Review - Star Princess - March 5th, 2014 - Hawaii

RLK33853

We certainly are biased on this itinerary - but yes, you have made a great choice as long as you like sea days. For us this is a go to cruise (we will book it again in a year and will continue to do so every second year). This is the cruise for us when we just want to get away and relax.

Your review is greatly appreciated. My wife and I will be taking this cruise on the Star to Hawaii in November.We are booked in a Penthouse suite and have been reading the boards. You have confirmed that we made the right choice.

I took my mother-in-law, who was 80 at the time, on this same cruise. With her mobility issues, (bad knees and uses a walker) the Lotus pool was the easiest for her to access. Even though it's not an indoor pool, there is quite a bit of protection from the wind.

Thanks, ALL!

I thought the Lido deck pools wouldn't work for me. That's been true on the Ruby & Emerald.

I didn't realize that the Lotus Spa pool has steps; I usually stick w/the Terrace pool. I'll be sure to try the Lotus Spa pool too. And there's always the hot tubs.:)

General Impressions & Interesting Ship Facts

Internet: Best Internet we have ever had on a ship. Also the Internet Manager was great – I saw him continually helping people.

Production Shows – Princess has obviously put a little more effort and money into their shows. Both on the Star and the Coral (January) the Production Shows were great and we are not fans of Production Shows. This may change now that they have upped their game.

Comedians – We usually love the comedians on the ships – this time they failed miserably!!!!!

Hypnotist – He was very good.

Staff – Great Staff all through the ship. Bar staff couldn’t do enough for you. We usually find the longer the cruise, the better the staff - and this 15 day itinerary was no different.

Ports – These are great ports and are easy to get around on your own, with or without a vehicle. All are safe, things are close (not sure about Hilo other than the shuttles though), and you can walk without difficulty.

Dining Stats (497 Crew dedicated to providing the onboard dining experience)

1 Maitre d’Hotel, 1 Assistant Maitre d’Hotel, 9 Head Waiters, 9 Buffet Supervisors, 109 Waiters, 40 Assistant Waiters, 116 Buffet Stewards.

1 Chef, 1 Executive Sous Chef, 1 Chief Pastry Chef, 1 Chief Butcher, 1 Chief Baker, 1 Chef Assistant, 22 First Cooks, 3 First Pastry Chefs, 31 Second Cooks, 5 Second Pastry Chefs, 26 Third Cooks, 2 Third Pastry Chefs, 1 Food and Beverage Storekeeper, 2 Ice Carvers, 48 Assistant Cooks, 1 Galley Supervisor, 1 Assistant Galley Supervisor, 5 Assistant Provision, and 56 Galley Helpers.

Star Princess Fact Sheet

Propulsion Type: Diesel Electric – four D/E Sulzer 16 cylinder ZAV 40 S & two D/E Sulzer 12 cylinder ZAV 40 S (31 feet long by 17 high – weight 132 tons). Each set is turbo-charged, intercooled, air started and runs at a constant speed of 515 rpm. They are direct coupled to a Siemens synchronous generator. Each engine produces 11520 kw

Length – 950.2 feet

Width – 118 feet deck 8 and below, 132 feet at deck 9, and 165 feet at the bridge

Keel Thickness - .74”

Anchors – Port is 14 shackles and Starboard is 13 shackles (each shackle weighs 14 tonnes)

Maximum Speed – 23.5 knots

Cruising Speed – 22 knots

Turning Circle – 2300 feet

Crash Stop – 6430 ft – 5.5 minutes

Passenger Capacity – 3100

Crew – 1060

Staterooms – 1300 – 25 Suites/182 Mini-Suites/710 Balconies/28 ADA

Fuel Storage – 750,000 gallons

Fresh Water Capacity – 750,000 gallons

Propellers – Two off, 6 bladed (18.5 feet) diameter

Propeller Shaft – 24” diameter

Bow and Stern Thrusters – 8.5 feet in diameter

Stabilisers – retractable – two folding fins – length 24 feet, width 10 feet – 18 feet below waterline and are in line with the keel (they are usually deployed - retracted when below 9 knots)

Overall

We loved this cruise - both the itinerary and the ship/personnel were fabulous. Were there some things that could have been better - definitely. Were they deal breakers for us - absolutely not.

