Good behavior

Thebosn1

I don't have one specific thing either. The example I can give of good behavior is the 40-50 percent of passengers who just seem to"get it". They understand that we are all packed on this ship together, and don't act like they are the only ones on board.

You can spot the people I'm talkng about, they are not rushing around like idiots or cutting in front of people. They show common courtesy to their fellow passengers. Just being polite and thinking of the people around you is all it takes. :D

Last year on the Paradise, I managed to win a Ship on a Stick at the piano bar (for being the loudest, uh, "singer". Yeah, we'll call it "singing".).

The next night, early, my daughter came in with us, as did my parents. DH, DD and I were at the piano, mom & dad were sitting along the wall.

DD (11 years old) said that she really wanted to win one too. The piano stools were full, and there were three separate groups scattered in the bar. So, when it came time to sing "Don't Stop Believing", I told her she had to be as LOUD as she could.

During the first round of voting, she got 1/3 of the votes, and two other people did too. Then we went into a "vote-off". One of the other "finalists" changed her own vote to my daughter, so then the other finalist did too, and so did the rest of the bar. You would think she won a real piece of gold!! She was thrilled!!!!

I am sure right after we left, the piano player pulled out another one and did a more grown-up version, but honestly, I don't think any of the other people even cared that an 11 year old won, the smile on her face seemed to make everyone smile :)

On my visit to Cozumel I got dehydrated and refilled with a couple of margaritas. After a taxi ride back to the pier, and the tasting shots, I was staggering. I asked a couple of young punks to help this old lady back to the ship and they were most gracious and walked me back. Embarrassed and grateful......

You might want to find a nicer word than "punks" to describe the young ones who helped you. ;)

Edited by WetToes

My 9 y old dd and I were on the Conquest a couple of weeks ago. A few kindnesses really stand out:

1. Debarking in Belize, an experienced cruising family ( you reading this thread Almost packed ;)?) took us under their wing.

2. Debarking in Roatan, a couple we'd met in Belize offered for us to share their cab to meet our respective guides. Once on our excursion, we banded together with a lovely lady and her charming mom and it was great to have the company.

3. The last time we went to the MDR we decided to request a group table and I'm so glad we did! We were seated with two couples. They were interesting and funny and rather than being annoyed at having a kid at their table they treated her like a little lady and included her in the conversation. It was great seeing her in that light.

Hmmm, all this is making me wish we were on another cruise. What a great topic!

Edited by Percyfitzgerald

We have met a lot of nice people whenever we have gone on a cruise. Yes, there are the occasional obnoxious drunks but you can always walk away. We are going again on Magic on the 8th of June and very much looking forward to it!

This one time (no, not at band camp :D) late at night, I was at the drink station in the lido buffet. I wanted to get some iced tea, but there was a group of high school girls loitering nearby, with one of them standing right in front of the dispenser, but not getting any drink. So I said the usual "excuse me, can I get through?" No answer. I was about to reach around her, when suddenly, her friend grabs her by the waist, pulls her away, looks at me smiling, and says: "I'm sorry, my friend was being rude." I kind of knew she was kidding around, so I played along: "well, it's a good thing she has you to teach her how to be nice." Then I got my iced tea, and we parted ways.

This was probably more humor than the good behavior the OP intended to point out, but I thought it was fun enough of an interaction to mention here.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Back in 2001 on the Victory, DW and I went on a champaigne catamaran cruise. They dropped us off in 20 feet of water and said not to worry because even if you couldn't swim, the salt water will keep you floating. Don't believe it.

We swam towards shore with snorkle gear on. About half way to shore, I got tired and turned over on my back to float. When I did it, I took on a mouth full of salt water. I started coughing and immediately sank like a rock. DW grabbed me and started to help. Out of nowhere a lady appeared to help her. She kept hollering until somebody on the catamaran finally took the time to look after their customers and brought out a inflatable boat to rescue us. The sad part was that later on, she had trouble swimming back to the catamaran and again, the

people on the boat had to tell the operators that she was in trouble.

We thanked her profusely but never did get her name and never saw her again even though we were on the same ship and wanted to send her something.

While standing in line to check in for the Imagination cruise a couple of years ago, I was speaking to a young couple in front of me that were going on their honeymoon. The airline had lost her luggage (not his), so she had absolutely no clothes to wear on the cruise. The airline told them that her luggage had been misrouted and that they would flew it to one of the ports of the ship.

Ladies standing in line near us immediately offered her their clothes to wear until she got her luggage. It was really heartwarming to see all the people who offered her help. To finish the story: Her luggage was delivered at the last port that we docked, so she only had "her" clothes for one day. I spoke with them at the end of the cruise, and they said that they had a really great time, and it was really no big deal about missing the luggage. They didn't let something that most people would fume and fret about get them down. It is what it is. Great attitude and great response from the other passengers.

