Car Rental in San Diego

WayneFougere

Does anyone have a preference for a car rental for a few hours in San Diego? It seems none pickup or drop off at the terminal. Most advice suggests a taxi to an airport car rental agency. If that's my best choice, it will be a taxi back to the ship as well.

I'd enjoy hearing advice from anyone that had such an experience.

Why not live it up and have a driver pick you up right at the dock. you will gain about an extra hour of site seeing time in San Diego.

While a driver is an interesting idea, I'm not actually interested in sightseeing per se. Instead, I have a goal in mind. I want to spend an hour or so looking at the architecture at Torrey Pines (and I suppose we'll have lunch there before returning to the ship).

I suspect a driver will be somewhat pricey; but, if you have a contact I'll check it out. On the other hand, I love driving and hate being a passenger.

We rented from Enterprise. There are 2 locations near port. We were staying at hotel right by post. We walked to get the car, used it for the day and they drove us back. Check them out.

I'll check them out. Thank you. Which one did you use?

Why don't you think about doing the Old town trolley, leaving the driving to someone else. You can hop on and off or just stay on for the tour of the City. You can get it right outside the SD cruise terminal and it goes to all the interesting place in SD. We've done it many times. Below is the link for information on the Tour.

Old Town Trolley Tour | SanDiego.com

Why don't you think about doing the Old town trolley, leaving the driving to someone else. You can hop on and off or just stay on for the tour of the City. You can get it right outside the SD cruise terminal and it goes to all the interesting place in SD. We've done it many times. Below is the link for information on the Tour.

Old Town Trolley Tour | SanDiego.com

While that certainly sounds interesting, it's not what I want. I should have been more specific in my original post. I want to see Torrey Pines. I suspect the trolley doesn't go there.

While that certainly sounds interesting, it's not what I want. I should have been more specific in my original post. I want to see Torrey Pines. I suspect the trolley doesn't go there.

Oh sorry, I think you were pacific enough, just thought I would give you an alternative. Torrey Pines is a beautiful area, especially if your a golfer.

LITTLE ITALY

2305 PACIFIC HWY

SAN DIEGO, CA 92101-1746

Tel.: (619) 294-7774

This is the one we used. We did walk since it was early and would have to wait about 45 min for them to pick us up. It was Fri morning and busy. They were very nice and helpful there.

You can use any of the car rental agencies at the airport. San Diego airport is minutes from the pier. There is a city bus that leaves the airport and runs along Harbor Drive also.

I guess you could drop the car off and catch the Wyndham shuttle bus- Wyndham is directly across the street from Cruise terminal.

We are arriving on Saturday and staying at the Wyndham. We will drop our car off Monday evening and walk over to the terminal Tuesday morning. Is great waking up in the morning and looking across the street at the bow of the ship.

If you look down at the ocean from the gliderport area at Torrey Pines you will find the clothing optional beach :eek:

We have rented from Hertz at the airport several times. Afterwards they dropped us off at the pier to catch our ship - no issues at all and they seemed happy to do it. The pier is only about one mile from the Hertz office.

DaveOKC

While a driver is an interesting idea, I'm not actually interested in sightseeing per se. Instead, I have a goal in mind. I want to spend an hour or so looking at the architecture at Torrey Pines (and I suppose we'll have lunch there before returning to the ship).

I suspect a driver will be somewhat pricey; but, if you have a contact I'll check it out. On the other hand, I love driving and hate being a passenger.

We use drivers to pick us up and it does cost more. Hey - Is the captain letting you have a turn driving vs. being a passenger? **** Just teasing!*** I think you will enjoy seeing Torrey Pines. Have a great voyage!

We use Avis regularly in San Diego. It and Hertz are a little closer to the terminal than the others and can get you going quicker. I can usually get a good deal on an Avis rental.

As was mentioned with Hertz, Avis will zip you over to the port after you drop off the car, I've been told by their staff (which I asked about when I booked a San Diego cruise).

At worst case, the port would be a very short taxi ride, a little more than a mile.

Torrey Pines is a beautiful area, especially if your a golfer.

Unfortunately, I don't golf. I'm an architect in Vancouver and I'd like to see how successful the Torrey Pines architect was in their interpretation of Greene and Greene architecture.

We booked with Avis in San Diego. ( dh gets a good discount thru his employer) They will pick up at the port but we had to wait what seemed like forever for them to arrive. In retrospect it would have been better to cab it.

Thank you. I'll call them tomorrow. I don't mind taking a taxi to get the car but wouldn't mind if they dropped me back at the ship.

I live in San Diego and when I need a rental car, I use Enterprise. They will pick you up and drop you off. Try to use a location away from the airport as there are additional taxes added for airport locations. When getting a price quote, make sure taxes are included.

• 1 month later...
If you look down at the ocean from the gliderport area at Torrey Pines you will find the clothing optional beach :eek:

I forgot about this comment when we visited! Regardless, i didn't have enough time anyway. We did have a great meal at the Lodge at Torrey Pines.

I use Dollar Rental in San Diego. There location is about a 12 to 15 minute walk from the pier depending on which pier the ship comes in to. About 5 blocks north and 1 block east and they have good rates. When sailing out of San Diego I usually drop off the DW with the luggage at the pier, take the car back to the rental agency and then walk back to the ship

We rented from Enterprise. There are 2 locations near port. We were staying at hotel right by post. We walked to get the car, used it for the day and they drove us back. Check them out.

The Enterprice Rent A Car on the PCH near the port was great. We stayed 2 days prior our cruise, picked a veh and saw the sites and when we returned the veh we were driven to the port. Highly recommend them.

Derek

We go to San Diego often to visit our son. We've always found that Thrifty is the cheapest. Go directly to their site and click on hot deals. You will find the cheapest prices there. If you sign up for their Blue Chip program (free) you can get your car without waiting in line.