Cruise Line Changes itinerary --- passengers upset

firerunner

I have read both articles several times, and I'm trying to figure out why these families are being insulted. Called selfish, bad parents, etc.

The only reason I see is they expected some compensation, which they did not get, rightly so, from Carnival, so they choose to air it through the media, which was wrong.

No where in the article do they state the recue should not have occurred. It's quoted they were happy to be part of they experience and was glad to help someone out.

Can't we focus on the fact they did not understand the contract instead of throwing stones.

Since you second paragraph answered your first paragraph, I'm trying to figure out the reason for the post. :confused:

I must say that as a teacher I find these people's reaction to rescuing migrants to be disgusting. It is evident that these people have little knowledge of the policies and responsibilities of the cruise lines. I would have used this opportunity for a lesson in class. What other ports did the cruise visit? it is sad that many people in the world today have no regards for others.

Let me first say that Carnival did the right thing by saving the Cubans.

Now saying that, it appears that if I understand it correctly, this ended up being a 7 day cruise, and the only ports of call were the Bahamas.

If Carnival tried to advertise for such a cruise (Bahamas port only), no one would go as the Bahamas are an awful itinerary.

So even though the terms and conditions state itineraries could change without compensation, they need to look at what their customers received in terms of Cruise offered, and then consider some kind of compensation in this case. In this case, I would say that Cozumel was the draw for this cruise (not the Bahamas stop).

So again, it was the right thing to stop and rescue the Cubans, and it would be the right thing for some type of compensation.

Just my opinion.

Edited by LuckyZ

So 41 people should die so that they can get to Cozumel to show their kids what fun and excursion can be? UN FLIPPIN BELIEVABLE...I hope they are never in need of help to save their lives and the potential rescuers ignore them...Carnival did the right thing and I'm sure any other cruise line would have done exactly the same..

Does anyone know if the ship visited ports prior to picking up the stranded people? I am thinking the ship may have already visited Roatan and/or Belize.

There is another post on this same incident right now on the board from someone who was on the cruise. According to them, the ship "was a 4 day trip. Mon- Miami, Tues- Key West, Wed- Cozumel, Thur- Day at Sea and Fri morning was home."

This happened after leaving Key West.

Let me first say that Carnival did the right thing by saving the Cubans.

Now saying that, it appears that if I understand it correctly, this ended up being a 7 day cruise, and the only ports of call were the Bahamas.

If Carnival tried to advertise for such a cruise (Bahamas port only), no one would go as the Bahamas are an awful itinerary.

So even though the terms and conditions state itineraries could change without compensation, they need to look at what their customers received in terms of Cruise offered, and then consider some kind of compensation in this case. In this case, I would say that Cozumel was the draw for this cruise (not the Bahamas stop).

So again, it was the right thing to stop and rescue the Cubans, and it would be the right thing for some type of compensation.

Just my opinion.

Did it end up being a 7 day cruise? I've read a couple of articles and a post from someone who was on the ship and haven't seen that suggested. Also from what I understand they visited Key West as scheduled. The only other stop was supposed to be Cozumel that, instead was Nassau.

What a sickening sense of entitlement. The kids "didn't have any fun and then they didn't get to do what they planned on doing. So it was a terrible experience" whines one of the dads.

Let's see, if you look at the second link posted, you can see that two of the five kids are so young that they probably won't remember much if any of the cruise. Whether or not they had fun is more contingent on their parents than on anything they did or didn't get to do. It's not like there's a shortage of things for little kids to do on a cruise ship.

The older three look old enough to understand that sometimes things happen to disrupt plans, and while that's disappointing, alternate plans that are just as fun can often be made, and even if they can't, SAVING LIVES is more important than having fun. What a great teachable moment this could have been for them. Instead their parents are using them as props to whine.

I hope Carnival gives them NOTHING.

I did not read this in either article.

They were upset about the itinerary change, which they need to understand happens. They should not have aired their grievances in the media thinking it would change Carnivals policies. That is the only mistake they made.

They are idiots for taking to the media that they plan to dispute Carnival's actions. They are the very definition of believing the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

What a sickening sense of entitlement. The kids "didn't have any fun and then they didn't get to do what they planned on doing. So it was a terrible experience" whines one of the dads.

Let's see, if you look at the second link posted, you can see that two of the five kids are so young that they probably won't remember much if any of the cruise. Whether or not they had fun is more contingent on their parents than on anything they did or didn't get to do. It's not like there's a shortage of things for little kids to do on a cruise ship.

