Advise Needed - Vatican Tour Before Scavi Tour

LEtue

I have been able to piece together a lot of information here about Vatican and Scavi Tours but I have a schedule question.

My Scavi Tour is scheduled for 3:30 pm so I want to schedule my Vatican Tour first. Since the Vatican Tour ends with independent time in St Peter's it should make getting to the meeting place for the Scavi Tour fairly easy - right?

How much time should I allow in between tours? Does it seem logical that I can end the Vatican Tour 1/2 hour before the Scavi or should I allow more time?

From a purely logistical standpoint, you should be fine. You can exit St. Peter's and be at the Swiss Guards' station in about 5 minutes. But also keep in mind that you are encouraged to check in about 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled Scavi tour time. You'll need to decide if you will have enough time to look around St. Peters -- is it included in your tour, or the tour just ends there and you look around on your own?

Of course, you can always go back to the basilica after your Scavi tour.

From a purely logistical standpoint, you should be fine. You can exit St. Peter's and be at the Swiss Guards' station in about 5 minutes. But also keep in mind that you are encouraged to check in about 10 minutes ahead of your scheduled Scavi tour time. You'll need to decide if you will have enough time to look around St. Peters -- is it included in your tour, or the tour just ends there and you look around on your own?

Of course, you can always go back to the basilica after your Scavi tour.

Thanks so much for responding and I love all your posts!

My tour actually ends in the Sistine Chapel and you exit directly to St Peter's to continue on your own. So as you say I could do more of St Peter's after the Scavi Tour.

Glad to hear that I can walk to the start in about 5 minutes so being there for the required 10 minutes before won't be a problem :) I have only been to St Peter's once and I remember the square being huge!

Thanks so much for responding and I love all your posts!

My tour actually ends in the Sistine Chapel and you exit directly to St Peter's to continue on your own. So as you say I could do more of St Peter's after the Scavi Tour.

Glad to hear that I can walk to the start in about 5 minutes so being there for the required 10 minutes before won't be a problem :) I have only been to St Peter's once and I remember the square being huge!

If your 30 minute "clock" to get to the Scavi tour starts while you are still in the Sistine, then I'd allow 10 minutes -- you have to leave the Sistine through the "short cut" and walk through a long corridor to reach the portico of the basilica. From there, you can take a peek inside St. Peters but wouldn't really have time to see much. When you leave the Basilica, you'll exit to the right (with the basilica behind you) and that is also the same side where the entrance to the Scavi tour office is located.

(And thanks for your kind words...!)

I have a similar question, as our Scavi tour is at 3pm. We'll probably want to go up to the Cupola before the Scavi tour. About how much time should we allow for that, particularly if we decide to climb to the very top (taking the elevator to the first level)?

And I concur with the OP about Cruisemom's posts and help!

(this will be in late Oct., so not the height of tourist season, if that helps)

Thanks!

If your 30 minute "clock" to get to the Scavi tour starts while you are still in the Sistine, then I'd allow 10 minutes -- you have to leave the Sistine through the "short cut" and walk through a long corridor to reach the portico of the basilica. From there, you can take a peek inside St. Peters but wouldn't really have time to see much. When you leave the Basilica, you'll exit to the right (with the basilica behind you) and that is also the same side where the entrance to the Scavi tour office is located.

(And thanks for your kind words...!)

Good to know. I can go directly to the Scavi Tour and leave the basilica for after if necessary. I am doing a shorter Vatican Tour this trip so I should be done in the Sistine Chapel by 2 PM.

Edited by LEtue