Placing Name/Address on NCL Luggage Tags, Really?

eandbnorton

We're getting excited for our Eastern Med cruise aboard the Spirit and I printed our luggage tags. We haven't cruised with NCL for a few years and I don't remember previous luggage tags containing anything more than the Ship name and cabin number and location. The tags I just printed, in addition to the aforementioned information have an area for Name and Address (Mouse sized print is needed as the area is very small). I know I'm not the brightest critic on the cruise, and don't understand the purpose of providing this information on these tags. I suppose NCL could expect that some folks arrive at embarkation and need luggage tags, possibly those driving to the port. Regardless, just prior to embarkation, we drop our bags with the kind folks at the ships baggage drop, so what purpose does the information truly serve?

In the past, my personal luggage tags, containing the address and phone number of my destination hotel/apartment (in this case it is my sister-in-laws apartment in Florence, Italy, where she will sadly remain behind) have remained attached to my luggage and I simply attached the Cruise Line Luggage tags along side my personal tags.

I'm curious what the participants of this forum thoughts are regarding the need for name and address on ship luggage tags when a personal tag is attached to the luggage.

I appreciate you in advance and look forward to your replies.

Edited by eandbnorton
correct errors

We're getting excited for our Eastern Med cruise aboard the Spirit and I printed our luggage tags. We haven't cruised with NCL for a few years and I don't remember previous luggage tags containing anything more than the Ship name and cabin number. The tags I just printed, in addition to the aforementioned information have an area for Name and Address (Mouse sized print is needed as the area is very small). I know I'm not the brightest critic on the cruise, and don't understand the purpose of providing this information on these tags. I suppose NCL could believe that we could arrive at embarkation need luggage tags. Regardless, prior to embarkation, we drop our bags with the kind folks at the ships baggage drop, so what purpose does the information truly serve?

In the past, I've left my airline luggage tags, containing the address and phone number of my destination hotel/apartment, on my luggage (in this case it will be my sister-in-laws apartment in Florence, Italy, where she will sadly remain behind) and placed the Cruise Line Luggage tags near the those tags.

I'm just wondering what this forum participants take on this is.

I appreciate you in advance.

It's not mandatory but if your luggage does go missing it could help reunite you. I have read that some people put their cell phone number on them in lieu of the address (and many will put a card inside with that info). A matter of personal preference I suppose (which means you'll receive many different answers).

NCL tags have had space for address info for several years if I'm remembering correctly. I do put in my name and city. NCL does have all my info so I don't feel it's necessary. Heck if they have your cabin number even if it's been a few weeks they should be able to connect the dots. I don't carry valuables in my checked luggage so all I would lose would be a few outfits. And my insurance will cover the loss.

My husband traveled for many years with his job and flew 3 or 4 times weekly. He had luggage tags that held his business card which provided more than enough info but nothing that would give anyone info about our home.

After traveling for more than 30 years he did lose a piece of luggage. USAIR contacted him at his office and he asked that it be delivered to our home. They agreed and said it would delivered that day. By dinner still no luggage and USAIR claimed it had been placed on our front porch. To this day we still laugh that he was well compensated by USAIR and someone got several days worth of dirty underwear!

Edited by kcwingwalker

LOL I had to laugh. Sorry but the whole concept of "go missing" is funny to me. Luggage does not GO anywhere. It is put somewhere. Not only that but people don't even GO missing. Nevermind, my mind works differently. I just find the use of that term really hilarious. :D

You are welcome:D.

I'm loving your replies. So, do you replace your personal tags with NCL tags? If you do what help is an address other than your cabin on the ship? Possibly a more important question is: Do cruise ships lose luggage, that has been dropped with their baggage drop folks, at the dock right next to the ship? Also, since 9/11, we're experiencing a completely new world, all around the world, and a need could arise when every cruise passenger needs to be connected to their bags and possibly not at the same time. Maybe it's similar to flying, you're not suppose to be able to leave your luggage and depart the plane.

On our last trip on the breakaway... we put the tags on at the dock as we handed the bags to the porters... my luggage didn't make it to the room... somehow the NCL tag got ripped off the bag. Luckily, I usually have another tag or two with my business card. When I went down to the desk to ask about my bag it turned out they had just figured out my cabin from the other tags I had placed on the bag. They were getting ready to deliver it when I picked it up. :)

We're getting excited for our Eastern Med cruise aboard the Spirit and I printed our luggage tags. We haven't cruised with NCL for a few years and I don't remember previous luggage tags containing anything more than the Ship name and cabin number and location. The tags I just printed, in addition to the aforementioned information have an area for Name and Address (Mouse sized print is needed as the area is very small). I know I'm not the brightest critic on the cruise, and don't understand the purpose of providing this information on these tags. I suppose NCL could expect that some folks arrive at embarkation and need luggage tags, possibly those driving to the port. Regardless, just prior to embarkation, we drop our bags with the kind folks at the ships baggage drop, so what purpose does the information truly serve?

In the past, my personal luggage tags, containing the address and phone number of my destination hotel/apartment (in this case it is my sister-in-laws apartment in Florence, Italy, where she will sadly remain behind) have remained attached to my luggage and I simply attached the Cruise Line Luggage tags along side my personal tags.

