Getaway or Sunshine...help me decide!

jgallow

Hey all. We are big NCL fans who have done our past 2 cruises on the Carnival Dream(love sailing out of Port Canaveral). We are finally taking our first vacation since having our little one (she won't be going) and are trying to decide if we should stay booked on the Sunshine over new years, or take the getaway 3 weeks later in January of 2015. Anybody sailed on one or both? I love the idea of cruising over new years but we'd also really like to get back to NCL and the getaway would save us about 700 dollars total. HELP!

I can't help you otherwise than by saying that $700 buys you a lot of things during the vacation - you could almost pay the drink package for two with that kind of money. ;)

We are sailing on Getaway in couple of weeks and while I wasn't thrilled by Epic (and by the idea of megaships in general), I'm now actually waiting for the cruise and being able to see how the Getaway feels and how the improvements NCL has made after the experiences on Epic will seem. :)

Isn't Sunshine a (very) old Carnival ship that they redid (some say successfully, some say not). It's the old Destiny. A ship with a bad reputation. That's one reason Carnival changed her name. She's not anywhere near as nice as the Dream is.

Edited by mafig

Would not be a difficult choice for me at all! Take the extra cash and make a quick "Getaway"! We loved the ship. I can't imagine that old Carnival ship could even begin to compare with all that Getaway has to offer.

Edited by punkincc

Yes, Sunshine is the refitted Destiny, which I think must be around 20 years old. Have they made significant improvements? I'm confused as to how it can be more expensive than Getaway, even though Carnival bills it as a new ship.

No question for me, I'd take saving money and sailing on a brand new ship any day.

Just my opinion and mine alone...

I would definitely go with the Getaway for many reasons. Saving $700 alone is worth it to me. Plus it's a brand new ship and has all the bells and whistles on it. The Sunshine is a much older ship that was just redone with new bells and whistles.

Another problem, if you are on the Carnival board, once they released this "new" Sunshine, there are just tons and tons of multiple complaints about the ship. One of them is that since they redone the ship and created more rooms (?) or less space (?) that the ship is so packed and uncomfortable.

I myself enjoyed our Dream cruise (which was my first Carnival cruise last year) and I like the ships with all the bells and whistles. I want to try the Magic or Breeze just because of that. After they redid the Sunshine, I wanted to try it...however, I'm not booking it until some positive reviews come in because there's a lot of unhappy people when it comes to that ship.

Looking at the reviews coming in on the Getaway, they all seem to be very positive. :)

We were booked on Sunshine this June. I kept watching and reading the reviews on Sunshine. I usually take reviews with a grain of salt, however, Sunshines reviews kept dropping. I cancelled in November and booked the Getaway. Looks like a good choice. Sunshine is 62%, Getaway at 89%

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Isn't Sunshine a (very) old Carnival ship that they redid (some say successfully, some say not). It's the old Destiny. A ship with a bad reputation. That's one reason Carnival changed her name. She's not anywhere near as nice as the Dream is.

Yes, lipstick on a pig. Give Carnival credit for foolling a good portion of the masses.

Hey all. We are big NCL fans who have done our past 2 cruises on the Carnival Dream(love sailing out of Port Canaveral). We are finally taking our first vacation since having our little one (she won't be going) and are trying to decide if we should stay booked on the Sunshine over new years, or take the getaway 3 weeks later in January of 2015. Anybody sailed on one or both? I love the idea of cruising over new years but we'd also really like to get back to NCL and the getaway would save us about 700 dollars total. HELP!

I would choose NCL over Carnival with NO savings. If Getaway is going to save you $700, I have no clue why you'd even ask this question :)