Best port for sea kayaking?

Kesstral

My husband and I are booked on Norwegian Pearl for May 8th on the 10 day Vancouver-Seattle (decided to go last minute). We've done Alaska May 2012 and 2013 so we're very familiar with Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I am really looking forward to Sitka and Icy Strait Point as new ports (Victoria too but being from Vancouver, BC that's not too hard to get to).

One of the excursions that I wanted to do on our previous cruises but never did was sea kayaking. Now I see we have 4 choices for sea kayaking:

Sea Kayak Adventure - Juneau: $99, 3.5 hrs (1.5 paddling)

Icy Strait Point Kayaking: $114, 2.5 hrs (paddling time not noted)

Wilderness Sea Kayaking Adventure - Sitka: $129, 3 hrs (1.5 paddling)

Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayak - Ketchikan: $159, 4.5 hrs (paddling time not noted, but bus and boat trip required)

I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations on which one might be our best value. With 2 new ports on our trip, I'm worried that booking something in ISP (in port 8am - 4pm) or Sitka (7am - 4pm) will take away from our time exploring the ports on our own unless they are not so big that we can see what we need to in the time left.

I'll be curious to the answer as well. We're also looking at a self guided 3 hour tour of Mendenhall. They put you in the water and you paddle where you want for three hours. Can't remember the name of the company but Google Kayaking and Mendenhall.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'll be curious to the answer as well. We're also looking at a self guided 3 hour tour of Mendenhall. They put you in the water and you paddle where you want for three hours. Can't remember the name of the company but Google Kayaking and Mendenhall.

I believe its Above and Beyond Alaska that offers that. I've sent a request to them for availability on our stop in Juneau. Their website says you need kayaking experience (another website of theirs says "or canoe paddling") so we'll see what they say. I think this is the one I'd want to do if its available.

Edited by Kesstral

This is not sea kayaking.

You also have to get yourself to the pick up/put in. It is not where the shuttle buses take you.

My husband and I are booked on Norwegian Pearl for May 8th on the 10 day Vancouver-Seattle (decided to go last minute). We've done Alaska May 2012 and 2013 so we're very familiar with Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. I am really looking forward to Sitka and Icy Strait Point as new ports (Victoria too but being from Vancouver, BC that's not too hard to get to).

One of the excursions that I wanted to do on our previous cruises but never did was sea kayaking. Now I see we have 4 choices for sea kayaking:

Sea Kayak Adventure - Juneau: $99, 3.5 hrs (1.5 paddling)

Icy Strait Point Kayaking: $114, 2.5 hrs (paddling time not noted)

Wilderness Sea Kayaking Adventure - Sitka: $129, 3 hrs (1.5 paddling)

Tatoosh Islands Sea Kayak - Ketchikan: $159, 4.5 hrs (paddling time not noted, but bus and boat trip required)

I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations on which one might be our best value. With 2 new ports on our trip, I'm worried that booking something in ISP (in port 8am - 4pm) or Sitka (7am - 4pm) will take away from our time exploring the ports on our own unless they are not so big that we can see what we need to in the time left.

What else are you planning? There is no "town" to see in Hoonah, the port area has a nice museum and there is a walk around, short trail. This is a superb area for whale watching.

Sitka, has excellent varied wildlife boat tours that are an interest to some people.

As you have found, there is plenty of kayaking. I like kayaking out of Ketchikan, but alway go independent. I have also kayaked to Mendenhall glacier, but as I post above, that is not sea kayaking.

I suggest you figure out what you want to do in each port, then fit in your kayaking.

We booked independently with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan http://www.kayakketchikan.com and did a longer 8 mile trip in Juneau with Above and Beyond Alaska http://beyondak.com/trips/tongass-coast-kayak/

We enjoyed both trips, although in Ketchikan it was a much larger group of guides and kayaks.

We're doing the Juneau trip again in May. Last year we had a guide and one other couple. The trip ended in Auke Bay and we were lucky enough to have a mother and baby whale come close enough that we could hear them breathe. It was amazing.

Budget Queen, is the Mendenall kayaking interesting? We are canoeists and like lake paddling. It doesn't have to be sea kayaking for us, bit I'm not the OP.

It's OK, I like sea kayaking much better. I've also the done the Channel Islands out of Juneau which I thought was much nicer, then the lake. I've done the lake twice, always with a 12+++ port day, and always as a "second" excursion. My priority only.

We have kayaked in all of the ports mentioned by OP except ISP. I would rate them Sitka (best), Ketchikan (close second) and Juneau. In Sitka we did real open ocean kayaking - even caught a little light surfing action.

We were happy with Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan and Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures in Sitka.

Grab a paddle and go!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Mendenhall is out due to lack of experience. I'm really interested in booking directly with a tour operator so really appreciate the company names. Now to decide.

So far we don't have any plans for any of the other ports yet. I'm also trying to not go crazy on excursions. This was a last minute cruise that we hadn't really saved for. I'm ok with not booking anything with Sitka and ISP so we can just check out the areas.

This is not sea kayaking.

You also have to get yourself to the pick up/put in. It is not where the shuttle buses take you.

The company I contacted does offer a pickup/drop "trip" to the lake. I know it's not "sea kayaking" but I would really like to explore this lake on a future trip.

The company I contacted does offer a pickup/drop "trip" to the lake. I know it's not "sea kayaking" but I would really like to explore this lake on a future trip.

I really am interested in the Above and Beyond trip but am afraid this trip it will be too much....

Oh well... Guess I'll have to plan another cruise ;)

I really am interested in the Above and Beyond trip but am afraid this trip it will be too much....

Oh well... Guess I'll have to plan another cruise ;)

I'm a firm advocate of "living for today". :) I don't put off my priorities.

If anyone has a lot of interest in kayaking, I would never hesitate to do more than one. There is no "duplicate" in Alaska, even repeating the same tour, is "different", (I frequently go out on multiple whale watches the same day, and repeat many flights).

If anyone has a lot of interest in kayaking, I would never hesitate to do more than one. There is no "duplicate" in Alaska, even repeating the same tour, is "different", (I frequently go out on multiple whale watches the same day, and repeat many flights).

I think I've decided on Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan. It's the first stop on our trip and if we have a really good time we could add on an additional tour at the other ports through the ship. :)

I think I've decided on Southeast Sea Kayaks in Ketchikan. It's the first stop on our trip and if we have a really good time we could add on an additional tour at the other ports through the ship. :)

The kayak tours do go out in rain, so I recommend you be certain to take the proper attire. Nothing worse than been wet and cold, trapped on a lengthy tour.

I'm a firm advocate of "living for today". :) I don't put off my priorities.

I hear what you are saying... I'm just concerned about stamina. We have a 5 hour tour already scheduled that day and not sure if we'll be up for a few hours of kayaking also.