Maxi Skirts

AmandaBlue

I work with a petite gal and she wears maxi dresses all the time! She found strapless ones at SAMs (of all places!) in various colors last week. She wears a shrug with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by LaraTiara

Thanks for the idea - I love it! I love off the shoulder peasant tops so I will definitely try this! Do you have any favorite places to find the tops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim,

Believe or not, I've gotten several of mine from Forever 21 for $10 - $12 in lots of different colors over the last few years. I also get them at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and I've also picked up some in Mexico.

Also, for you petite ladies...TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and JC Penny all have petite/jr. selections in their stores. I'm only 5'4" so if I find a maxi that is too long and it doesn't have a waist I can roll up...I just were them with platform wedges.

Edited by mousey

Kim,

Believe or not, I've gotten several of mine from Forever 21 for $10 - $12 in lots of different colors over the last few years. I also get them at TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and I've also picked up some in Mexico.

Also, for you petite ladies...TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and JC Penny all have petite/jr. selections in their stores. I'm only 5'4" so if I find a maxi that is too long and it doesn't have a waist I can roll up...I just were them with platform wedges.

I may have to check out F21. I've never actually been in one. lol I think it makes me feel old because I'm 32. But I know people my age and older that shop there so I guess it shouldn't bother me. And for that price I'd even be willing to go into the mall!!!! (I despise the mall)

I may have to check out F21. I've never actually been in one. lol I think it makes me feel old because I'm 32. But I know people my age and older that shop there so I guess it shouldn't bother me. And for that price I'd even be willing to go into the mall!!!! (I despise the mall)

Don't be intimidated by the age thing...I'm 67 and I shop there a lot for tops and accessories. I tease my young niece that when I shop at Forever 21 with her, she's my "beard." LOL!:D I shop there alone all the time too. You do have to pick and choose and spend time there because there is no organization whatsoever in that store. :eek: I have bought lots of tops, skirts, dresses, purses, shoes, hats, scarves, and accessories there over the years. One thing I've never bought from Forever 21 is pants. They are just way too small for me. If you sewed both pant legs together it still wouldn't fit on one of my thighs. :eek:

I'm not sure if any of you ladies ever check out Pick Your Plum (daily deal website), but I noticed that today they have solid maxi skirts for $9.99 and striped maxi skirts for $12.99. I think shipping is $4.99.

I'm not sure if any of you ladies ever check out Pick Your Plum (daily deal website), but I noticed that today they have solid maxi skirts for $9.99 and striped maxi skirts for $12.99. I think shipping is $4.99.

Wow, this site sells out in a SNAP! Thank you for the recommendation. While I was on the site and updated the cart, the items became unavailable! Were all you CC ladies shopping...? ;-)

Two other fun fashion boutique-bargain sites - http://www.diamondsanddaisies.com and http://www.sassmystyle.com

Wow, this site sells out in a SNAP! Thank you for the recommendation. While I was on the site and updated the cart, the items became unavailable! Were all you CC ladies shopping...? ;-)

Two other fun fashion boutique-bargain sites - http://www.diamondsanddaisies.com and http://www.sassmystyle.com

Thanks for sharing these sites. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I just recently purchased my very first maxi skirt at dress barn this week! It is a black and tan chevron stripe, very soft smooth fabric. I plan to take it on my Sept. cruise to Bermuda. I will wear it twice, once with a black top and lightweight sweater and once with a beige top. I don't go sleeveless either.

I am a little nervous about wearing it, I hope I can pull it off. I am 5'6" and a bit over 60!

thanks for sharing all of your ideas and pictures! Everyone is so helpful!!

xo Joanne

Sounds like you have 2 great outfits there! Don't be nervous...I really don't think age matters at all and your height is perfect! You'll look great! Will be great in Bermuda:)

Michelle

I just recently purchased my very first maxi skirt at dress barn this week! It is a black and tan chevron stripe, very soft smooth fabric. I plan to take it on my Sept. cruise to Bermuda. I will wear it twice, once with a black top and lightweight sweater and once with a beige top. I don't go sleeveless either.

I am a little nervous about wearing it, I hope I can pull it off. I am 5'6" and a bit over 60!

xo Joanne

Trying to figure out what to wear to travel from Boston to Philly to Venice in two weeks. Usually wear jeans, white top, cardigan, scarf and light fleece (for cool temps on airplane). Kind of tired of that uniform. So am considering wearing a black with white pinstripe maxi skirt and a v neck black 3/4 length top with flip flops (will bring warm socks to sleep in). Does this sound like a good idea? Too dressy for travel? The rest of my family will almost definitely be in jeans.

Trying to figure out what to wear to travel from Boston to Philly to Venice in two weeks. Usually wear jeans, white top, cardigan, scarf and light fleece (for cool temps on airplane). Kind of tired of that uniform. So am considering wearing a black with white pinstripe maxi skirt and a v neck black 3/4 length top with flip flops (will bring warm socks to sleep in). Does this sound like a good idea? Too dressy for travel? The rest of my family will almost definitely be in jeans.

I think it sounds perfect! I would rather travel in a maxi skirt than jeans. Much more roomy and comfy!

BTW - on my cruise, when I wasn't in my swimsuit, I was wearing a maxi skirt. LOVE, love, love them.

Sounds great to me and will be way more comfortable than jeans for such a long flight. Don't forget the cardigan!:D

Jacy613,

I wear maxi skirts all the time and I'm 5'3" and 67 years old!:D

Hi,:) I don't wear jeans on long flights but I don't wear skirts either.

If you are happy and comfortable, then that is all that matters:)

I prefer pants for flying but if you are happy wearing a maxi skirt

then go for it:D

5'2" and always have to have dresses and skirts hemmed. My biggest problem is knowing where to have the skirt hit on my leg/ankle. All opinions welcomed as I am planning on having a dress and a maxi dress hemmed in a few weeks. The dress is more a cocktail dress but I could not get it in a petite size and it has some beads on the skirt so I'm in a quandary. I'm thinking I can do it about 4" above my ankle. I'll be wearing it on formal night.

Mary Lou

xo Joanne

I think maxi skirts are great and I am a medium tall plumb woman of 67. My favorite uniform is cotton knit pants with pockets (black or blue) available from Catherines or Macy's or some such. They are so soft and they do not bind and they are very lightweight. On top I have a sleeveless tank top with a 3/4 sleeve blouse over it. This season it is bright rose with a blue/rose flower print that shows no food :p. I also have a cotton knit maxi dress that the shirt goes well with and wear that as a change over.

I also think that we who are over age 60 should consider wearing compression stockings for long trips. Keeps feet from swelling. I like my Jobst light compression knee highs sheers but also have white over the knee (like crew socks) and travel socks. Better safe than sorry.

I never wear jeans on trips -- too hard for them to dry and they are too heavy. I can have 2 pair of cotton knit pants or 2 maxi dresses for the weight of one pair of jeans. Nice blouse on black knit pants can go anywhere.