If anyone has any questions I am sure any one of us that were on the ship (ourselves, Jasperdo, Mary Ann 2) can answer them for you.

Happy Cruising!!!

Ray and Ann

Aloha Kakou,

Great review!! You taught me a thing or two about my own ship...and I lived on her for six months! Glad you enjoyed!

Malama Pono,

Dave

(Of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

No - thank you. You two are excellent!!! Everything you do on a daily basis is appreciated by so many people. As I already mentioned in the review, we never took part in any of your classes but we constantly saw you interacting with others and during your performances your enthusiasm was infectious. Great job.

Wow, this was an fantastic post. Loved your format and all the great information. I am on the Star in June out San Francisco R/T to Alaska. First cruise a very long time for myself and my DW first cruise. After reading about the ship tour I may have to try and save a bit more spending money because it sounds like something I would really like.

Thanks again!

Aloha Kakou,

Great review!! You taught me a thing or two about my own ship...and I lived on her for six months! Glad you enjoyed!

Malama Pono,

Dave

(Of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Hey Dave

Good to see you on this board......I wanted to thank you for playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow for me on this March 5th cruise. You and the wife do an incredible job !! I made a point to come listen to you guys in the atrium every time you were there playing. You made our cruise so much more enjoyable having you guys always do some kind of "Hawaii stuff" .

I saw you getting off the 20th when we were getting off.....were you going on vacation, or getting back on that day? I know you mentioned getting off soon and going on the Diamond the one day we were chatting.

Mahalo Nui Loa Dave.......you da man !!

I was on the Ultimate Ship Tour with you.

This was our first time to cruise to Hawaii. Though we love cruising, and did love seeing what we did on the Hawaiian Islands, we won't plan on cruising to Hawaii again. We did not think that we had enough time on the islands to fully enjoy them. If and when we ever go to Hawaii again, we will fly over and spend a week or two.

Just our view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We can certainly see your point. We have travelled to the islands just about every year since 1978 so this wasn't an issue for us, but it could be if you were trying to see a lot - you just wouldn't have the time. I guess the other way of looking at it would be this is a sampler and if you liked it you could return for a land based holiday, and if you didn't, you weren't stuck there for an extended time period.

That is why I always write the reviews when we return and include a line about our travel and preferences.

If nothing else it generates other readers to provide their views. Without everyone's thoughts - reviews can be one sided based on personal preference. Not everyone has the opportunity to travel pretty much every month, nor cruise three or four times a year (thus our preferences are not those of many others).

Thanks for taking the time to mention what we didn't - time on the islands. It could be very important to the next person. Mahalo.

My daughter and I are doing this itinerary in November, so I appreciate your review.

I was just wondering if the ship does a "drive-by" of an active volcano at night? I've read that NCL does this, but didn't know if it was something done by Princess.

My daughter and I are doing this itinerary in November, so I appreciate your review.

I was just wondering if the ship does a "drive-by" of an active volcano at night? I've read that NCL does this, but didn't know if it was something done by Princess.

No it doesn't. I read that on one cruise this year they missed Maui due to wind, and then they did the drive-by since there was time, but it isn't on the normal Princess itinerary.

Thankya for a great review!! Wasn't unabalanced at all. I loathe the all :mad: or all :D reviews.

We're contemplating the Star and HI and a question for all the folks who were on this cruise about the Star... she has milkshakes right?

It wouldn't be the deciding factor if she doesn't... but does she?

Thankya!

Derek

[quote name='Viesczy']Thankya for a great review!! Wasn't unabalanced at all. I loathe the all :mad: or all :D reviews.

