72.59 for a sedan. This included port fees and tips. Booked online. Worth every penny. We actually got out earlier than anticipated and had no problems getting the time switched for pick up. They kept in constant contact by text through our cell phone..describing the car, the license plate. We wrote back where we were and what we were wearing. No problems finding each other. They talked specifically about cruise pickups on their website.

I had to get on the 11:34 flight so I didn't hesitate for peace of mind through a private transport. For me, that was priceless. Sundays are very busy at the port. All I can offer us my experience. To each his own.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by hehny

We used infinity transportation. The cost was 72.59 for a sedan. This included port fees and tips. Booked online. Worth every penny. We actually got out earlier than anticipated and had no problems getting the time switched for pick up. They kept in constant contact by text through our cell phone..describing the car, the license plate. We wrote back where we were and what we were wearing. No problems finding each other.

I had together on the 11:34 flight so I didn't hesitate for peace of mind through a private transport. Sundays are very busy at the port.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks very much for your info!!:)