Luggage tags

Matt8085

When and how do you put these on your bags? I've printed mine out at home. We're flying into Miami the night before our cruise and staying at a hotel. Do we put them on at the hotel right before we board or do they typically go on before the flight? Do you just fold them and staple them? Is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with above posters. You carry to the hotel so they are not a distraction to the baggage handlers of the airlines. Likewise, pull or cut off the airline tags before attaching the cruise line tags.

I opt for setting this up at home. Print the tags. (Print a spare to set inside the bag so should the outside tag get torn off, a quick search will help ship know which cabin to get that bag into.)

Also at home, laminate with packing tape, fold and punch. If they give a place to punch which is 1/2 inch in, punch in a bit further as long as it does not hit printing. Then a bit of tearing will not break the tag away. Pack a few spare zip ties to attach when in the hotel.

A bit of plastic theory here. Some packing tape has a direction it tears more easily. So when you laminate the tags, the front tape can go top to bottom but the back tape should be left to right. Covering both sides protects the paper from light rain and changing directions means if your packing tape does like to tear in one direction or the other, the tape on the other side will hold. Does that make sense?

We used to laminate them with the packing tape and then even used the tape to put the on the luggage at the hotel. Even helped other people put theirs on at the hotel, too. But before our last cruise, I ordered the CC luggage tag holders, and now I just cut & put them in those!

Is there a market for Cruise Luggage Tags. Saw some last week at the Travel Goods Show in Phoenix. (Plastic sleeve type luggage tag that the print out ones fit into. Attach to the bags with a nylon strap) About $10 retail. Trying to decide if it is worth it to put them into my shop.

You can also use packing tape to "laminate" them, punch hole in each end, take a zip tie and as other poster said attach before you leave the hotel.

We do this. We'll probably invest in tag holders at some point, but won't be cruising for awhile after this trip because DH and I want to start our family and will need to do tertility treatments. Good bye cruise fund!

But we'll probably buy the holders for our next voyage.

I used to use the commercial plastic luggage tags, but they became a pain to use. I then bought a $3.00 min stapler and threw it in my carry-on bag. I print my tags out and carry them with me. At the hotel I simply fold them up and staple them on. No need to bother the hotel and I have had no problems with them.

I fold, tape and punch. Attach with a zip tie (nylon only). Place on the bag anyplace other than the handle so as not to interfere with airline tag but easy to see. Place a list of the trip in the outside pouch. Including complete information regarding flight and time. Destination, hotel, cruise, etc., etc., along with cell phone numbers for contact.

These tags go on before we leave home. If necessary for routing of lost bags, they will be able to catch up with us ASAP. Lost baggage is the responsibility of the agency handling it and they will do anything to make sure that it will get to you.

Just our way and thoughts and never had a problem with late or lost baggage.

Harry :cool:

Is there a market for Cruise Luggage Tags. Saw some last week at the Travel Goods Show in Phoenix. (Plastic sleeve type luggage tag that the print out ones fit into. Attach to the bags with a nylon strap) About $10 retail. Trying to decide if it is worth it to put them into my shop.

I bought some like that online and I love them.

Laura

I print them , then 'laminate' them with clear packing tape. I put the tape dispenser in the checked luggage and when we leave the hotel to go to port, I use the tape to put the tags on. Just tape around the loose ends.

Zip ties are a great idea ! I may try that next time.

Before we had the plastic hilders we used to laminate and attach to luggae with cable ties. When I print the labels, I always try to customise them in some way by adding some small clip art pics

Sandy in Spain