The older three look old enough to understand that sometimes things happen to disrupt plans, and while that's disappointing, alternate plans that are just as fun can often be made, and even if they can't, SAVING LIVES is more important than having fun. What a great teachable moment this could have been for them. Instead their parents are using them as props to whine.

I hope Carnival gives them NOTHING.

Well said, BeagleOne.

If the shoe were on the other foot, if this family were on the Cuban refugee boat and needed rescue, there is no way they would want Carnival to not render aid. It was the right thing to do.

And I agree with the other posters who said if there was ever a life lesson to be taught to your kids this would be it.

Edited by delerium98

Since 2 of the parents were teachers, this was a lesson for their children.

"Children, I realize that we planned on doing a great excursion in Mexico, but since it took so long to rescue the people, we will not being going to the planned destination.

I am sure we will have a great time wherever we go. Sorry, but sometimes things just turn out how we plan and this is one of many you will experience in you lifetime."

Edited by retiredgram

I do feel sorry for the couples' kids, but not because they didn't get to Cozumel.

Where's the "like" button when you need it.

This story makes my blood boil.

I wonder what they told their students.

They want an apology? I'm sorry that they are self centered and are not concerned that these people took a non seaworthy craft to try to help their children to a better life in the USA like these two families have the privilege of having.

I didn't watch the video so I don't know if it was addressed but if they purchased their excursion for Cozumel through Carnival they would have received a refund right?

Any outside excursion, not through Carnival, that I have taken I never had to pay till I showed up. That way if something happens and the ship doesn't dock I'm not out any money. That happened to me in 2010 when high wind prevented us from going to Roatan so we didn't get to do our Victor Boden tour.

This is sad. They paid for a cruise period. Itinerary was a plan and not guarantee. They need to get over it. They had a week away from work and the real world. I would rather a week away onboard going anywhere than at home.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Ok, so I read all the posts here. I really wish there was a like button.

Carnival should not paid them a dime, let them sue and when Carnival wins, make the family pay their legal fees. These people are looking for an easy buck, that can easily be read between the lines of the articles. They are due nothing and I would be concern if one of the teachers was teaching my child. I would wonder if I can actually trust them not to show my child being selfish is better then serving others.

The parents could have used this as an opportunity to teach their children that anything can happen to change plans and we have to learn to roll with them. Instead they are teaching them that if they do not get their way, whine and cry to get money.

I remember when I read this article a while back, a local station (here in Baltimore) did a story on the safety of cruises and disease. I was upset they would post that, but not discuss the rescuing of 41 people.

In the end, they are owe nothing. They can complain the other island was not kid friendly, but they are liars. There is a lot they could have done, but they rather have a temper tantrum them be mature adults.

Also when I voted on the poll, 25% said that a cruise ship should NOT assist people and 11% was unsure. Those are sad sad sad numbers. To be honest, no one should even be unsure at all.

This is only a prime example of what is wrong with people, especially here in the US (my opinion).

Sad part is, I doubt we will every hear if a lawsuit is filed or if there is a settlement out of court. I wish more large businesses would just pay people money then slam their lies in their face and make them pay a large legal bill.

These people are doing a great disservice to their children by not teaching them that life is full of disappointments. Poor, selfish kids who are on a cruise when other kids go to bed hungry, are so upset that they didn't go swimming with the dolphins. Darn good thing .... don't pollute the water with so much nastiness.

They don't usually give compensation if they substitute a different island destination. I was going on cruises that required a change due to hurricanes. It's just one of those things you have to be willing to expect when going on a cruise. Destination is not guaranteed. I do find it odd that the people thought there was any destination in Mexico that would be more expensive than the Bahamas. A cruise to any Southern Caribbean port including Mexico is usually much cheaper than one to Nausau.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

They don't usually give compensation if they substitute a different island destination. I was going on cruises that required a change due to hurricanes. It's just one of those things you have to be willing to expect when going on a cruise. Destination is not guaranteed. I do find it odd that the people thought there was any destination in Mexico that would be more expensive than the Bahamas. A cruise to any Southern Caribbean port including Mexico is usually much cheaper than one to Nausau.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

WHAT?! You had to have your ports changed due to a hurricane? I bet Carnival designed that hurricane specifically to alter the route of the ship. Surely you received a full refund and free cruises for life due to this tragic event. :D /sarcasm

They better be careful on how they approach the CPT and crew. We were on a cruise to Bermuda that was rerouted to Canada. Some of the people started yelling at the CPT at the embarkation port and he put them off the ship completely with no refund(although they may have ultimately relented on this). They did recalculate the port charges and we were refunded a few dollars. But we actually had a great time...