Cruising during holiday season - pros and cons?

OrionCruiser

:) My wife and I are considering a cruise over the December holidays. Interested in hearing any pros and cons to doing so. What should we expect? We have a couple kids, 11 and 7, and want to make sure they have fun. May wait until after Christmas - sail before New Year's? Any insights appreciated.

This is the most expensive time of year to sail. The Kid's Club will be over run (800 kids). If you sail over Christmas, Santa comes and gives out presents. They have turkey ect on menu. Egg nog will be available. I

If you sail over New Year's, they have a count down. Champange is served for mid-night, hats ect. Kid's club over run again.

Problems, sometimes if you are at an island things are closed (holiday after all). Same for 1 Jan. Fly in day before as flights are crowded/overbooked. Hotels cost more. If you miss your flight for any reason, (ship gets in late, someone holds up immigration ect) your chances of getting another flight will be slim to nothing and very, very expensive.

Advice if you do go book your flights to leave a little later then 1:00 pm it gives you a little leeway. Come in day before cruise, less stress. Be ready for a zoo for the kids in the club. Enjoy.

we did DCL with the kids 11 & 15 leaving couple of days after after Christmas and being at sea for New Years.

The kids say the best of 7 DCL's..even spending Christmas in a hotel so we could head down a day early & do a couple of days at the park on the way.

we booked it late...I didn't say we got a deal ... but we did book it at less than 6 months.

We'd do it again.

We sailed from NY to the southern caribbean during December last year and really enjoyed it. NCL had Catholic and Jewish religious services each day for those who were interested in participating. The ship was decorated beautifully. We did end up back in NY a few days before Xmas, but my daughter said she really missed being home that close to Xmas. Next year we will be cruising from NY during Thanksgiving. We'll be home in plenty of time for the Xmas season.

Hola,

A tightwad here with a little heads up. Check the prices a week or two before Christmas. They are usually the cheapest of the year. I browse the online TA sites weekly and my favorite time to book is around Christmas or early January. The week of Christmas is usually priced twice as high.:eek:

we've always cruised during the christmas break (usually the 26th). this year we're cruising on the serenade dec. 24th. there are 8 of us (2 families). for a cruise that is supposed to be full or at least almost full......no one has responded to my many posts looking for fellow passengers. for some reason......(could be the price) i don't think this cruise will book until the last minute. we booked a year in advance when we were on our last cruise.

Last week I booked six cabins on Galaxy for an 11 night Panama Canal cruise. I didn't have any problems getting the cabins I wanted, and only paid $1,060 pp for the inside cabins on Deck 9. This cruise goes from the 29th of December through the 9th of January. Did I get a bad price? Also, are the kids clubs really over run on such a long cruise that extends past their school holidays? We are taking our 4 and 8 year old, but I don't want them to get "lost in the shuffel" in the youth activities.

Archived