• 4 years later...
A passenger knocked on our cabin door. In his hand was DH's camera which had been left in a public area. The man had turned on the camera and saw a picture of our luggage tag (always the first picture on our cameras). It was easy for him to return it directly to us. Thank goodness for honest people!

THAT is a really smart idea!!

Once on the Miracle there was an older woman who we saw frequently on the ship participating in trivia, game shows etc. I was with our 14 month old DS one afternoon sitting in the atrium waiting for DH to return from scuba diving and she sat down and we made small talk to pass the time. The next day I was leaving our cabin and saw her leaving hers right next door. Didn't even know we were neighbors and then I started to panic thinking she must have been trying to nap when my son was fussy. I was about to apologize when she gave my son one of the medals she won from a ship activity because he was such a quiet, well behaved baby. Very nice of her to do and he still has it.

This is a great one and I encourage everyone to do this! Hubby and I will win different things while on our cruise, or our free Platinum gifts, and if it is something we really won't keep or use we find the first "perfect" looking person to give it to.

Ships on a stick and medals, always go to the first younger kids we see. Bottles of Champagne go to couples (especially those we may know are honeymooning or such), and other gifts and winnings get passed out as well.

It is so rewarding to see the delight on someone's face, and I am a firm believer in paying it forward!

This is a great one and I encourage everyone to do this! Hubby and I will win different things while on our cruise, or our free Platinum gifts, and if it is something we really won't keep or use we find the first "perfect" looking person to give it to.

Ships on a stick and medals, always go to the first younger kids we see. Bottles of Champagne go to couples (especially those we may know are honeymooning or such), and other gifts and winnings get passed out as well.

It is so rewarding to see the delight on someone's face, and I am a firm believer in paying it forward!

That's a great idea and a wonderful thing for you to do.....

THAT is a really smart idea!!
I like that you came back and bumped your own thread four years later. :D And posted as if it was just yesterday. :cool:

This isn't really a good behavior story, but it was special to us. We live in a small, rural IL town. No seriously, I'm talking population under 2,000 small. The closest big city is St. Louis, so a lot of people around here are St. Louis Cardinals fans. Whenever we go on vacation, especially far from home, we always take our Cardinals jerseys. Other Cardinals fans are almost always from the area and they don't hesitate to ask if we're from St. Louis when they see our jerseys. Well, two years ago aboard the Conquest, my wife & I both wore our jerseys on the same day. I had stopped to get a drink from Lido buffet and she had gone on ahead of me, walking passed the pool area. When I got out there, she was talking to an older couple sitting in loungers. Come to find out, they saw her Cardinals shirt and stopped her to ask her if she was from St. Louis (I'm telling you, it never fails). She said no, we're from a very small town in IL, but in that general area. They said they were too and asked where exactly. She told them and I'll be damned if they weren't from our town. That's when it kind of clicked and my wife recognized them. Here's the kicker...when I was little, my mom worked at our town pharmacy and this woman we met on board was my mom's coworker back then. It took me a minute, but I finally remembered her because I used to go in there and visit my mom...and ask for some candy. :) Of all the ships and all the dates, what are the freakin' odds of that? Cardinals jerseys strike again!

On a cruise a couple years ago Pam and I were sitting in the main dining room for dinner at a table for two. There was another couple seated at a table nearby. Partway through the meal the gentleman overheard something that Pam and I were talking about and made a friendly remark. Come to find out I had been online friends with him for many years in a web forum for a hobby that we both enjoy! We only knew of each other by our forum “screen names” and had no idea what either of us looked like in person. Since that time we’ve cruised together with them again and remain in contact online.

Most people on cruises are generally happy people, but some people are just jerks...no matter where they are. Luckily, those people seem to be few and far between while on a cruise!

A few years ago, we were getting back on the ship after a long day in Cozumel, and at the beginning of the pier, there were two college age guys high-fiving everyone who passed and would occasionally yell, "You made it back on time! Woohoo!" They were also passing our free hugs.

Several years ago on The Pride my husband left his Camera hanging on the chair at Dinner. One of our table mates took it with her and brought it to us at dinner the next night. He had went back to look after dinner and asked the Maitre'd but no one had turned it in. She took it for safekeeping which was very thoughtful:)

Sometimes it's your attitude that can give off vibes. Negative or Positive. I've been very lucky with fellow cruisers. If anything, I hope I wasn't pointed out for churlish behavior. I sometimes get a little jiggy in my Speedo's complete with the outside shower splashing off my bod!