I'm curious what the participants of this forum thoughts are regarding the need for name and address on ship luggage tags when a personal tag is attached to the luggage.

I appreciate you in advance and look forward to your replies.

The only personal information I ever put is our last name and my cell phone number. The rest is no one's business!

They just put it there so more information can be provided. Nobody has to enter it.

Sadly, millions of pieces of luggage go missing via travel every year because they can not figure out who to return it to.

Personally, we have business cards inside the luggage. Every tag has my cellphone. And my cellphone is always with me and turned on.

I have personal tags and also the cruise tag. I have seen both fall or be ripped off bags that have been handled roughly. I also put a piece of paper with the same information inside the bag, including ship name and cabin number.

I don't have a problem having my address on my bags just in case the airline loses it or it falls off a cart somewhere. I doubt anyone would want to follow up with a person who has been using a $19.99 bag for the last 20 years that is being held together with duct tape and missing a leg (thanks Port Canaveral).

Gosh I have never really thought about this before. I'm not sure why. I think from now on I will have to place something inside the luggage just in case anything was to ever get ripped off on the outside and our luggage doesn't make it to the room. :eek:

Our luggage went missing some years ago and was "poof"gone. Vacation with the 2 bags with all my clothes and husband clothes

The bags had the outer tags( leather ones theat buckle on) removed. I was a

Tired mom and did not put our info inside, but did shamefully put an extra bottle of prescription eye drops or a tube of ointment in one bag, which is frowned upon.

4 months or so later on a Sunday morning our pharmacy called. The bags had never initially left Phoenix when we did. They eventually went to San Juan with the Harman family, who were probably very disappointed when their luggage di not go with them, then were shipped to Charlotte. A kindly agent there noticed 2 bags with giant , polka dot ribbons and figured that they went together. she searched the bags, found the prescription, called CVS , they called us and we had the bags back several days later.

I always put DH work address inside now. Mom taught me not to let the " crooks" know that you are away!,

I'm loving your replies. So, do you replace your personal tags with NCL tags? If you do what help is an address other than your cabin on the ship? Possibly a more important question is: Do cruise ships lose luggage, that has been dropped with their baggage drop folks, at the dock right next to the ship? Also, since 9/11, we're experiencing a completely new world, all around the world, and a need could arise when every cruise passenger needs to be connected to their bags and possibly not at the same time. Maybe it's similar to flying, you're not suppose to be able to leave your luggage and depart the plane.

Yes, it does happen!

Last year, my roommate never received her suitcase for our 12 day Med trip on the Spirit. We used NCL transfers from our Barcelona hotel, watched the suitcases get taken off of the bus, and put on the luggage trolley by the baggage handlers. We never saw it again until Venice 11 days later. NCL investigated the situation and the bag was found in the Barcelona port terminal a few days later. We don't precisely know what happened to the bag and where it was found. Nothing was missing - including her two name tags (with address) and her identifying bow on top.

She had a great attitude about it - and thank goodness she was traveling with three other women! We got to do lots of extra shopping, and NCL was fantastic with OBC, wine, strawberries, etc.

I don't know how common it is. My luggabe has the space for luggage tags top and bottom. I use both spots for the tags, 2 each bag and I have that clear packing tape to make them rip resistant.

There is a spot to put my address and phone number, I use them. Personal preferance. I have abbriviated them from time to time. For the purpose of getting on the ship the sail date and cabin number are obviously the important thing.

I have in the past have had trouble locating my bags due to other looking identical. (Beyonne, NJ cruise terminal). I was happy I had my cell number on it.

Edited by NH Cruisers

If your luggage has other forms of ID on it (and inside it) then you don't have to fill in anything on the NCL luggage tags. Personally, we never put our NCL tags on our baggage until we're headed to the port. They're just paper and if you put them on before your airline trip, they're likely to be ripped off, either accidentally or on purpose as they might confuse the automated airline scanners.

Your luggage should, of course, have some kind of ID on it (and in it, as tags can come off). How much information to put on it is a matter of personal choice. Mine has my airline's frequent flyer supplied tags, with just my name on it. That's enough if I'm travelling on my normal airline, but if I'm on another airline I'll add something with my cell phone #. I don't feel a need to advertise my home address just on general principles.

We were on a cruise in November with friends and when time to leave there luggage was not in the terminal. They did find a bag exactly like theirs. Someone had not checked tags and taken the wrong bag. We tried calling the number on the id tag but it was a home number and no one was home. If a cell number had been on the bag we could have caught them and arranged to get the bag and brought them theirs. They actually had to pass right through our home town getting to theirs. As it turned out we had to wait until they got home and listened to their messages. It took several days for our friends to get their bags back. Thankfully their souvenirs for their kids was not in that bag. On another note, I always get those address labels from different organizations asking for donations and I never use them so I have started using them when we travel on things I have to put our address on. They aren't to big and easy to read and save time.

When we got to the terminal, our one bag was missing. We waited until all of the other luggage had been claimed in our color group (except one bag which looked similar to ours). Luckily, a cell phone number was on the tag and we contacted the family. They had taken our bag by mistake! They turned around and came back to the terminal and we swapped bags. Since then, we always make sure our information is completed on the tags, including our cell phone number (although it was clearly labeled then too, so go figure!).

wwb