Willie Aames resigns as CD

WesW

that so many, many regent crew members are leaving? I have never had a less than wonderful experience with crew. We are sorry to hear of this trend. I have, every so often, taken a look at Viking but it has always been so much easier to stick with what we are used to......and mostly very happy with. This news is too bad.

that so many, many regent crew members are leaving? I have never had a less than wonderful experience with crew. We are sorry to hear of this trend. I have, every so often, taken a look at Viking but it has always been so much easier to stick with what we are used to......and mostly very happy with. This news is too bad.

It isn't "so many, many" but some Regent officers and crew members have left for better benefits (as explained above). Two F&B Directors have left, two C.D.'s. When Paul Reynolds left it was for a huge promotion (the same with at least one F&B Director). Also, on Viking they get free internet and paid vacation. If this becomes a problem for Regent, they will likely become more competitive.

He joins many, many Regent crew and officers that are now on Viking Ocean. Too bad that most of us will never sail on that cruise line.

I should have used the "quote" feature. sorry....I'm afraid to ask why about most of us will never sail on that cruise line. After a bumpy start, it seems like quite a few people are sailing on that cruise line and saying nice things.

Although passengers we have spoken with are not interested in Viking Ocean (not even one of them), if Regent prices keep skyrocketing, there will be some passengers looking at Oceania, Azamara, and Viking Ocean. Prices on Oceania are so low that we were able to get a 1,000+ square foot suite with the premium alcohol package and unlimited internet for less than Regent in a smaller suite. Still prefer Regent. We have two Explorer cruises booked in large suites for a price that is close to Oceania's. Regent still has some deals out there.

In terms of the latest price increase, it makes sense to me to raise prices on well selling itineraries. After all, if an itinerary is not selling well, it won't sell better if you raise the price.

With price increases on Regent, maybe twice a year? It all make sense. Some rates are not so low. Some do have budgets. Some do not. 1000sq ft + large suite with unlimited alcohol, always a plus, for those in need. Of course the food? Subjective. Internet, mostly free any way, unlimited excursions, free? tips of course. The cost keeps going up but the song remains the same.

Alas, I'm stuck in veranda cabins. On the Navigator. OMG for a week.😕

Not that bad. Just saying. It must be nice. Hope the new year continues to be prosperous.

NCLH 2016 like..

With price increases on Regent, maybe twice a year? It all make sense. Some rates are not so low. Some do have budgets. Some do not. 1000sq ft + large suite with unlimited alcohol, always a plus, for those in need. Of course the food? Subjective. Internet, mostly free any way, unlimited excursions, free? tips of course. The cost keeps going up but the song remains the same.

Alas, I'm stuck in veranda cabins. On the Navigator. OMG for a week.😕

Not that bad. Just saying. It must be nice. Hope the new year continues to be prosperous.

NCLH 2016 like..

When I was posting about the 1000+ sq. ft. suite on Oceania, I forgot to mention tips. They were included as well internet - only because it was an Oceania promotion that lasted a very short time. I know that Oceania has some kind of program with included excursions now but they didn't when we sailed with them. Their excursions were over the top expensive.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with a veranda suite on the Navigator. Actually we have been in a veranda suite on all three ships. The Navigator and Voyager were very comfortable and well-laid out. Unfortunately, the Veranda suite on the Mariner was not acceptable to my DH (who, by the way, is the reason we get larger suites -- I'm happy with anything).

We have cut back on cruises for 2016 but do have one booked for November and also March 2017. Really happy with the pricing on the Explorer for these two cruises that are selling extremely well. We look forward to sailing on the Explorer.

Enjoy your Navigator cruise!

fizzy, Responding to your post on the closed thread. We absolutely rely on people like you. Our sitters are so loving to our two corgis that we sometimes wonder who is their main squeeze.

May I strenuously encourage you to go to the South African game lodge. DW and I couldn't believe the effort to get there and yet we now consider it one of the best trips ever and we are in our mid-70s.

fizzy, Responding to your post on the closed thread. We absolutely rely on people like you. Our sitters are so loving to our two corgis that we sometimes wonder who is their main squeeze.

May I strenuously encourage you to go to the South African game lodge. DW and I couldn't believe the effort to get there and yet we now consider it one of the best trips ever and we are in our mid-70s.

for your kind words. I so enjoy following along as people write about their safari experience. I look at the photos of the camp my friends have and even random pictures from other travel sites. I can't yet take enough time off for a big travel commitment, even for free. I actually babysit for a couple of Corgis, Rugby and Beezer, who continue to mystify their big lab sister, Butterball. Corgis have the wildest little voices!

We recently sailed on a Viking Ocean Cruise after taking a river cruise with them. In both cases, I'd have to say that (no flaming please) Viking is an aspirational choice for folks that normally cruise Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Lots of stateroom key cards on lanyards around the neck if you get my drift.

While the overall ship is lovely and new, in some respects it is over designed. For example, the pool cafe does not have sufficient room to accommodate a typical lunchtime crowd, particularly compared to a Regent ship where dining outdoors during the day is almost the norm. The ship's main dining room is low-ceilinged and quite plain, almost as boring as the menus. The lunchtime buffet (indoors, because there was never any room at the pool cafe) offered cafeteria-level dining, sometimes ok, most often not. The Chef's Table restaurant was an over-produced video affair that offered mediocre dining at best. The one bright spot in dining was the Italian restaurant... good luck getting in.

Staterooms, if you splurge for a suite, are well designed and functional. Except for lighting which for some reason is either "all on" or "all off" making brightness the norm if you want to watch TV with a light on while your DP sleeps on the other side of the curtain. We heard about one passenger who was subjected to injuries from a shattered glass shower stall, so what looks pretty is not always functional. The regular staterooms are quite petite and wouldn't work for more than a 7-day trip. (that's pushing it)

We did see and talk to Paul Reynolds aboard and he certainly did a great job! So sorry to lose him to Viking from Regent. I would love to see him on the Explorer when we are aboard this fall! He's the best!

Edited by TPAtravelfan
missing word

TPAtravelfan: Thank you so much for the review of Viking Ocean Cruises - very interesting indeed. I believe that they are in competition with Azamara and Oceania but they have done a good job of offering generous positions, salary and benefits to Regent officers and crew and convincing them to work for Viking. Sure do miss Paul Reynolds.

From reading the website, it did not seem like the right "fit" for us. Had to laugh about the "stateroom key cards on lanyards" - they are a dead giveaway (did see a couple on our Regent cruise).;)