We're contemplating the Star and HI and a question for all the folks who were on this cruise about the Star... she has milkshakes right?

It wouldn't be the deciding factor if she doesn't... but does she?

Thankya!

Derek[/QUOTE]

She has great milkshakes

[quote name='caitlyn20']My daughter and I are doing this itinerary in November, so I appreciate your review.

I was just wondering if the ship does a "drive-by" of an active volcano at night? I've read that NCL does this, but didn't know if it was something done by Princess.[/quote]

The volcano isn't always active enough to have the lava flows. We did a sail by on the Island Princess in 2005 and it was awesome. But then it was dripping lava into the ocean at that time.

[quote name='KBS1607']We are trying to decide whether to do the Ultimate Ship Tour. DH thinks it sounds a little long but I'm going to do it alone I think if he doesn't want to.[/QUOTE]

On our cruise to HI in April last year I was going it alone, DH didn't want any part of it. Until he saw I was actually going to go without him. Turns out he LOVED it. Like the OP, don't know if we'd do it again but definitely glad to do it once, interesting. And the goodies are pretty neat! Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Chick;42381351]The volcano isn't always active enough to have the lava flows. We did a sail by on the Island Princess in 2005 and it was awesome. But then it was dripping lava into the ocean at that time.[/QUOTE]

I read your review of your last Hawaii cruise. Thank you for sharing your experience. I was just sad the pictures have expired. Do you have them in an album somewhere?

[quote name='caitlyn20']I read your review of your last Hawaii cruise. Thank you for sharing your experience. I was just sad the pictures have expired. Do you have them in an album somewhere?[/quote]

Unfortunately I was using webshots, which got bought out by a company that didn't have the freebie option. I've saved the photos and uploaded to Photobucket but haven't had the chance to replace the photos with new links. Hopefully I can do that. My latest review (from the sailing we did in 2012/13) should have valid photos, but we didn't go by the volcano then or two years' prior.

The photos from our 2005/06 aren't on my Photobucket account and aren't on my computer. I should have them saved on a CD and should try to upload them to Photobucket. Maybe I'll get around to that soon.

After getting a late start in cruising my wife and i started yearly cruises on Princess in 2007 and got to Platinum status in 2012. We're booked for Alaska on Star next month. Age and health issues are catching up now and this may wind up being our last cruise; we wouldn't want noro to ruin it.
We've always eaten exclusively in the buffet in order to choose healthy items and select portion sizes so we don't waste food. But that will be foolish if we have a greater chance of getting sick by eating there.
With outbreaks on other ships, has Star gone to having crew do the serving in the buffet?
I know this has done after noro outbreaks on other ships, but my question is about whether this is being done prior to outbreaks as a preventative measure.
Thank you,
36rascal

[quote name='hilcadon']Your review is greatly appreciated. My wife and I will be taking this cruise on the Star to Hawaii in November.We are booked in a Penthouse suite and have been reading the boards. You have confirmed that we made the right choice.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]You will love the cruise and of course you will be spoiled beyond belief in the suite. Enjoy the "Breakfasts at Sabatini's". [/B]:eek:[/COLOR]
[quote name='RLK33853'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]We certainly are biased on this itinerary - but yes, you have made a great choice as long as you like sea days. For us this is a go to cruise (we will book it again in a year and will continue to do so every second year). This is the cruise for us when we just want to get away and relax. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]We did the Hawaiian Cruise on the Golden last spring and your review has brought back so many wonderful memories. :) Can't wait until we take it again! Thank you for allowing us to cruise with you through this review! :D[/B][/COLOR]

Thank you for taking the time to do such an in depth review of your cruise. :D

You did answer one of my questions about the ship tour and whether or not it was worth it and I do believe at least once it is. Perhaps on our next cruise to the islands.:)

DH and I totally enjoyed our first Princess cruise to the islands! We were wondering if it would be too much sea time however I had to drag my husband off the ship because he just wanted more!
Hopefully we will be doing it again next year.

Again, wonderful review. Thank you.