Ladies pant suit on forma night?

carolene

I'm booked for a June crossing on the Queen Mary 2. We have 2 formal nights with balls and two formal nights without balls. Would a nice ladies pant suit be appropriate for the formal nights with balls? (a mother of the bride type pant suit)

For the formal nights without balls, would dress pants and nice blouse be acceptable?

Thank you for any help.

Sometimes straight from the horse's mouth is useful ; -)

On formal nights, passengers wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden. Please be respectful by avoiding the more formal areas of the ship, including our Alternate Dining restaurants. Please note that after 6pm, shorts, blue or worn denim (for men and women), sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within any of the ship’s public areas.

FORMAL: Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen’s formal wear is available to hire on board. Evening or cocktail dress for ladies.

INFORMAL: Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or stylish separates for ladies. No jeans or shorts. Please see below examples of dress code per cruise. This is a guide only and variations may occur.

I suspect myself that a pantsuit that qualifies as MOB attire will look plenty dressy ; -)

Sara

I understand the verbiage on Cunard website regarding dress and appreciate those who have cited it.

I was just sharing observations from my 5 QM2 crossings and 28-day segment on the QM2 and a 36-day segment on the Elizabeth.

From my observations: some ladies do wear formal-looking pants (trousers, if you are English) with "fancy tops" on formal nights.

My interpretation of "mother of the bride" suit is formal-looking attire, just with formal-looking pants.

Possibly my interpretation is incorrect.

Here are photos of a couple ladies who wore trousers (which they--not I-- decided were appropriate as formal wear).

On the QM2 (top photo on the left. I think this is a Cunard advertisement, not "real passengers" Note it says "formal night")

http://www.pinterest.com/cunardline/relax-at-sea-on-board-queen-mary-2/

These photos are from QV (lady in white to the left of the man in the kilt) http://www.reviewfromthehouse.com/travel-blogues/ballroom-dance-cruising-round-british-isles/day-8-formal-night-pictures

Here is just photos of real people along with Cunard advertisements representative of formal nights on QM2. Some people might be thought more attractive than others (particularly those in advertisements), but none of these ladies, in my estimation, should have been thrown overboard for dressing inappropriately. https://www.google.com/search?q=formal+night+qm2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nbQ4U5DhOvLjsATAuIGYCA&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1186&bih=568

I guess I answered quickly without really knowing exactly what your clothing looks like. But, I am not a member of the fashion police. I'm just someone who has had some experience with formal nights on the QM2 and wanted to be helpful.

If you think your mother-of-the-bride suit would fit in with the clothing you see in these photos, Carolene, please bring it and wear it!

I'm now going to walk the plank for being foolish enough to voice an opinion (any opinion) on the topic of clothing…

Happy Sailing All!

I'm now going to walk the plank for being foolish enough to voice an opinion (any opinion) on the topic of clothing…

Happy Sailing All!

Did I miss something..........Your answer was exactly right in my opinion.......but then we all know about opinions...:D

IMO the ops question can be easily replied without "incoming fire"

The described pants are not strictly according to the dresscode.

Even though it may be acceptable by wider audiences and there will be likely no problem entering the public areas.

This year, we even saw someone wearing dark blue denim jeans together with a jacket on a formal night on the QE and some dark denim jacket as well.

Nobody showed them the door on that formal night.

Edited by Yoshikitty

I'm booked for a June crossing on the Queen Mary 2. We have 2 formal nights with balls and two formal nights without balls. Would a nice ladies pant suit be appropriate for the formal nights with balls? (a mother of the bride type pant suit)

For the formal nights without balls, would dress pants and nice blouse be acceptable?

Thank you for any help.

My informal is probably not quite as informal as other's interpretation but having been to two very formal US weddings and seen MoB type, beautiful formal 'pant suits' I would say if yours are as elegantly dressy as the ones I saw then yes, you will be OK.

I wear black cocktail trousers with fabulous silk brocade designer jackets on formal nights occasionally and they have hit the mark. I have to add we don't go to the balls.

I would go with dress pants and floaty silky top rather than 'blouse' for the informal evenings. Blouse sounds a bit 'day wear', but then I don't know your definition of 'blouse'.

My informal is probably not quite as informal as other's interpretation but having been to two very formal US weddings and seen MoB type, beautiful formal 'pant suits' I would say if yours are as elegantly dressy as the ones I saw then yes, you will be OK.

I wear black cocktail trousers with fabulous silk brocade designer jackets on formal nights occasionally and they have hit the mark. I have to add we don't go to the balls.

I would go with dress pants and floaty silky top rather than 'blouse' for the informal evenings. Blouse sounds a bit 'day wear', but then I don't know your definition of 'blouse'.

Can I also add, if you think your pant suit [some people don't take into consideration many ladies just don't wear dresses at all, to any occasion] is MoB attire, and you feel great in it, then wear it. Feeling great is half the battle in looking good.

Edited by Victoria2

Did I miss something..........Your answer was exactly right in my opinion.......but then we all know about opinions...:D

Thanks for your moral support, Brigitte.

I'll come in from the plank now. (Although the view of both the bridge and those outside elevators has been pretty good from out here ; )

I can see Carolene has only 12 posts and is new to Cunard.

Welcome Carolene! You will have a wonderful on the QM2. You will meet nice people. We always have.

I was just wondering what HRC (Hillary Rodham Clinton) would do on formal night since she has been a champion of the pant suit. Although she has attended formal night gala's at the White House in a gown.

Said as a joke sort of.

I remember seeing MOB type and beyond, pant suits on women on prior trips on Cunard and other lines. Some were very dressy looking and formal. I know some women friends of mine do no like to show ankle at all for some reason. This is their stated motivation regarding use of pant suits. :confused:

I was just wondering what HRC (Hillary Rodham Clinton) would do on formal night since she has been a champion of the pant suit. Although she has attended formal night gala's at the White House in a gown...

HRC always wore long formal dresses to formal White House events. The woman supposedly has zero interest in clothes but, to her credit, understands that one in her position must dress the part.

Carolene, you have unknowingly and unintentionally started a "dress code" thread. The only topic which generates more contentious responses here is smoking.

August will be my first crossing on the QM2. I have been wondering what sort of 'gear' I should take, so thanks to everyone for the input. I have "bat-wing" arms so will not be seen dead in a sleeveless gown and to go with the hip and knee replacements, flat sandals will have to be OK. I've been on several cruises with formal and informal nights and there have always been a great variety of outfits worn. I think this is where age may come in handy - no-one likes to hurt an old granny's feelings (well let's hope not)!'

HRC always wore long formal dresses to formal White House events. The woman supposedly has zero interest in clothes but, to her credit, understands that one in her position must dress the part.

Carolene, you have unknowingly and unintentionally started a "dress code" thread. The only topic which generates more contentious responses here is smoking.

HRC was/still is on the world stage and usually had the eyes of the world focused on her when at White House formal functions [we know because we see her photographs in the media] and I suppose in certain situations, it's easier to 'conform'.

Aren't we all lucky the eyes of the world aren't on us as we cruise the high seas. As long as everyone is enjoying their holiday, it shouldn't affect us as individuals if some passengers have a slightly [and I mean, slightly and not denims and shorts etc] different interpretation of a formal dress code.

Live and let live and enjoy the time on the best ships in the world.

Should any doubt remain about trouser suits for women on formal evenings:

"Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, [emphasis added] a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent." copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code